What has been your most important musical moment in your life to date?

SpanglishEggroll said:
I decided to learn bass. My friend who played guitar that I jammed out with showed me all the Metallica stuff. In one summer I went out and bought all the Metallica cd's. Paycheck, Metallica, Paycheck, Metallica. All that led me to Dream Theater because their virtuoso playing. Then Goober and another friend of mine showed me Opeth. So I went on an Opeth spree hehe.

Damn right i showed you opeth, and dont you forget it!

Ok, for me, my magical moment in music would have to be learning the guitar. I was pretty much self taught, and as most beginners are, i played really sloppy, but with that sloppiness, i tried learning opeth songs, and i thought to myself...What the hell am i doing..its too hard. i learned one of the easiest songs by them, The drapery falls. Took me a few months because i was lazy and i didnt feel like learning the next riff or whatever. So after that i took a break from learning opeth songs, A year later, i nailed the solo for the drapery falls that i was afraid of trying to learn because of my massive suckage. but after that whole year, i hadnt noticed how much better i had gotten. yeah, thats my most magica musical moment.

I'd say apart from my bands and discovering Opeth, the first time I EVER auditioned for another band was on Tuesday, the band is called Harvist. My dad said trying out for a band or even jamming with one was something he had wanted to do his whole life but never got to and just so you know he's able to depress someone in like 20 seconds just by telling people his life story in one sentence. -_-

So yeah I'd say my tryout with Harvist. Went well too. :)

With the exception of Opeth, discovering Tool... they turned out to be the gateway band... I thought, and still do, think that Aenima is an amazing album. Also, my parents Lp's of Pink Floyd, I was in awe of the cover art, so I bought the c.d Wish you were here and that was a musical movement!

My most important musical moment in my life was either the day I pulled out a Jimi Hendrix greatest hits CD out of my dad's CD collection (the CD that got me into "real" music) or my first gig with my band.

at first I started with nu-metal, but my first real metal cd was probably Metallica's Kill em All. From there it was the Slayer and the Megadeth. And the rest is history......
Part 2 starts when I was using the computer, and I saw some downloaded songs from my brother, and I clicked on one, and it was beautiful. It was Opeth's To Bid You Farewell. That song alone turned me on to Opeth, and a bunch of other music, like Dream Theater, Theatre of Tragedy (recently leaves eyes), At the Gates....

And in non-metal, the musical moment was in choir (yes, I was a choirboy) we sang a song called O Come, O Come Emmanuel, that is one of my favorite songs ever, discovering Chopin and Schoenberg, learning to play guitar, and singing for a band, that was cool too.

I started getting all of Van Halen's older stuff when I heard Jump and Panama on the radio. My moment was hearing Eruption for the first time. I realized a whole new world of possibilities was out there.

Pink Floyd - dad would play them when i was a kid, and made me love long, progressive music.
Fatboy Slim - got me into music bigtime.
Metallica - converted me to metal.
Opeth's Advent and the albums MAYH, SL and BWP.

Actually, I have 2.

The first was when I first heard System of a Down. I was 13 at the time, and had never really listened to music before. Well, my friend suggested this band (and a bunch more I forgot), and so I downloaded a few songs. I, at first, thought they were too heavy (how ironic), and left them alone for a while. But, a few months later, I decided "why have all this crap on my computer of I'll never listen to any of it?" So I decided to delete them. However, lucky for me, I gave them one more listen before I deleted them. I didn't delete them.

I was suddenly in awe of what I'd heard, it was a feeling I'd never had before. I just got drawn in by the music, and I really really LIKED it, somewthing I'd never felt before. Like the music was touching a part of me that had never been touched before. I immediately went and downloaded (later bought) everything by them I could find. I found smilar bands through their forum, and my friend. That was September 2002.

In August 2003, I had my second one. I was a pretty big nu-metal fan back then, occasionally listening to stuff like Metallica. And one day, at my grandpa's 80th birthday party, I was talking to my 2nd cousin, who liked some of the same stuff as me. And we talked for a bit, and then he decided to play me some of his stuff. The first track he played was Opeth's 'Deliverance".

