"What’s The Greatest Shred Album Of All Time?" ...New poll from Guitar World -.-"

Another stupid poll by Guitar World
9glj15.jpg
:rofl:

Guitar World held a poll to determine "What’s The Greatest Shred Album Of All Time?”
Children Of Bodom appears in that poll with Are You Dead Yet?.

They say :lol:
Our editors combed through a myriad of history's speediest, most virtuosic, finger-defying albums to create the definitive list of the best shredders (from three different eras) and their respective magnum opuses. Some were obvious choices, while others turned the notion of shredding on its head, giving credence to virtuosity and innovation over standard wallops of gain and diatonic scalar runs.

Regardless of style, all the albums on this list are deserved entries in the annals of kick-ass guitar. But we at Guitar World want to know which album -- from among these 30 choices -- you think kicks ass the most. Take a look at our poll below and cast your vote.

May the most shred-tastic album win!
And About Children Of Bodom's Album....
Alexi Laiho Are You Dead Yet? (Children of Bodom, 2005)
A classic Eighties-style shredder, Laiho creates leads that are chock-full of taps, sweeps, squeals and scales. Despite the amount of impressive technique squeezed into every lick and run, his main concern is sheer speed. On COB’s fifth album, Laiho races up and down the fretboard with fiery and relentless alternate-picked precision.
SONG: “If You Want Peace...Prepare for War”

what a stupid competition.
facepalm.gif

It's actually a "favorite band" poll
vwmktmitcxjruknhhwoo2firb3.png

anyway, if you want to VOTE, click Here!
(you can vote as many times as you want)

People don't know shit about shred. A7x in first place ? Are you fucking serious. I like some of their stuff, but come on. Voted for Racer X. Noone does it better than Gilbert. Basta !

These are not shred albums, I'd want to vote for Jeff Loomis' Zero Order Phase.

Elegant Gypsy and Rising Force are the only good albums on the list. Still, didn't vote for anything as such polls are extremely gay. Generally though, "shred albums" suck dick.

Ugh, the more Bodom gets the spotlight with their "bad" albums the more they'll make those.

I don't know about you, but I still want something great from CoB's 2013/14 try.

^The density of worse albums in the discography results in people considering them "solid" albums by the band instead of an oddity. I wouldn't get my hopes up and get disappointed for the 4th consecutive time. We can set another New Album thread and brag for years about how it would be cool if they took back the mysterious lake theme and started making atmospheric music again, but they won't listen until some of us writes a gold-selling album.

I never understood what's going on with the Relentless Reckless Forever feedback thing... it's like the interviewers decided fans consider the album "great, and a return to the past/roots"... and the band has been surprised and happy about this - but I have never seen the source of this positive feedback? Of course there is some positive feedback, but the main picture I have seen is different. The more realistic picture lies on the internet, mainly on this forum, as stated by Laiho in a recent interview:

Relentless Reckless Forever has been out now for about 6 months, have you generally been happy with the way the way the fans have responded to the album?
"It’s been really great, like for real. I’ve only heard good feedback but it’s not like people are going to come up to you and tell to your face, dude the album sucks! I mean they do that on the Internet, but I don’t even usually go to our website or check any online stuff as I’m not into that stuff. But all the stuff I have seen, it’s pretty much been positive!"

Of course there's always some negativity on the internet no matter what, but the overall impression I have gathered from fans is this is another on the series of AYDY & BD, and I would consider myself having a more clear view on this than some random interview dude. It's just some sort of cycle going on where the interviewers don't care to study about the band and just google up their recent interviews and state the same questions: "...OK this interviewer says the feedback has been positive, so I'll use that as fact too." I think at least five times an interviewer has asked the band about "the positive feedback of RRF", but it's fucking weird cos I don't see where that positive feedback is honestly. I may be missing something, but I think the point is somewhere someone has exaggerated the fact RRF has a few more melodies in there than the last albums, however it's nothing that makes a fundamental difference.

