Thoughts on Spheric Universe Experience set?

el_ace

prog frog
Sep 14, 2007
ELP, Mexico
For me, one of the greatest performance I've seen. It was relentless!

This is what the prefix Prog means for ProgPower USA.

What do you think?

I was not very familiar with them, but they put on one of my favorite performances of the fest... and their bass player is CRAZY AWESOME. :)

I got some decent sleep. :erk:

Seriously, tho, they don't do much for me. I only have the first album and with the rest of the stuff I heard, I didn't have much interest in the rest of their stuff.

Jason

I don't remember their first CD being that heavy. I'll have to listen to it more and check out their second CD. I liked it. They were certainly having fun, which I think tends to rub off on the audience.

I thought the singer was a bit of an anomaly. He certainly didn't look the part of a metal frontman. He was really energetic though.

I was pleasantly surprised by SUE! I'd never listened to them before except for the odd song sent to me by someone here or there and wasn't really impressed until I saw them live. That singer has some LUNGS! Wow!

I love S.U.E., but honestly I thought their set was disappointing. The guitar sound and tone was so muffled and muddy that most everything was indiscernible. Frontmanship was obnoxious. Keys were great, drums were great (except for the drum solo which was dull and unnecessary), bass was great. Vocals were pretty good. S.U.E. really needed to play more Mental Torments material. So Cold was the best song they did. Overall they did not meet my expectations, and that's almost entirely due to the horrid guitar sound. Even on their recordings the guitar sound is bad, but live it was just horrible and detracted from everything else.

Never heard a note from them before the fest, but I thought they were decent. I didn't catch the whole set, just the last 3 or 4 songs, but what I heard was okay.

- Awesome setlist.
- Bass player was the happiest man I have ever seen on stage playing Prog. Ever!
- For vocals: I did not know Ralph Macchio was in a band!

I think they played well. Singer kicked ass... maybe he was a bit excessive with showboating, but hey, he earned the right. Bassist is awesome and a really friendly dude. And yeah, the sound was a bit muddy, which is all that really detracted from the show. The drum solo was a bit unnecessary, IMO, but only because it was not a headliner set, so why waste time with that? Then again, the drummer had only been playing with the band for a month or two, so maybe he hadn't gotten a chance to learn all of the songs. Kudos to him for getting up to speed so quickly and playing the songs so well! :kickass:

Second favorite set of the weekend, behind Riverside. They had the most interesting/innovative sound of any of the bands that played, in my opinion.

Plus, they used music from Final Fantasy for their intro. Yeah-uh!

These guys frickin' slayed. Agree that they're not for everyone, but the singer blew me out with his Luppi impression trying to hold the longest note. Superior musicianship. Was really looking forward to their set, and they didn't disappoint.

Great set. Saw all songs I wanted to see, especially the ones from Anima!! Crowd was a bit dead, but so what...they showed why they were chosen.

WTF???

Prog bands get shit on from both sides. People whine if they just stand there... but if they run around the stage and put on a show, people apparently whine about that, too.

He cracked me up how he kept touching and being right on all his bandmates during their solos. I didn't mind him. Just thought he was strange ;)

I enjoyed their set as did the people around me. It was intense.