Travis Smith

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
Most of us have seen the CD covers that this artist has created over the years for seemingly innumerable metal albums -- I know I've seen quite a few within the prog/power genres and others as well.

But there aren't too many that I've found online at his website, www.seempieces.com, and I didn't see a list of his cover pieces either (it'd be a long list indeed!)

I'm in need of lots of examples of his best work. If nothing else, just the names of the CDs (although images would be quicker than words :)). Someone help me out; I have a good reason for this. :D If nothing else, just post your personal favorite cover piece he's done; that'd work.

EDIT: yes, I know he did the covers for Blackwater Park and for Devy's Ocean Machine CD. :Spin:

I dont believe Travis did Ocean Machine, the credits list DeGeneration as 'All visuals'. But I know he did Terria and Accelerated Evolution. If you go back toseempieces.com and click on 'Gallery', at the bottom of the middle window is a list of links to many of his older work (up until about 2004 or so, I believe, some of his more recent work can be seen in the window to the left). I realize this leaves out some of his best work, but there is some awesome stuff in that list and its a good place to start. There's gotta be a good 30-40 covers there. Plus he did Opeth's Ghost Reveries as well. He did the new Katatonia, which can be seen on their site. Of course, now that Im trying to think of some newer covers Im coming up blank.

Here is a copy of the iist of albums on his site:

[SIZE=-1][Age of Silence] [Anathema] [Anti-Depressive Delivery] [A Triggering Myth] [Axenstar [Beyond The Embrace] [Beseech] [Bloodbath] [Bronx Casket Co.] [Charon] [CJSS] [Cold Hand of Christ] [Cold Colours] [Control Denied] [Cuts You Up] [Daylight Dies] [Deadsoul Tribe] [Death] [Death Machine] [DeCeMBeR] [Demons & Wizards] [Destroyed By Anger] [Diabolical Masquerade] [Draconian] [Dragonlord] [Fifth Reason] [Flotsam and Jetsam] [For My Pain] [God Forbid] [Gordian Knot] [HatePlow] [Hellion] [Iced Earth] [CM Identity 6] [CM Identity 7] [Inhuman Visions] [Jag Panzer] [Katatonia] [King Diamond] [Lacrimas Profundre] [Lilitu] [Lux Occulta] [Malediction] [Malevolent Creation] [Mercenary] [Monument] [Murder My Love] [My Darkest Hate] [the NATO project] [Nevermore] [November's Doom] [Novembre] [One30edge] [Opeth] [Overkill] [Power Symphony] [Prototype] [Psychotic Waltz] [Redemption] [Riverside] [Room 63] [Sadus] [Shadowdance] [SinaiBeach] [Skinlab] [Society 1] [Soilwork] [Solitude Aeturnus] [Soul Embraced] [Strapping Young Lad] [Substance for God] [Subterranean Masquerade] [Suffocation] [Symphorce] [Testament] [The Defaced] [Trance of Mine] [Tweltfth Gate] [Devin Townsend] [Trail of Tears] [Tystnaden] [Unjust] [Watch Them Die ] [Winds] [Zero Hou

[/SIZE]

Pellaz said:
I'm in need of lots of examples of his best work. If nothing else, just the names of the CDs (although images would be quicker than words :)). Someone help me out; I have a good reason for this. :D If nothing else, just post your personal favorite cover piece he's done; that'd work.

Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black and Anathema's A Fine Day to Exit.

Neither have that typical, "Oh, another Travis Smith cover" look to them.

Jim LotFP said:
Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black and Anathema's A Fine Day to Exit.

Neither have that typical, "Oh, another Travis Smith cover" look to them.

Very good choices! I'd add another one to the list... Anathema's A natural disaster! I find to be one of his best works...

Travis is the best out there, IMO. I teamed with him and Mark Briody to produce the artwork for Iced Earth's, "Gettysburg" DVD.

Travis has also done the last three Zero Hour releases. The, "Metamorphosis" re-issue is my favorite of the three.

Off the top of my head, I know he did the last two Symphorce discs and Redemptions, "The Fullness of Time".

The Fiddler said:
Travis is the best out there, IMO. I teamed with him and Mark Briody to produce the artwork for Iced Earth's, "Gettysburg" DVD.

Travis has also done the last three Zero Hour releases. The, "Metamorphosis" re-issue is my favorite of the three.

Off the top of my head, I know he did the last two Symphorce discs and Redemptions, "The Fullness of Time".

Anyone can easily email/write Travis. He has his own forum here people! lol :)

Wkd - peace

Joel-RZ said:
I dont believe Travis did Ocean Machine, the credits list DeGeneration as 'All visuals'. But I know he did Terria and Accelerated Evolution. If you go back toseempieces.com and click on 'Gallery', at the bottom of the middle window is a list of links to many of his older work (up until about 2004 or so, I believe, some of his more recent work can be seen in the window to the left). I realize this leaves out some of his best work, but there is some awesome stuff in that list and its a good place to start. There's gotta be a good 30-40 covers there. Plus he did Opeth's Ghost Reveries as well. He did the new Katatonia, which can be seen on their site. Of course, now that Im trying to think of some newer covers Im coming up blank.

