TSO/Paul O'Neill show observations

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
Okay, time to pass along something really neet from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra gig here in Atlanta on November 16th.

Firstly, the performance was, as has become almost a tradition, pretty damned amazing, with the usual excellent level of talent we've come to expect from this touring company (TSO West, in our case). Scuttlebutt says we're getting the better of the two touring companies this year, due to some sudden changes, and one sudden death, within TSO East. :( In any event, the show here did not disappoint.....although it would be really nice if they could play here right before Christmas. Instead of after Christmas (the last four years) or five weeks before it (this year). The audience was about 2,500 or so, about half-filling the Gwinnett Arena in half-house mode. Outstanding lighting, some really hot pyro, and some snowfall...and of course the vocalists and musicians were top-notch as always.

Then, to our surprise, after the vocalists and musicians had all been introduced, Tommy Farese, acting as emcee for the introductions, called a surprise guest up on stage: TSO's founder and composer, Paul O'Neill!
This was quite a bonus, since it was Paul's first appearance with TSO in Atlanta. He was, to put it mildly, not caparisoned for the show: everyone else was decked out in the usual dress or tuxedo, and Paul looked like....one of us. Black leather motorcycle jacket, black jeans, long hair...hey! What's that longhair doing up there during a Christmas show! There are kids out in that audience! :tickled:

But the best was yet to come.

After the show was over -- it lasted over two hours, and well-worth the $50 or so for ticket and fees -- the entire touring cast came out to autograph for any fans who wanted autographs, as is the custom at TSO's gigs. Paul O'Neill did not sit behind the tables, but stood innocuously elsewhere in the lobby, flanked by some staffers holding program books, t-shirts and guitar picks. Periodically he'd have someone check the autograph line for any young kids waiting, so they could be bumped up -- after all, tomorrow is a school day! We thought that was pretty cool of him.

For fans who asked for Paul's autograph, he'd typically have his assistants give them a TSO t-shirt, or a program book. Yes, the same items that had been sold at the merch table about 25 feet behind him! We thought that was also quite cool of him. (!)

Like all of the TSO touring cast, which for us included Al Pitrelli and Johnny Lee Middleton of Savatage, Paul was affable and courteous, bestowing my friend Phil and I with guitar picks, since I'd already purchased a shirt and a program, and telling me to "never cut that hair!" :)

...And then it happened.

A lady in front of us was chatting with Paul and getting his autograph, and praised the fact that $1 of each ticket sold had been donated to the Atlanta Community Food Bank. She mentioned that she was involved with a toys-for-children campaign with her church.

Paul asked her to repeat what she'd said, and then produced a one-hundred dollar bill from his wallet on the spot. "This is for the kids," he told her earnestly. "Anything leftover can go to your church."

We were, all of us, flabbergasted...including the woman to whom he'd given the hundred.

Much has been said about Paul O'Neill vis a vis Savatage, but he grew about ten feet in that moment. My hat's off to him for showing the true soul of Christmas giving. Kudos to you, Paul!

First, I think Paul is great person and has done great things for Savatage. I have been listening to them for about 20 years and I like both the older stuff and the newer. I just hate to see the band pretty much fall off the map because it takes 4-6 years to record an album. It isn't like they aren't doing anything musically, they just aren't doing anything with Sava.
I also realize that TSO is a huge money maker for Jon, Paul and everyone else involved with it. It caters to a much broader base of people and I really love them too. I have seen them the last three years here in Tampa and they are some of the best shows I have ever seen. I'm still pissed they are not coming here this year.
I just want to see Savatage go in the studio and bust out an album with or without Paul because they are and always will be my favorite band! :worship:

:worship: I, too have much admiration and respect for Mr. O'Neill. Your story blows mine outta the water, but I have more proof that he lives what he writes in his music. Years ago, I made a post on the old Savatage board and titled it "Paul O'Neill Appreciation Day". In it, I outlined the fact he had positively influenced 3 generations of my family (me, my youngest son and my 81 year old mother). It was back in the days Paul used to post occasionally on the board. A few days after that post, he e-mailed me personally and thanked me for the post!! DAMN!! I've had that e-mail addy ever since and have not abused it by giving it out or e-mailing him too much.

If that wasn't nice enough, I met him at the SavaCon in New Jersey several months later. When I told him I was the one that wrote that post, he smiled and bought me a drink!! What's wrong with THAT pic?? He also signed my MoM's CEOS liner and posed with The Mountain King and myself for a pic (thanks for taking the pic, Kat!!). I am not prone to idol worship or being a groupie (hell, I'm 53 years young!!), nor do I have many heros in my life, but that day, I got pic of myself between two of my true heros!! :worship: :headbang:

Peace,
Chris

SavaRon, I was astounded that they weren't playing Florida this time around -- neither touring company is. There were several TSO fans who drove up from Fla, including one chap who'd seen them in Birmingham, and was also planning to see them in Columbia, SC. (The latter is, I think, a weekend show.)

Paul O'Neill was also handing out silver dollars to the kids at the Atlanta show who were in the meet and greet line. Pretty class act.

On another note, did anyone else at the Atlanta show think it wasn't quite loud enough this year? The people that went with me and I all seemed to think the volume was a bit lacking. I was just wondering if anyone else though the same.

-Mtl

they are truly an amazing group of people. while your stories dont surprise me much, they give even more affirmation to the reputation i see in their good-natured attitude. a class act metal band, for sure.

and as most of you sympathize, i too would love for them to get their awesome asses back in the studio as Savatage

Mtlheart - I think the show was definatly not as loud as their previous concerts in Atlanta. I didn't think it needed to be turned up though...as I don't like it necessariliy when the music is so freaking loud. At a metal concert - maybe. :)

Odd you said that though. When I was leaving I heard one guy saying how he wish it wasn't so loud so he could understand the singers more. So I guess its hard to please everyone.

Wow, I didn't see the silver dollars. That's ultra cool. I know his people were watching for younger kids in the line, ready to expedite them through, since the next day was a school-day.

As for the sound level, when the show started, I had put in my earplugs as per my usual procedure (now). I pulled them out almost immediately when I realized they were stepping down the sound. After the show, my ears felt fine. I'd say the volume level was about as perfect as you'd ever find in a half-house hockey arena.

We are excited for the upcoming show here this year . It is good to know that the show is still acoustically enjoyable in an arena. We have seen the venue grow first in Dayton, then to progressively larger theatres in Cincinnati, and now they are at the USBank Arena. We were so happy for them that the fanbase grew here,but were worried that the "intimate" atmosphere would be a little lost. I am so happy to hear that that the autograph/meet/greet time was still happening. 2 years ago our little guy was given a silver dollar. a roadie popped out of some stage doors and gave it to him, we didn't get to meet or thank Paul O'Neil personally however,but thought that was still such a neat gesture.