There are 11 Days to Progpower. Begin ramping up your Immune System

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
11 Days to ProgPower. Reminder to start your Emergen-c and vitamin regiment. I plan on doing the nutrient heavy diet thing to avoid the PPPlague! Stop drinking. Stop eating shitty food. Start exercising, even 30m 3x a week. Eat your god damned vegetables. Get enough sleep.

The more of us who do this, the less chance the plague will spread.

Washing your hands regularly, not just when you take a leak - at least every couple hours - is far more effective than vitamins.

Hate to burst your bubbles, but there really is no clinical evidence that either of those products ward off sickness.

09074142515aeeb147301d7f69aba38a.jpg

I, for one, will go ahead and ramp up my immune system in any possible way. The only thing I can offer is that I've been doing this for years and have yet to get sick since I started this. And having heard, year after year, the horror stories of people who've gotten The Crud, no thank you.

On the other hand:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/in-depth/health-tip/art-20049178

Washing your hands regularly, not just when you take a leak - at least every couple hours - is far more effective than vitamins.

This. I wash frequently. And never touch my eyes, nose or mouth with dirty hands. I also do the Airborne routine. I had the plague the first PP I attended, and learned my lesson well, and have not caught it since in 13 years. *knocks wood* *knocks it again*

09074142515aeeb147301d7f69aba38a.jpg

I, for one, will go ahead and ramp up my immune system in any possible way. The only thing I can offer is that I've been doing this for years and have yet to get sick since I started this. And having heard, year after year, the horror stories of people who've gotten The Crud, no thank you.

On the other hand:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/in-depth/health-tip/art-20049178

I was not being condescending or snarky, I was just stating that these supplements that claim to reduce the chances of sickness don't actually do that (they were mentioned in both posts in this thread). I know we live in a time of truthiness, magical thinking and the anecdotal fallacy, but I guess correcting A common misconception makes me an asshole. The makers of Emergenc-C lost a class action lawsuit for deceptive advertising for making false claims/misleading people to sell their product without scientific evidence.

But feel free to buy a rabbit's foot, turn around four times, or burn sage I won't interject. But the great thing about magical thinking is that it is usually impenetrable ;) (that is me being snarky)

Vitamin C, however, does help your immune system, as well as making colds and such less severe and with shorter runtimes. Vitamin C is one of the primary ingredients in both preparations. While the overall claims were a little far afield, the concept is not without merit. You could also drink a couple of glasses of orange juice a day to good effect.

And yeah.. Wash your hands and face whenever possible. Pocket anti-bacs have kept me crud-free in the past.

THIS!!!! I go overseas once a year for festivals and there are people from all parts of the world...all shaking hands. This past year literally I washed my hands after meeting people constantly. It sure come across insane but I didn't get sick.

At the Ragnarokkr fest for the past two years everyone was hit hard with ilness after. I sadly was a catalyst for this years. I picked up a bug from a fest a few weeks earlier and sadly it didn't really hit me until that saturday. I still tried to wash hands before shaking hands but it wasn't enough because others also were sick already when they got their.

For a person like myself who is a germaphobe.....wash your hands non stop when you can and get plenty of rest. I almost always assume now I will get sick when at a festival now.

I have gotten sick after I returned from PPUSa a few times. Possibly the flights but also possibly there were a few people that were sick at the event itself, which I saw first hand.... Even if Emergen-C or Airborne dont stop or prevent, that certainly cannot hurt. I take the Vitamin C blast weekly anwyays.

Bear

Eat your god damned vegetables.

A pumpkin cupcake counts as a vegetable serving, right? :D

I've come home with the PP Plague a few times - once it was HORRIBLE. Now I definitely stock up on the Vit. C and take hand-washing to an obsessive level. I also swab down the phone, TV remote, door handles, etc. of the hotel room with disinfectant wipes as soon as I check in.

I've also gotten a flu shot for the last few years. Not super thrilled with the ingredients (or the low effectiveness %), but I've done it every year since I became an auntie - I'd feel horrible if I passed anything on to my little nephew!

All I can say is that I've attended the majority of ProgPowers and I've never been sick from it. Maybe it is because I don't stay out super late afterwards and get a decent amount of sleep.