Here is a copy of the iist of albums on his site:

[SIZE=-1][Age of Silence] [Anathema] [Anti-Depressive Delivery] [A Triggering Myth] [Axenstar [Beyond The Embrace] [Beseech] [Bloodbath] [Bronx Casket Co.] [Charon] [CJSS] [Cold Hand of Christ] [Cold Colours] [Control Denied] [Cuts You Up] [Daylight Dies] [Deadsoul Tribe] [Death] [Death Machine] [DeCeMBeR] [Demons & Wizards] [Destroyed By Anger] [Diabolical Masquerade] [Draconian] [Dragonlord] [Fifth Reason] [Flotsam and Jetsam] [For My Pain] [God Forbid] [Gordian Knot] [HatePlow] [Hellion] [Iced Earth] [CM Identity 6] [CM Identity 7] [Inhuman Visions] [Jag Panzer] [Katatonia] [King Diamond] [Lacrimas Profundre] [Lilitu] [Lux Occulta] [Malediction] [Malevolent Creation] [Mercenary] [Monument] [Murder My Love] [My Darkest Hate] [the NATO project] [Nevermore] [November's Doom] [Novembre] [One30edge] [Opeth] [Overkill] [Power Symphony] [Prototype] [Psychotic Waltz] [Redemption] [Riverside] [Room 63] [Sadus] [Shadowdance] [SinaiBeach] [Skinlab] [Society 1] [Soilwork] [Solitude Aeturnus] [Soul Embraced] [Strapping Young Lad] [Substance for God] [Subterranean Masquerade] [Suffocation] [Symphorce] [Testament] [The Defaced] [Trance of Mine] [Tweltfth Gate] [Devin Townsend] [Trail of Tears] [Tystnaden] [Unjust] [Watch Them Die ] [Winds] [Zero Hou

[/SIZE]

Wanted to drop in real quick. Probably be back. Correct. I didn't do OM.
Things have been pretty insane over the last few months and as one result, my attention to the site has suffered a bit. Not the smartest thing to neglect, but I'm trying to make up for it. There is an update planned as we speak that includes the majority of my projects of last year and this so far, and then will come back to fill in the blanks as time allows. Let me know what you think is missing and i'll note it. Also, some new stuff is still on the site, even if it might not be included in the new section. Still have a few kinks to work out with it, and am attending to it ASAFP. Also wanted to say thanks here.

I'll be back.

If I see Travis' art on the cover of an album, I know that it's going to be a good album. Even when the music is not to my personal taste, it's still top quality.

Thank you. RF was right. this is very flattering. My last post does seem a bit robotic. I typed in a rush but just wanted to say thanks and see if I missed anything that needed addressing.

Hi Jim, Hi Babs, Hi RF, Hi Joel!!!) (Paul, i'll get back on your mail ASAP)

NP: Various John Carpenter Movie Themes.

Seems like Trav said:
Thank you. RF was right. this is very flattering. My last post does seem a bit robotic. I typed in a rush but just wanted to say thanks and see if I missed anything that needed addressing.

Hi Jim, Hi Babs, Hi RF, Hi Joel!!!) (Paul, i'll get back on your mail ASAP)

NP: Various John Carpenter Movie Themes.

Travis,

your stuff rules.

-Milt-
-A fanboy of Travis' artwork-

Pellaz said:
If nothing else, just post your personal favorite cover piece he's done; that'd work.

While it's not my favorite piece that Travis has done (which is a tough call, but is likely the cover of Katatonia's "Tonight's Decision"), a really cool one that might not be well-known to metal fans is the cover to Glass Hammer's "Shadowlands."

And to top it all off, he's a damn good person, too. :D I had the pleasure of spending some time with him on New Year's Eve at Norm Leggio's partay (although he did end up leaving before the impromptu karaoke festivities at 4am). I first met Travis back in '96 when he designed the artwork for my old prog band, Perpetual's, cd. What he didn't know, was that he altered my life by doing that artwork and inspired me to learn digital graphics. 10 years later, and I'm making a living at it now. I'm very pleased to have been able to thank him for his inspiration in person.

It's been incredible watching your talent grow, Trav... you do indeed :headbang:

BenMech said:
Travis: you need a simple news update blog on seempieces. Maybe RSS feed too

You also need to convince PW to reform :)

About PW, I'd probably have better luck sawing off my foot with a block of cheese, but I've got my fingers crossed too. I was definitely thinking about making he updates a little more frequent (or at least a little more exciting than "last month I did this, this and that. Have a look), I just can't really think of a lot to say (or maybe don't always think of things being important enough to post about). After I work out the wrinkles maybe I'll start a little space for happeneings/ventings etc. Could be cool. Maybe not a blog. Tha probably wouldn't be very up to date unless it went like:

8am: mmmm...coffee

801am: getting email

845am: still answering email

9am: opening photoshop

1030: saving file

1050am: still saving file...oooh! more email!

1100am restart after crash...

-----------

What the hell is RSS?

Hi (and thanks) Colleen! It was really nice to see and talk with you! Hopefully we'll get to finish the coversation sometime. Don't be a stranger!