And I fell in love. The growls were better than anything I'd ever heard before, the clean vocals were beautiful, and I was just in awe. The whole song was amazing. I sat through the entire song without getting bored once. Then, he put on something else (I think it was Cradle of Filth) which was OK. And then he played Blind Guardian's "And Then There Was Silence", and I loved that too. I was in love with this stuff. As soon as I got home, I went on Kazaa Lite and downloaded every Opeth song I could find.

6 album buys, 2 shirts, a poster, and 2 years later, I still love Opeth. And over these past years I've just got more and more into metal, and music in general.

Ever put on a CD and gone to bed? isn't it neat what happens when you wake up to it?

My most important musical moment was one night when i was listening to Morningrise on my headphones. No one was home, and i was on the couch in the living room. It was so dark, couldn't see anything. Anyway, i sort of half woke up to the end of TNATSW, and something about being in that semi-conscious state completely obliterated me. I can't explain it, but it was one of the most emotional experiences i've had through music. I listened through in that state to the end of the CD, and i felt like i could die. It was unreal. Since that, i've been trying to recreate it in other ways, and been pretty successful. That was the first time though, and i'll never forget it. Took me on a new path through music i'd never have even thought of exploring otherwise.

I can't point to just one.

Sonata Arctica - just discovering this band. It showed me that music can be heavy and beautiful at the same time. Opeth brought this realization much further.

Pain of Salvation - Revelation: Metal is a great medium for smart lyrics and concepts.

Gentle Giant - Revelation: Some music older than me is worth listening to.

Edit - you guys just reminded me of BRI. I could really connect with this song when I first heard it. Things weren't going great with the gf.

Mumblefood:
I do it all the time :)
Sometimes you even have dreams about the songs that are playing at that moment... a couple of nights ago i dreamt that i was hanging out in a porcupine tree tent in wacken while gravity eyelids was playing :)... it´s pretty fun at times.

Yesss! "We're the most cockrockish (!) band in the world 'cause we look pretty'' lol

For me, in all honesty, the Sigur Rós concert..

As I was on the train on the way home, my mate asked me via SMS how it was, trying to think of how to put it into words, I could come up with but three: 'Inspirational, Beautiful, Intense' .. so that's just become my calling card for the Rós concert.. the sound.. the staging.. the lighting.. the 'backdrop' (which was projected images).. it was fantastic.. hearing Untitled #8 (Poppgalið) live.. was just awe-inspiring.. for those of you that know the song, you know the part I'm talking about.. the build-up.. the climax.. maann.. that was intense.. AND IM GUNNA FUKEN MISS EM IN APRIL COS I WILL BE OVERSEAS! I HATE MY LIFE IM GUNNA SLIT MY WRISTS AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! AND ILL MISS OPETH FUCKUCKUCKUCKUCKUCK

... anyway...

Also, my sister was pretty important.. because of her, I grew up listening to Kiss, Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, Poison, Whitesnake and the like.. Her copy of Metallica's 'Black' album became my favourite when I was 10.. by 11 I had Kill 'Em All.. The rest, they say, is history (that is, I found out what music should sound like..) .. And because I started young.. I got over shit arse bands like Coal Chamber, Korn and the like quite quickly, and by the age of 14 I was introducing my 'Metal' mates to bands..

FUCK ALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS THAT ARE GUNNA BE IN AUSTRALIA IN APRIL :yell:

EDIT: Actually, I'm gunna say that the discovery of Sigur Rós in general was fairly damn important.. this band got me over the whole "ooohhh Metal is just soooo fucking good fuck pop fuck rap fuck society fuck you" attitude.. opened my eyes to much more music..

probably when i heard foo fighters' "everlong" in a taco bell when I was about 10 or 11 years old. it made me start listening to rock music, rather than the gangster rap that my cousins had exposed me to.