The thanks and understanding that should be given to Glennifer, Nathan, and Milton.

Mosquito

oh noes!!
Jan 23, 2002
Columbia, SC, USA
www.myspace.com
My first ProgPower experience was way back at ProgPower II after finding out that Evergrey and Nightingale would be playing only a mere 4 hours or so away from me. I knew many of the other bands, but getting to see those two was going to blow my 18 year old mind. I remember the rumour going around that there might be a third iteration of the fest and Glenn MIGHT score Blind Guardian. But it was all based on the financial success of II. I don't know the numbers, but I guess it's safe to assume that it did well enough since III not only brought us Blind Guardian, but Edguy, Threshold, Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation, Angra, and Gamma Ray at the same fest. That was a huge year. Power Metal was still ruling all other styles and Glenn managed to not only book the mighty Blind Guardian for their first USA show -- but he also booked three other bands that were huge at that time too.

Since ProgPower II, I've had breakups, job loss, family loss, life. I've now spent nearly half of my life going to this festival and it has affected my life drastically in ways that I never foresaw. It allowed me to get into concert photography, it helped me make lifelong friends on this side of the pond and the other, and in doing so has expanded not only my musical horizons but expanded all other facets of my life. It has allowed me to meet many musical heroes and see them perform. I remember seeing that Amorphis was going to play and I was literally jumping around an empty office yelling and screaming and fist-pumping. Those who know me know that I'm not usually the most excitable person (except balloons -- god I hate balloons).

And every time I've had to get a new job for whatever reason -- I've informed them that there will be a few days in September that I will be gone and it's non-negotiable. I will fucking walk (okay I'll put a two weeks notice in...) if I was told that I couldn't have those days off.

My point being is that this festival has been a massive part of my life in every way and it would be ridiculous for me to ever consider not being there -- and I know that these sentiments are echoed throughout the forums, facebook, and even people who don't use the innernets.

I think at this point I've established that this festival means a lot to me. And I'd like to also say that I'm not the kind of person to kiss ass to people. I'm nice to people, but I'm really opposed to saying things just to get something out of it (whatever that may be). If I felt Glenn had fucked up on something -- I would just keep it to myself because I'm not out to insult anyone. But if you asked me my opinion, I would tell you.

NOW -- getting to the point of all of this. Glenn and Jen (Glennifer), Nathan, and Milton: I've know you guys for a very long time. You guys had a killer lineup planned and we've seen it fall apart. It hurt to watch because I wanted to see many of those bands, and it hurt because I know how stressful it must be. Money down the drain, rescheduling, having to worry about audience reaction. Fuck me. Fuck that. It was not the fault of anyone involved in the festival and rests pretty much squarely on our government. Glenn/Jen/Milton/Nathan are on top of their game and want to see the bands as much as we do -- so they're not slacking off and missing paperwork or anything. They did everything they could.

This festival is not a normal festival. This is still a guy (ok -- now guys and a lady) putting his money forth to see bands he wants to see and the hopes that everyone else wants to as well. I don't know any other festival where you can actually talk to the guy running the fucking thing. Glenn (and Jen/Nathan/Milton) are all still fans like the rest of us -- they just have the additional stress of trying to make all of our musical dreams happen. I think everyone should always remember this when unfortunate things happen at the festival.

I want to say to the four of you, that I support you 100%. Sometimes I forget to say these things to you guys verbally because my brain is in ProgPower overload. But I think now is the perfect time to do so. There have never been so many cancellations at ProgPower to my recollection. But you know what? I will be there no matter what. You four have my support and you never need to worry about me complaining about shit because so many good things have come from this festival. I firmly believe that so many others share my feelings on this. You will always have my ticket purchases every year (and then some). I will do whatever I feasibly can to help this fest thrive.

Many people say ProgPower is a family -- and I have to agree with that sentiment. And like a good family -- we pick each other up when shit happens, we don't abandon one another, and even if we disagree -- we still hug it out at the end.

(also much love to the crew -- you guys <3)