TOP-5 Scandinavian Albums

Ankal

Gloomy light
Nov 26, 2003
Finland
Visit site
Hi, it would be great if u could write here your top-5 Scandinavian metal albums. I think it's interesting to see other peoples opinions about this..
So, here's my top-5:

1. Children Of Bodom-Hatebreeder

2. The Haunted-Made me do it

3. Omnium Gatherum-Spirits and August light

4.Cult of luna-Beyond

5.In Flames-Clayman

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Spawn of Possession - The Cabinet
Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia
The 3rd and The Mortal - Painting on Glass
Ulver - Kveldssanger

1 - At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
2 - Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
3 - Opeth - Blackwater Park
4 - Amon Amarth - Sorrow through the Nine Worlds
5 - In Flames - The Jester Race

1.Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
2.Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk ( Those 2 firsts are beyond reach )
3.In The Woods... - Omnio
4.Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
5.Ulver - Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell

1. Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
2. At The Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease
3. Spawn Of Possession - Cabinet
4. Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
5. Entombed - Clandestine

1. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
2. Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
3. Borknagar - Empiricism
4. Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
5. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

LuminousAether said:
Hmm... Black.Slider has 3 of the same choices as me and one that didn't quite make it... and Dissection??? That doesn't fit... they are generic typical schlock, you need to fix that one man!
Tiamat is a good pick, but I could fix your list too. The vocals in the last track on Masquerade are just atrocious. :) And everything that is great about Omnio is enhanced into perfection on GC's first 2 albums.

1. Atrox - Terrestrials
2. Atrox - Orgasm
3. The Third And The Mortal - Tears Laid In Earth
4. Nightwish - Oceanborn
5. Madder Mortem - Deadlands

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Arcturus - Le Masquerade Infernale
Dissection - The Storm of the Light's Bane
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Mayhem - Grand Declaration of Wat

Not another list. Why oh why? What is the criteria, is it personal taste, influence on other bands, muscianship/songwriting? I still dont see how lists on music can be made, music is anything but objective.

Naggamanteh said:
Tiamat is a good pick, but I could fix your list too. The vocals in the last track on Masquerade are just atrocious. :) And everything that is great about Omnio is enhanced into perfection on GC's first 2 albums.
Garm from Arcturus is definitely my second favorite vocalist of all time behind Mike Patton. The vocals on LMI are all perfect, none are atrocious.

Green Carnation sucks shit. Their first album is one of the most tedious metal albums I have heard, I couldn't even last through one song. Their second album should have been seperated into tracks so I could fast forward past the intolerably bad middle section with that female vocalist (*shudders*). In the Woods on the other hand ruled beyond belief. How disappointed I was when they broke up on such a bad note (their material after Strange in Sterio blew) and then Tchort formed such a tedious band.

1) emperor- anthems to the welkin at dusk
2) dissection- storm the lights bane
3) extol- undecieved
4) thyrfing- urkraft
5) enslaved- below the lights
~gR~

By the most strict definition, only Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Sometimes it also includes Finland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands, but in Scandinavia we go by the first definition of Scandinavia and call all six countries "Norden." There is, as far as I know, no good English translation of Norden. EDIT: Uh, "the Nordic countries" perhaps. :p

Erik said:
By the most strict definition, only Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Sometimes it also includes Finland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands, but in Scandinavia we go by the first definition of Scandinavia and call all six countries "Norden." There is, as far as I know, no good English translation of Norden. EDIT: Uh, "the Nordic countries" perhaps. :p

My followup question would be, then, where in hell are the marduk fans??? I am surprised that Panzer Division Marduk is not picked by folks here, or maybe Nightwing.