In no particular order, off the top of my head, here are a few:

Tore Ostby (Conception, Ark)
John Petrucci
Jason Tipton (Zero Hour)
Mats Haugen (Circus Maximus)
Steve Vai
Eric Johnson
Paul Gilbert
Rik Emmett (Triumph, though he's done little rock in 15 years)
Michael Romeo
Marcel Coenen
Nuno Bettencourt
Steve Morse
The dude from Animals as Leaders
Joel Gregoire (Stride...he's a Steve Morse//Rik Emmett type that can play any style well))
Stephan Lill (Vanden Plas)

Vito Bratta - I always hated to hear that he was an "Eddie clone." Vito certainly took a few pages out of the Eddie book of guitar, but he was much more of a perfectionist/detailist. He was one of the most precise guitarists ever. I don't know if he has ever hit a bad note.

Totally forgot about him. I was a HUGE fan back when he was in White Lion...was always bummed that he totally gave up music and didn't wind up in another brand. Brilliant guitarist.

Simone Mularoni - I am not a good Glenn butt-kisser..... and in fact, I probably don't even give him enough credit for some things. I will give him credit here...... I wasn't familiar with DGM when they played PPUSA, but Glenn put the best shredder I have ever seen live on stage for me last year. I respect Yngwie and Mike Romeo, but live, Simone was the best pure shredder I have ever seen. I thought he was incredible !!

Agree with you here...didn't know DGM, either, but not only was Simone mind-bogglingly good, but he was a blast to watch and put on a great *show* as well as playing flawlessly. Seemed like he was having a blast up there.

Tom Schultz - Much like Wolf and Angus, his tone was unmatched. In fact, he might have set the bar for tone and Wolf and Angus only equaled it later, as they didn't peak until later than the Boston debut. His "singing" style solos were only upped by the great David Gilmour.

I actually considered listing Scholz as well...not the most technical guitarist, but man did he ever know how to string notes together.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. The guy was just a monster and definitely influenced a bunch of thrash guitarist in the world. And another thing is that the guy was half or fully loaded when playing shows and could still just shred like no tomorrow.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. The guy was just a monster and definitely influenced a bunch of thrash guitarist in the world. And another thing is that the guy was half or fully loaded when playing shows and could still just shred like no tomorrow.

Pantera is pretty much hated on this board from what I recall. Not by me, but the one time I did, it wasn't pretty. :lol:

And I don't want to sound like a dick because it's horrible the way he died, but I do think had he not died, there's no way he'd be as respected as he is today. So, I sorta think he's a bit overrated. Great player, yeah but not to the extent a lot of people in the metal scene praise him for.

I have a tough time distinguishing from most of the prog/power metal guitarists of today.

I would have to concur with that statement. Kai is the only power metal guitarist I put on my list...unless you consider Yngwie power metal, though I put him more based on his past material than current material.