This week's top 5: Dio memorial

DoomsdayZach

The Professor was right
Dec 11, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.doomsdaymusic.com
Jax, sorry to hijack your friday five thing (it's totally not friday either haha), but i'm totally just gonna do it :lol:

1) What's your first memory of hearing Dio?
2) Have you seen Dio live? If so, what do you most remember about the experience?
3) What was the first album you bought which featured Dio on vocals (Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio, etc.)
4) Which of Dio's bands are your favorite?
5) When you heard of Dio's death, what was your reaction?

Rainbow in '75
2) Have you seen Dio live? If so, what do you most remember about the experience?
Nope
3) What was the first album you bought which featured Dio on vocals (Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio, etc.)
Rainbow in '75
I can pick equally satisfying songs from all of them, just partial to "Rainbow" and Holy Diver albums
It had been sounding like he was going to make it, then suddenly hurt, then personally so old, you know thinking back through the whole era, being unpleasently nostolgic, a wake up call that there will be too much of this

Jax, sorry to hijack your friday five thing (it's totally not friday either haha), but i'm totally just gonna do it :lol:

1. at a friend's house summer of '96
2. wacken 2009
3. haven't bought any
4. his solo band
5. didn't really 'react' in any way. a little sad maybe.

No idea.

Nope.

Mob Rules.

Sabbath.

Disappointed. Sad, but not weepy or anything. Much like with Midnight.

1) Rainbow's Rainbow Rising...great mix of excellent vocals & guitar work.

2) Twice. Ronnie fighting the dragon with a neon sword...and my wife's (ex-wife now) reaction after Dio performing Heaven & Hell..."l'll never listen to him again, he's satanic, l can't wait to get out of here." :lol:

3) An 8 track of Rainbow's Rainbow Rising.

4) Dio...when Viv was in the band.

5) None really...I understood what the outcome could be when l heard "cancer".

2) Twice. Ronnie fighting the dragon with a neon sword...and my wife's (ex-wife now) reaction after Dio performing Heaven & Hell..."l'll never listen to him again, he's satanic, l can't wait to get out of here." :lol:

I can see why you two divorced:lol:

1) Holy Diver on a mix CD of my friend something like 8 years ago (when I was 10)

2) Last year with Heaven & Hell in Q stock festival in Finland. I remember the 20min long version of the song Heaven & Hell being fucking epic and the chanting of certain drunken audience members being absolutely hilarious!

3) Haven't bought any, Rising is my fav tho

4) I like the Rainbow stuff a lot, the Sabbath stuff is cool too. Solo's as well...

5) I was a bit surprised although I should have expected it with the cancer and all.

1) Probably hearing Rainbow Rising or maybe Onstage and being uber impressed with his voice.

2) Yes, 4 times with his solo band, staruing in 1983. Never saw him with Sabbath or H&H. I remember them being quality shows, and Dio never missing a note. Also liked Viv's playing w/Dio in the early years...

3) Rainbow - Rising
4) 1983 version of the solo band
5) I was online when the early false report came in. After reading Wendy Dio's post about him not doing well, I figured it would be days, instead it was hours. Never like losing a hero of my youth (& beyond)

1-"Love Is All" from the Butterfly's Ball....used to play the animated video on kids TV (ABC-we only had 2 channels) in the early 80's...had no idea it was Dio at the time
2-Dio, Y&T, Yngwie 1990 in Portland Oregon....i was on holiday in the US...it was awesome.....and that my second cousin was pretty hot :lol:
3-The first one i actually bought with $$$ was either Dream Evil or Heaven and Hell....although i did get a few 90 minute cassetes taped for me before that with Holy Diver, Last in Line, Intermission andRainbow Rising.
4-For solo...the 83 lineup...overall Rainbow
5-I cut myself......none really...life goes on.

My friend Chase showed me Holy Diver and said, "Check out this main riff, and I DARE you not to headbang!"
Nope. :(
Rainbow Rising.
Rainbow.
I was sad that I never got to see him live, and it sucks knowing that such a mainstay of rock is gone - and one who never took part in all the bullshit that rock singers are usually all about.

Rainbow In The Dark video on MTV. What was that, 1983?

Many times. The dragon is always what everybody remembers. I think all four of his tours - Holy Diver through Dream Evil.

Holy Diver

I'm thinking Viv-era.

Huh??? No way! Expletive.