Uriah Heep for PPX Headliner!

Whoa, awesome to see Heep getting respect here. My favorite band of all time. The new CD is very good; I agree with folks who say it is reminiscent of Look At Yourself in terms of energy and mix (nothing acoustic or very progressive -- just great hard rock Heep-style.)

According to a press release, the band "intends to tour the United States in early 2009"

If those plans get delayed by a few months, it could happen. Need to email Glenn...

I do not support this. Heep is kind of a progressive band, but moreso progressive rock. It's the same reason I don't entirely support Enchant coming in the ProgPower. Both bands might have metal elements at times but are more rock than metal. On the main page of ProgPowerUSA.com, the fest is called "America's Premier Metal Festival", and I couldn't agree more. To allow the fest to just include any legendary prog rock band as a headliner would certainly include aging bands like Rush, Yes, Kansas, or IQ as eligible to be seen at PP. While I actually own material from these bands and enjoy them all very much, I say absolutely not to a spot at the premier metal festival in the USA.

I do not support this. Heep is kind of a progressive band, but moreso progressive rock. It's the same reason I don't entirely support Enchant coming in the ProgPower. Both bands might have metal elements at times but are more rock than metal. On the main page of ProgPowerUSA.com, the fest is called "America's Premier Metal Festival", and I couldn't agree more. To allow the fest to just include any legendary prog rock band as a headliner would certainly include aging bands like Rush, Yes, Kansas, or IQ as eligible to be seen at PP. While I actually own material from these bands and enjoy them all very much, I say absolutely not to a spot at the premier metal festival in the USA.

I think it could be coheadliner though 4th out of 5.. or 5th out of 6 kind of thing on a night.

Cause Jorn and PC 69 are so metal with & not hard rock at all.

I agree with the earlier poster. It would be worse than what happened to Rage.

Besides, if we're going to go prog rock for a headliner, Jethro Tull strikes me as a better choice.

Out of curiosity, do you support Riverside playing this year? I wouldn't consider them metal at all. I think that ProgPower is an excellent venue for a band like Uriah Heep to perform. I don't think they will be able to tour the whole country, but a one night performance for a bunch of die hard fans would be ideal.

Cause Jorn and PC 69 are so metal with & not hard rock at all.

For the record, I was neither in support of Pink Cream 69 or Jorn as performers at PP. I had never heard of PC 69 till I saw them on the roster, and yes I consider them more cock rock than prog/power metal. As for Jorn, I never thought he was headline status; and I doubt most did. I respect the man for stepping up like he did, but I had been so excited about Nevermore headlining that to see them replaced with Jorn was a big letdown. He sings/sang with only a few bands that I've ever listened to (I never could get into Ark, Masterplan are ok, his solo stuff I've never listened to, etc.).

Now, as far as Riverside goes, I'm kind of in a grey area there. I do like them, and no I don't necessarily consider them metal. They're not headlining, and my previous post was only really referring to mainstream prog bands. And as far as notoriety goes, Uriah Heep are vastly more well known that Riverside. All I was trying to say is that if we are talking about Uriah Heep as a headliner for ProgPower, I say no way, because that would mean any 30-40 year old prog rock band from "back-in-the-day" is eligible for such a spot based on their previous popularity alone...and I don't want this festival to move to bands of that ilk for headliners. Instead, I'd like to see truly progressive metal bands (a la Amorphis) or well known power metal bands (a la Iced Earth) get the spot first.

I think that ProgPower is an excellent venue for a band like Uriah Heep to perform. I don't think they will be able to tour the whole country, but a one night performance for a bunch of die hard fans would be ideal.

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't get to this part of your post...it seems like you assume that all 1,200 people in attendance at PP are die hard Uriah Heep fans. I think Heep is okay, but I'm nowhere near a die hard fan, and would likely not stay around for a headlining performance from them...and given the amount of pure metalheads at ProgPower, I don't think I'd be alone. I think a headliner should have a more broad appeal.

They have it too good in Europe to want to attempt the US. They will be another Volbeat. They get offered the gig, and then says, "On second thought, we will make more money playing in an onion field in Middle Earth, so we need to withdraw."

Sad, but true.

I think Uriah Heep is a GREAT idea for a headliner for progpower.

I mean Come on could hear them rippin into Easy Living... My God that would slay...

I do not support this.

Nothing against Uriah Heep or their fans, but I don't think they fit the fest at all. If we're going to have bands like this play the fest might as well change the name to Geezer Fest. Outside of a couple of their top tracks I can't imagine many in attendance would be familiar with them at all. Their relevance is pretty minimal these days .. especially in prog and power circles.

If they ever do play the fest it might open things up for my man King Diamond ... who by the way would be a much, much better choice. ;) With King not being able to tour this past year due to some back troubles an exclusive performance at a place like Prog Power would probably go over quite well.

Here's a little King Diamond/Uriah Heep tie-in for you. When asked in interviews a few times over the past couple of years King Diamond has said that David Byron is his favorite singer of all-time.

Britt