The Youtube Song Rec Variety Pack Thread (tm)

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
*** READ BEFORE POSTING ***

The rec's subforum could use a recurring thread, so here's an attempt at one. The way this works is that you post Youtube videos of lesser-known metal songs that you feel everyone ought to hear at least once. There are a few rules, however, which are enumerated below:

1) You may only post one song per genre in each post. The goal here is quality, not quantity. You're allowed to get slightly creative with subgenres, i.e. "depressive black metal" or "epic doom metal", but don't make up genres nobody's ever heard of before, like "mid-paced power metal" or something. The fewer genres you listen to, the shorter your posts should be.

2) You must wait 5 posts before posting more videos. That means five posts must occur after your last one before you may post another video. As the thread title suggests, this is about variety. We don't need people spamming the thread with 20 posts each containing one black metal song and one death metal song.

3) State the band name, song title and genre for each video. Youtube video titles don't show all of these (or any sometimes), and if the video ever gets taken down it would be nice to know what was originally posted.

An exception to rules #1 and #2 is if someone replies to one of your posts asking for more songs, in which case you may post more. Do not make multiple posts in response to a single request, though.

I'll be amazed if people can actually manage to do this right, but I'm hoping for the best. Post away!

edit: Just to clarify, you are allowed to post comments, chit-chat, etc. It's just videos that the rules apply to.

Here are some of my recs to start things out:

Accept - "Fast as a Shark" (trad/power metal)

Apollyon Sun - "Dweller" (industrial metal) - It has boobs!!

Acrimony - "Million Year Summer" (stoner metal)

Dream Theater - "Anna Lee" (prog metal)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nortt- Till gravens Vi (black/doom)

Psypheria- Flesh Must Burn (tech death)

Aes Dana- Les Griffes Des Oiseaux (black/folk)

Augury- Beatus (prog death)

Orphaned Land- Ocean Land (folk/doom-ish)(probably more well known here than other places)

Mouth of the Architect- Hate and Heartache (modern sludge)

enough for now
~gR~

Augury slay, new album out soon!

Exivious - Waves of Thought (Fusion Metal)

Animals As Leaders - Point To Point(Prog Metal)

Ved Buens Ende - I Sang For The Swans (Erm...Avant-Garde Post-Black Metal?)

The Fractured Dimension - Fibonnacci's Notebook (Not really metal, but still awesome)

Jesu - Tired Of Me (Industrial Drone)

Running Wild - Blazon Stone (Traditional/classic metal)

Rage - Black In Mind (Heavy power/thrash stuff)

Darkseed - Sleep Sleep Sweetheart (Gothic metal)

maudlin of the Well - Catharsis Of Sea Sleep And Dreaming Shrines (Progressive/hard to categorize...but we're going back to their debut album with this one, so there will be more doom-death than usual)

Labyrinth - The Prophet (Power metal, Euro power, whatever you want to call it)

Pagan's Mind - Supremacy, Our Kind ('Prog' metal)

Praying Mantis - Best Years (AOR/melodic metal)

Wolverine - A House of Plague (Progressive)

Chaos Divine - Refusing the Sickness (Melodic Death?)

Protest the Hero - Sequoia Throne (Mathcore)

Live - Where Fishes Go (Rock)

Alice in Chains - Nutshell (Grunge/Acoustic)
I would hope anyone who even sort of listens to AnC has heard this song, but for those who haven't:

Only video I could find of it, audio isn't great but you get the general idea.

i wish good black metal was aired on american tv

i can see it now. nightbringer on jay leno
~gR~

Not very 'unknown' but awesome nonetheless.

Semargl - Jesus-Insect (Black Metal)

Byzantine - Jeremiad (Groove/Post-Thrash Metal)

Armageddon - Godforsaken (Melodic Death Metal)

Accept have done some good stuff
their front man has a solo band, their debut is great:

Now for some bands I've thought of on my own:

Trad Metal

Hard Rock

Proto black metal

Melodic Metal

Folk Metal
there that'l do, wonder if anyone listens to them.

Electric Magma - Snail The Wah (stoner metal)

Salem's Wych - Fight Till The End (heavy/power metal)

Cancer - To The Gory End (death metal)

Wow, I really love their vocalist. He has so many facets to his voice, it's crazy (though the 'core yells are kinda lame). Overall though, the music's pretty wanktastic, and I think I'd get bored of it quickly. Vocalist needs to join another band ASAP.

I just saw them live and they are every bit as good live. You really need to listen to the entire Fortress album. It is leaning towards wankery but it is so awesome.

The vocalist is the best thing about them I agree. He can do anything. The Fortress album was a huge leap from their previous album (Kezia), which was overall mainstream bullshit imo. In some interviews I read they have the intent of being "less accessable" so that is a plus.

Aspid - It Comes (tech thrash)

Payne's Gray - Sunset City (progressive metal)

Slauter Xstroyes - Wicked Bitch (traditional/speed/power)

Artch-Titanic (traditional)

Mundanus Imperium-Winds of the frozen stars (atmospheric black metal)

Powermad-Slaughterhouse (speed/thrash)

Red Dawn (hard rock/aor)

Mithotyn-King of the distant forest (viking/folk)

I just saw them live and they are every bit as good live. You really need to listen to the entire Fortress album. It is leaning towards wankery but it is so awesome.

The vocalist is the best thing about them I agree. He can do anything. The Fortress album was a huge leap from their previous album (Kezia), which was overall mainstream bullshit imo. In some interviews I read they have the intent of being "less accessable" so that is a plus.

Cool, well I'll keep an eye on them and try to check out that album.

loudness - esper (trad)

just a single add for now. totally awesome!
~gR~