Transatlantic/Daniel Gildenlow out - Ted Leonard in

SF Metal Man

Jan 17, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
From Mike Portnoy:

We are saddened to announce that because of some personal issues that have unfortunately arisen, Daniel Gildenlow will not be able to join us for the first half of the upcoming Transatlantic tour.

However, coming to our rescue will be Ted Leonard of Spock's Beard/Enchant to help us out and step in as Transatlantic's 5th touring member

Ted will be standing in until Daniel is able to come join back up with us...(we are hoping that will be for the Progressive Nation at Sea cruise and the European tour, but only time will tell...)

In the meantime, please help us wish Daniel all the best and welcome aboard Ted!

I saw this on their Facebook page this morning. Apparently Daniel is very ill and in the hospital. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to him.

As some of you may already know, Daniel has been forced to postpone is presence on the Transatlantic US tour… He has contracted a streptococcal infection (some nasty flesh eating bacteria) and has been urgently hospitalized last Sunday night. We’ve all been very worried about him and thought about the worst possible outcome, but after a surgery and tons of « atomic bomb » antibiotics, the bacteria is regressing and Daniel should be able to leave the hospital in a few weeks time. Now the recovery process is long and we wouldn’t want him to be too hasty and take any risks for his health. We (D2, Gustaf, Ragnar and Leo) visited him after his surgery and he looked tired and high on morphine, but he still had his usual sense of humor and was optimistic about the whole situation*Now we can only wish him a fast and safe recovery and hope that he is in condition to attend Prognation at Sea festival and also finish the rest of the tour with Transatlantic. We’re confident about that but don’t want to jinx it!

Let’s finish with a little anecdote, I (Leo) was the one driving Daniel to the hospital and we had a small car accident, I lost control of the vehicle on a very icy road and after a few drifts and spins we ended up on the other side of the ditch. However we were lucky and ended up with no injuries and except for a lost tire the car got only a few scratches. During the spins Daniel said out loud « Ok… That too… »*/Leo

I just got off the phone with Leo. The worst is behind him and the recovery seems to be going well, but it could take time. They are confident (or at least hopeful) the band will be able to make it to the ProgNation cruise.

And to those worried, no, it will not affect ProgPower and Remedy Lane. In fact, "Remedy Lane will happen even if Daniel has to go Stephen Hawkings style."

First of all, let's wish Daniel a quick and full recovery.
In my humble opinion he's one of the most talented musicians and lovely persons out there.
I also love Ted and I am curious to see how good he'll be, but I still want to see them with Daniel (I'll be traveling to Berlin to see them live). I think he's the perfect element for them (see what I did there, hehe?)

For those who are into prog music and Transatlantic and haven't yet had the chance to listen to the album, it's just another masterpiece.

Here's a recent interview I did with Neal in case someone wants to read: http://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/Transatlantic-interview-Neal-Morse/18628/

Glad to hear Daniel is doing ok. I won't be seeing them live, but I'm curious how Ted will fit in with Transatlantic. I don't think they've ever played live without Daniel, though I'm probably mistaken.

I have an extra ticket for the Chicago area stop. Does anybody want to go with me? My friend can't join at the last minute. The show is tomorrow 2/4 and with fees the ticket is $43. Seat is assigned somewhere on the floor mid way to the stage, if I recall correctly.

Update from the Facebook:
Pain of Salvation forced to leave Daniel at home for PN14 cruise.

As most of you may already know, Daniel recently underwent a series of surgeries after having contracted a very serious bacterial infection (Necrotising Fasciitis, aka "flesh-eating bacteria"). We all hoped for a quick comeback and that he would make it in time for the Prog Nation At Sea cruise. Unfortunately, while his life isn't in any danger, the healing process will take much longer than expected. Now, after four weeks, he is still in the hospital, having to be put under with general anesthesia every second day for wound care.

This of course put us in a very difficult position, but when Daniel suggested that we go through with the show without him, we rose to the challenge, dead set on doing the best of the situation. So, in mutual agreement we have opted to go ahead with the gig and make it a very special one. We don't want to let those of you who come to see us down. We understand that this might still come as a disappointment to some, but we can assure you that we'll do our very best to put on a show that Daniel would be very proud of.

Daniel: "As much at it kills me, not being able to go, I know they can pull off a great gig. Ragnar (Zolberg, also front man of Icelandic band Sign) will be the main lead singer with his fantastic voice, and then we have Léo, who sings beautifully too, and Clay Withrow (front man of US band Vangough) stepping in to save us again with his singing and guitar playing. I'm really happy that they're doing this, and I really urge all fans to watch this show! If nothing else, than do it for me – I would love to see it myself!"

Who ever thought we would see the day where Pain of Salvation would perform without Daniel.

First I just saw TA in Philly and NYC, both fantastic shows. I had no idea Ted Leonard played guitar too, he was a fantastic fill-in, we all know he's a great vocalist.

Second it's going to be awfully weird seeing PoS on the cruise without DG. The whole band is already different, and now this. Just insane. I just knew as soon as Clay from Vangough posted on FB that he would be on the cruise that this was going to happen. You just don't come back from this kind of sickness that quick, and airplanes germs and cruise ships (sea sickness, potential food poisoning, etc.) is not the place you want to be anyways. Let's just hope that come September that he is fully recovered.

Second it's going to be awfully weird seeing PoS on the cruise without DG. The whole band is already different, and now this. Just insane. I just knew as soon as Clay from Vangough posted on FB that he would be on the cruise that this was going to happen. You just don't come back from this kind of sickness that quick, and airplanes germs and cruise ships (sea sickness, potential food poisoning, etc.) is not the place you want to be anyways. Let's just hope that come September that he is fully recovered.

Please get the show in video for me, as I am directly responsible for Pain of Salvation and Clay Withrow crossing paths. I would love to see that but can't make it to the cruise.

I also will point out that Daniel promised to "come back with a vengeance" comes September, in his own words. I even told him I can ask Glenn to be in scrubs for their set just in case. :lol:

I have two MDs that will be in the crowd that I know of as well.

*Clear* .....*zap*....."ENDING THEME, ENDING TH....*clear*.....*zap*....THEME...RIPPING AT...

Please get the show in video for me, as I am directly responsible for Pain of Salvation and Clay Withrow crossing paths. I would love to see that but can't make it to the cruise.

Too much pressure, man! :loco: I'm an idiot with cameras and video but maybe my cruise buddy (kellsco) will be up to the task. :lol:

It is extremely weird that the band would play a show without Daniel, but if he gives them his blessing, who are we to judge? If anything, it shows just how much faith he has in these musicians. After seeing them last year, I think that trust is earned.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert