Thoughts on elitist "once it's popular it sucks" mentalities in the metal community.

I have no issues with a band getting popular and the thought of getting to see them play to crowds of 50000 people IF they keep playing killer music. When a band pulls an In Flames or Metallica, they can have back my fanboy membership card.

It goes both ways. I find it funny when people stick to their guns as fanboys/girls and put their blinders on when a band does an obvious change into suckdom when it comes to their music. I don't owe any band a lifetime membership in their fan club. There are tons of killer bands of all sorts of metal genres that are far more worthy that stick to their guns.

People are so stupid. I hate those who think they are king shit and the gods of what is good and what is not. Everyone has their own different musical perspectives; That's the beauty of the metal world that there are so many different sub genres and alternate ways to get the point across. I happen to love ALL metal, all subgenres. I let the music do the talking. Not some fan that uses their musical preference to heighten their personal facade. It makes me question why some people listen to such an intricate form of art when they have such a closed mind on music in the first place. What's the appeal to hate everything?

Here is a perfect example. Bodom bashers. A good amount of modern Bodom fans have only been into them since Hate Crew, which was the first Bodom album that was easily available in the US. So to say you swear on your hatred of modern Bodom is only a contradiction and a major shoot in the foot. What are you trying to prove? I have been a fan of Bodom for MANY years. I remember waiting 3 YEARS for Follow the Reaper to make it's way to America. I will always prefer the original trilogy of Bodom releases, but nicely put : If it wasn't for those later albums, we wouldn't have Bodom headlining in America. Let the music do the talking. Dragonforce will still be kicking ass long after people forget who they are. There are so many great bands that get shit on for a stupid facade. Long live true metal, and the real fans that keep it alive! Cheers!

JayKeeley said:
Grow tired of metal? Yeah, that would just tell me you weren't really into it to begin with.

Not really.. I pretty much don't listen to *any* metal band that I used to listen to back in 97, when I first got into metal.
There are newer bands that keep me interested in the genre, but I don't know what the future will bring us :)

People change, man... Some things I HATED back then, sound great to me now.. some stuff that sounded great 10 years ago no sound like shit to me..

I know some people who were really into metal that nowdays don't listen to it at all!
I don't see myself going that route, as there are a whole bunch of metal bands I really like... But Metal isn't as dominant in my CD collection as it once was...

Cellador and Dragonforce are both fucking awesome.
And, I'm sorry, but anyone that thinks they suck because they're "mainstream" (which they're obviously not) or cause they're on MTV and shit is just being really fucking stupid.

BlackenedDawn said:
People are so stupid. I hate those who think they are king shit and the gods of what is good and what is not. Everyone has their own different musical perspectives; That's the beauty of the metal world that there are so many different sub genres and alternate ways to get the point across. I happen to love ALL metal, all subgenres. I let the music do the talking. Not some fan that uses their musical preference to heighten their personal facade. It makes me question why some people listen to such an intricate form of art when they have such a closed mind on music in the first place. What's the appeal to hate everything?

Here is a perfect example. Bodom bashers. A good amount of modern Bodom fans have only been into them since Hate Crew, which was the first Bodom album that was easily available in the US. So to say you swear on your hatred of modern Bodom is only a contradiction and a major shoot in the foot. What are you trying to prove? I have been a fan of Bodom for MANY years. I remember waiting 3 YEARS for Follow the Reaper to make it's way to America. I will always prefer the original trilogy of Bodom releases, but nicely put : If it wasn't for those later albums, we wouldn't have Bodom headlining in America. Let the music do the talking. Dragonforce will still be kicking ass long after people forget who they are. There are so many great bands that get shit on for a stupid facade. Long live true metal, and the real fans that keep it alive! Cheers!
I'm your new fanboy! I agree with everything you said! Very eloquently, too I might add!:headbang: :kickass:

There are many who post here with the attitude of "Everything I like is great, but everything else sucks." Besides, we all would love to see metal big again here in the States, yet when Dragonforce breaks through, we have some people bitching about them making it. I don't get this line of thinking at all. I find it extremely hypocritical.

Angrafan said:
Not really.. I pretty much don't listen to *any* metal band that I used to listen to back in 97, when I first got into metal.
There are newer bands that keep me interested in the genre, but I don't know what the future will bring us :)

People change, man... Some things I HATED back then, sound great to me now.. some stuff that sounded great 10 years ago no sound like shit to me..

Yeah but I wasn't talking about sub-genres and tastes within metal changing over time...that's all very natural....I was talking about turning your back on metal as a whole.

I know some people who were really into metal that nowdays don't listen to it at all!

That's what I'm talking about. I don't believe for one second that these people were truly into metal to begin with so that's why it's totally bogus and disingenuous.

I believe that if you're honestly into metal, you stick with it for life.

If someone was only into it for a few years whilst going through some teen angst rebellious "phase" or whatever, then that to me is as bad as the Hot Topic kids jumping on the DragonForce bandwagon for a total of 20 minutes before moving on again.

Quite honestly, I don't think the metal community needs these people at our shows.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah but I wasn't talking about sub-genres and tastes within metal changing over time...that's all very natural....I was talking about turning your back on metal as a whole.

That's what I'm talking about. I don't believe for one second that these people were truly into metal to begin with so that's why it's totally bogus and disingenuous.

