The (un)Official Pagan's Mind Worship Thread

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Had you asked me on Friday afternoon who the best guitar player in Metal is, I would have told you, it's a toss up between Jeff Loomis and Michael Romeo. However, Jeff and Michael will now have to battle for my number two spot, because I now know the correct answer is Jørn Viggo Lofstad.

Short of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, I've never heard anyone play like that. Forget the fact that Jørn doesn't miss a note, every note is struck perfectly. He doesn't need to blaze, though clearly he can, because everything he plays is done with such amazing feel and incredible taste. I was simply left speechless by his performance.

I've always liked Nils' vocals, but he's not someone I ever thought of as an "elite" vocalist. However, all that changed this weekend. Never mind his flawless Friday night set, you just have to bow down to anyone who can completely nail Welcome Home AND Take Hold of the Flame.

By the way, Geoff Tate has never sung Take Hold of the Flame that well live.

With complete stars like Jorn and Nils in the line-up, it's easy to forget Steinar Krokmo, Stian Lindaas Kristoffersen, and Ronny Tegner, but wow these cats can play. They may be the tightest band whose ever played ProgPower.

:kickass::worship::kickass::worship::kickass:

Zod

Had you asked me on Friday afternoon who the best guitar player in Metal is, I would have told you, it's a toss up between Jeff Loomis and Michael Romeo. However, Jeff and Michael will now have to battle for my number two spot, because I now know the correct answer is Jørn Viggo Lofstad.

I've always liked Nils' vocals, but he's not someone I ever thought of as an "elite" vocalist. However, all that changed this weekend. Never mind his flawless Friday night set, you just have to bow down to anyone who can completely nail Welcome Home

100% I agree with you about both. Especially Nils.
Pagan's Mind were mind blowing. I would love to see them again.

This year I left with a lot more appreciation for some bands and performers than I usually do. It's great to be able to leave the show loving bands I "kinda" liked, and even loving some I already loved even more.

This was never more true than my appreciation for the guys in Pagan's Mind this time. Top-notch all around. Thanks to them for playing no small part in making this the most fun PP show I've seen yet (having been at each since II), particularly during the jam.

- Chris

Absolutely correct...I have liked them for a number of years, and saw them years ago when they played ProgPower, but something happened to them since then. They have taken musical steroids or something...I have always dug Jorn's playing because its very active and unique. I think you can hear the Van Halen influence in alot of the different chords he likes to hit, and his leads are fantastic. He plays much more tastefully than many metal guitarists who just shred and hit sweep arpeggios each and every time. The fact that he plays 5150II's (an often bashed amp - hell any Peavey is often bashed) and has great tone goes to show you how much tone is in a guitarists hands and pick, rather than the amp. The whole band is just awesome.

I totally agree with you, General. I'm keen on guitarists. I've played one myself for nearly three decades. So I'm always watching and listening for technique and tone. Jorn's playing was masterful. I loved his guitar tone. And I couldn't believe one guitarist was able to create all those riffs, solos, and textures.

My Pagan's Mind photos are posted elsewhere in the Forum. (I know, I know. I posted them before I knew to post them in a more official place. I'll move them as soon as I get a chance.) I was such a fanboy of Jorn's guitar that I took a closeup of it just because I even loved its color!

Bottom line: I think Pagan's Mind exceeded all expectations and performed a darn-near flawless 11-song set.

Bill

I agree with all the above praises for Pagan's Mind, and will add that I must've seen Jorn Viggo checking out at least some part of vitrually EVERY band this weekend. I know lots of guys hang out in the lobby and do check out certain bands, but I swear he was on the floor every time I looked. Very cool!

John Petrucci says hi.

Jorn was, hands down, the guitarist of the fest. Loved his playing and his overall attitude (or lack thereof).

I think their set performance was one of the most flawless I've seen at Prog Power. It was elite all the way. Jorn was beyond awesome, and Nils proved himself to be pretty darn elite as well. I think there's money to be made if he ever decided to put together a King Diamond type of band, or one that at least featured those over the top highs that he does so well.

Britt

They were the main reason why i made the trip. And they are the reason i will remember it forever. :OMG: HOLY SHIT!!! They blew me away. Although, honestly, i expected nothing less. They took aim at a future headline spot.....and it was a fucking DIRECT HIT!!! :kickass::kickass::kickass: They absolutly slayed my ass. The new stuff sonded amazing as well, can't wait to get my hands on it. Bring them in every year as far as i am concerned.

I thought they had a tough spot right after Redemption blew me away, but they ruled. Exactly what I love about ProgPower USA...

QFT.

I feel exactly the same. I thought Redemption was awesome and was pleasantly surprised that Pagan's Mind was awesomer! I didn't think it was possible. :)

I have been trying to tell you for years Jorn Viggo was the man. I really expected close to what I received from the guitar, drums, bass, and keys, but even I was absolutely floored by Nils and his ability to hit the notes he did. I noticed you didn't use the word "ridiculous" in your praises in this thread. That was about what I could get out of you during their performance...... "Oh My God he's ridiculous" Ha ha ha. I was speechless to describe their performance. That was world class. It may be the best I have ever seen by any band.

Bryant

Short of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, I've never heard anyone play like that. Forget the fact that Jørn doesn't miss a note, every note is struck perfectly. He doesn't need to blaze, though clearly he can, because everything he plays is done with such amazing feel and incredible taste. I was simply left speechless by his performance.

I've always liked Nils' vocals, but he's not someone I ever thought of as an "elite" vocalist. However, all that changed this weekend. Never mind his flawless Friday night set, you just have to bow down to anyone who can completely nail Welcome Home AND Take Hold of the Flame.

By the way, Geoff Tate has never sung Take Hold of the Flame that well live.

With complete stars like Jorn and Nils in the line-up, it's easy to forget Steinar Krokmo, Stian Lindaas Kristoffersen, and Ronny Tegner, but wow these cats can play. They may be the tightest band whose ever played ProgPower.

:kickass::worship::kickass::worship::kickass:

Zod