Top 10 BM Albums of the 00s

I think the DsO thing is maybe due to people allowing their feelings about Fas to shape what they think about past releases. Not that they shamed themselves with Fas, but I really think it's a step back from Kenose and the one-off songs, and I don't think it belongs near a top list when you have a couple of far greater works that preceded it. The flaws in pacing and production are way too major to overlook.

A band like Drudkh hasn't had a backlash because they haven't had nearly as much of stylistic shift, especially in such an uncool direction as getting techy.

MP: OK, perhaps for you yeah, for me, definitely not. I'm saying that people who are turning on it just because it's recently received wide acclaim (you know who you are if you are one!) are faggots.

Well yeah, I agree with that. I'm listening to it now for the first time in what's probably been over two years and it's definitely really cool, but my tastes have changed massively since 2004-2005 which is when I was really in love with it. Anyway, tracks 9-12 are particularly awesome.

Hail - Inheritance of Evilness
Zemial - In Monumentum
Graveland - Dawn of Iron Blades
Dark Tribe - In Jeraspunta - Die Rückkehr der Tollwütigen Bestie
Lunar Aurora - Andacht
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Darkspace - III
Negura Bunget's Om
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve

Now i'm hip

i need to check out darkspace, its on everyones list. maybe also hail if i can be bothered.

im surprised to see genevieve rate a few mentions as well. i only listened to it two or three times and couldnt stand it.

byrne: yeah, you need both of those. Darkspace probably wouldn't place for me (Paysage likely would, however), but Hail probably would.

Hail easily makes the list for me. Inheritance of Evilness may actually be my favorite black metal album of the '00s.

Velvet Cacoon may have been simply a novelty piece of my list, but Genevieve is a seriously warped album. Though its origins claimed by the artists are COMPLETE bullshit, it has a different feel to it then anyother BM release. MURMAID MURDER!

edit: Inheritance of Evilness is easily one of the best albums I have ever heard... metal or not

I feel like not everyone has given Genevieve a fair chance for whatever reason. It's really a terrific album. It does take a few listens to get used to because the sound is rather different from most releases, and it doesn't help that the first track is probably the weakest. I've listened to it dozens of times, and it has some of the richest atmosphere of any black metal I've ever heard. Perfectly fits a foggy day, or sitting by the lake at night. Hazy, dreamy, and full of emotion. I've never heard riffs with such a sense of longing and tension. Heartbreaking and uncomfortable at times, and very serene at others. Amazing album.

I like it too, but probably wouldn't include it. Songs are too similarly constructed and yet listless sounding. Laudanum stands out to me but not much else.

Was VC ever anything more than hype anyway?

I mean, Genevieve wasn't bad, I guess, but it was completely overshadowed by all the "mystery" surrounding some guy living in Portland's Pearl District who posts on the FMP forums and robotrips a lot. At one point he even started stealing pictures of people I know on LJ (who have nothing to do with VC and don't even listen to black metal) and posting them as "band photos" on last.fm... I think that killed it for me.

Several Paysage d'Hiver releases could have placed on my list, but I guess I was taking into consideration that they're all demos. If that actually matters. I probably should have just included the self-titled.