What I see going on here is pretty much what was going on when Blooddrunk was oven fresh. It got labeled great, more melodic, a return to the roots... the band saying they're extremely happy with it... Just like with RRF. And when it's not hot anymore, the voice in the bell changes. It will be so again.

This is an example of a song composed with passion that's like a flow of heart, an atmospheric, unite idea, climax from start to finish, so full of passion it could create universes out of nothingness. Why do Bodom waste their potential into thrash riffing when they could do this? There was a flash on the new album that proved the passion is still in there, the melody in SKO, but I'd like to see entire songs be created from those moments instead of resorting to thrash riffing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXv7A88RXTQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

And when you compare that to their album opener more than a decade later, you find the energy is still there in the form of the keyboards and the chorus melody, but otherwise there's a lot of regressive energies going on that make you feel on the brink of hyperventilation like all the thrash riffing is preciding a climax that probaby never comes, and are just there to make you impatient for the actual song to start. This is just when talking about the vibe of the music. Maybe it's all about the challenge of trying to make the original Bodom more heavy that causes it to have this diversity, bluntly stated the guitars are more about providing the heaviness while keyboards have taken the important role of melody and atmosphere unlike in the song above when it worked in harmony.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFVJgsAMFMI&feature=related[/ame]

Relentless Reckless Forever has been out now for about 6 months, have you generally been happy with the way the way the fans have responded to the album?
"It’s been really great, like for real. I’ve only heard good feedback but it’s not like people are going to come up to you and tell to your face, dude the album sucks! I mean they do that on the Internet, but I don’t even usually go to our website or check any online stuff as I’m not into that stuff. But all the stuff I have seen, it’s pretty much been positive!"

What fans do they mean? :lol: Those 14-year old boys who's biggest dream is to lose their anal virginity to Alexi and automatically love everything made by COB, no matter how shitty it is? Sure, RRF is a step into right direction after the two failures before, but still it's nothing older fans would listen more than a few times.

uhm, I'll prove you wrong because I still listen to RRF and started listening to Bodom in 1998.

I still listen to it too, but how many songs can you listen to from start to finish without turning it off? After all the long wait I try to squeeze everything out of the album, but I'm pretty sure when it's not new anymore I stop caring about it. It's like the album doesn't want to be listened to. First of all I think the American producer was a bad idea. The music sounds riff oriented but the dark vibe is missing - Hyde forgot he's producing Bodom, not Slayer. The main problem is the nature of the songs of course. There's one or two nice musical ideas for each song but the rest of the material is just annoying, songs don't feel unite, there's no atmosphere, even solo sections are boring. Sad to see the greatness that was HB/FTR being thrown away, it's a murder.

Sometimes it can be the idea of the composer didn't translate to the studio record exactly as he envisioned it (tone, feel, sound) and it creates a big difference, but here I can only see that in maybe a couple riffs of Roundtrip to Hell and Back, I've understood it turned out precisely as they wanted, so it's all about the songwriting.

I usually get angry when Pussymiss Foot Suicide starts playing, then skip two tracks, listen to Ugly and then listen to some other artist.
PFS has some nice riffing in it, but with SKO it's my least favourite track on the album. Honestly I like RRF more than Skate Crew Barrelroll (skaters gonna skate) but that might be because I've listened HCD hell of a lot more than any other CoB record and got kinda bored into it few years ago.

I usually get angry when Pussymiss Foot Suicide starts playing, then skip two tracks, listen to Ugly and then listen to some other artist.

If someone hears you listening to the lyrics of this album he'll think you're a total retard.

I think here they're trying to make a return to Follow the Reaper:

(don't take it too seriously... I don't wanna have the band climb down the ivory tower again and flame my ass)

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing with these competitions is they look marvellous as headlines on the side of the magazine... "The Greatest Shred-Album of All Time..??" it makes everyone hoping to see their favourite artists on the list, or at least curious of finding something new, but this kind of guitar competitions don't make perfect sense (aren't really elaborated, just fans voting their favourite artists) and only end up insulting people and creating confusion.