If someone was only into it for a few years whilst going through some teen angst rebellious "phase" or whatever, then that to me is as bad as the Hot Topic kids jumping on the DragonForce bandwagon for a total of 20 minutes before moving on again.

Quite honestly, I don't think the metal community needs these people at our shows.

Yeah, I agree that the "rebellious phase" metalheads are stupid, the whole rebel without a cause thing..
It's ridiculous to make a consicous decision to NOT listen to metal (or any type of music)... "From now on I am a mature individual and will listen to lite FM only" LOL

BUT, I think it is possible for someone to be 100% into metal and get tired of it... As much as my taste has changed in the past few years, it might change even more...I don't control those things! :) I can't say I will be into Pain of Salvation in the future! I was sure I'd be a Stratovaris fan for life when I was 14....

JayKeeley said:

I couldn't agree more. Those people are the very definition of "poser" to me.

One thing that everyone seems to be missing here is that metal was NEVER meant to be in the mainstream! It is, by its' very nature, an underground entity always to be enjoyed in that environment. Those of you old enough to recall (like me) remember well what happened in the late 80's early 90's when so many inferior bands were cropping up, getting huge airplay and MTV coverage that it opened a gaping wound in the fabric of metal's integrity, allowing the infection known as 'grunge' to enter the wound and kill the scene almost entirely.

Be careful what you wish for.... as someone once said, "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it." I don't think any REAL metaller wants to go through that again....

Yippee38 said:
For me, to a large degree it is these fans who are really just lemmings. They listen to what the media (be it MySpace, or MTV-2) tell them to listen to. They are the cause of the problems with the music scene. The labels know what works, and they work it. The problem is that everybody wants to be "hip", so they listen to what is being pimped right now. They have no real passion for music. Their passion is keeping up with the fads.
may i buy you a beer? :kickass:

Angrafan said:
I don't see myself going that route, as there are a whole bunch of metal bands I really like... But Metal isn't as dominant in my CD collection as it once was...

Is that why you shaved your head, you big pussy? :lol: :lol:

Petethedrummer said:
I have the cellador album myself, and it's pretty decent....and I see them being mentioned by like 2 or 3 people on this board...but I've not noticed any kind of push/advertising or anything regarding them. Am I just missing it?

CD Universe's top 3 Heavy Metal sellers are:
1. Metal Church
Light In The Dark
2. Cellador
Enter Deception (2006)
3. Dragonforce
Inhuman Rampage (2005)

Add to that:
20. Dragonforce
Sonic Firestorm (2004)
29. Dragonforce
Valley Of The Damned (2003)

Cellador seems to be doing well, and they had an online AOL premier. There must be some push somewhere.

I for one would not like to see Metal become as popular as it once was. I prefer Metal in the more intimate venues that the underground allows for. Nevertheless, I realize it's not cool to wish for artists to keep starving, and that more money for bands is good for the industry.

I wouldn't mind if the sceen was raised to a subculture level from the underground. I think that would lead to more shows nationwide rather than just the typical Jaxx/BB King's dates, and slighty larger venues. Mid sized venues like Eathlink/Center Stage or your local civic center would be fine, but I'd really rather not watch a Metal concert from the nose bleed section of an arena or stadium again.

booB said:
I feel that Lacuna Coil would never have become popular if it weren't for the huge media push behind Evanescence.

--But I think the overexposure that we all got with Evanescence -- you couldn't turn around without hearing that damned song everywhere -- will probably limit the appeal of any female-fronted hard-rock or metal band here in the States. Damned shame for Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, etc. Labels will fear to tread so soon on THAT worn-out floorboard.

Note that I really liked Evanescence and bought the CD happily...but even I got wayyy tired of "Bring Me To Life."

Just listened through Enter Deception and Sonic Firestorm and I can well understand why those bands appeal to young kids who never heard European powermetal bands like Stratovarius, Helloween Hammerfall, Yngwie et al.

The uberspeed drumming sounds energetic and gives propably an idea of being something fresh in the ears of youngsters who don't have a clue about the scene in the past. Lack of knowledge makes them easy targets for a well aimed marketing campaigns.

To me, an old timer, these bands sound rather poor and semi-talented copies of something those above mentioned bands and many more Europower bands did back in the day in 90's. Just listen to Tolkki or Malmsteen play and you'll know what makes the difference. Speed isn't everything, emotion is.

Maybe it is a good thing that this kind of music is spreading in the USA, even over 10 years late, but then again, I'd rather see the original bands gain the honour that they deserve.

Theandromedastrain said:
Were all just going to have to face it, America will never be a nation that widely listens to metal. The fact that people say that metal is becoming more popular makes me laugh. Metal will never be a thriving music industry in America people, the conquering music in this country is rock/pop and the now ever more popular Screamo (for all the little whiney girls out there who can't handle their boyfriend's breaking up with them).

There was this thing a while back called the 80s, you may or may not have heard of it, when metal bands AND hair bands were selling out arenas without 7 bands on the bill. Where metal songs were actually played on MTV (there was no 2) and they had daily metal shows and not just the Ball. So don't count it out yet.

If other people liking my bands helps fund their tours in the states, and helps them to have good productive, good venues etc., all the better. Just the bands and labels need to be financially ready for when the wave breaks off, so that the band doesn't get screwed.