What is the latest CD you acquired, and what are your thoughts on it?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Today I got Angra - "Hunters And Prey" mini-album from my brother as a Christmas gift. I am rather impressed with it. I really love the NEW Angra with Edu Falaschi. The 4 new songs all sound great. I had heard some people complaining about the ballad "Bleeding Heart", but I think it's beautiful and very well done. The other 3 songs are excellent as well. I am definately looking forward to their next album. The 2 acoustic versions of the Rebirth tracks are ok... and I was very suprised by their cover of "Mama" by Genesis. I had heard people complaining about this as well... but I think it sounds great... one of the best vocal performances by Edu I have heard!

I got Ayreon's "Flight of the Migrator" and I absolutely love it. But of course, I lend it to my dad and he leaves it at his office. And tomorrow I have a 3 hour plane ride and I can't listen to it :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by The Yngster
I got Ayreon's "Flight of the Migrator" and I absolutely love it. But of course, I lend it to my dad and he leaves it at his office. And tomorrow I have a 3 hour plane ride and I can't listen to it :mad: :mad:

The first time I heard that I was in heaven. I don't like it quite as much now, cuz I don't care for some of the power metal vocalists... but there are still some songs I consider masterpieces... such as the gorgeous "Dawn of a Million Souls" featuring Russ and Romeo! The brooding "Into the Black Hole"... in my opinion Bruce Dickinson's greatest performance ever... and the infectious "Planet of Blue".

I also think this is Arjen's most musically interesting and HEAVIEST work!

I'm sure I could agree with you fully, but I didn't even get to finish the album.... Anyway I think I'd like it more because I actually prefer power metal vocalists. I did get to hear "Dawn of a Million Souls" and its amazing.

Reign of Terror "Conquer and Divide"
It is pretty good...very intense playing by Joe Stump. The songs aren't real memorable, but not bad. Standard speedy power metal with some insane Yngwie on steroids lead work.

My latest and favorite of the year has to be Hourglass "The Journey Into"

In my opinion it is the best this year had to offer, above star one, dead soul tribe, archetype, freak kitchen, and even symphony x

The music is a mixture of prog rock and metal which blends very nicely. There is also the use of acoustic guitar and electric guitar which gives the whole cd a warm and inviting sound, while maintaining your interest with the arrangement. It is not too complex but there are many great moments. Not really any "musical masturbation" even though the you get the feeling the guitarist can do a lot more. The keyboardist really shines on the disc fully showing his musical abilities with some incredible solos.

Alright, so the music is great, how about the singer? He does a very fine job. He reminds me of a smoother sounding Jorn Lande (ex ARK and now Masterplan) at times. My only complaint with him is that he does not seem to sing with the same passion all the time as he does on some of the other songs. Still sounds great and when he does sing with power you get blown away.

Now for lyrics. Not the same standard old fantasy lyrics about warriors and knights and maidens or any other sort of fiction. These songs are about the the trials of the human spirit and its perseverance. This immediately drew me in more to the band because I put such an emphasis on good lyrics and the message they portray. This cd helps me when I am in a sad mood or makes me even happier when I am in a good mood. The songwriter (also the guitarist) has a special ability for the chorus' which are all amazing.

The disc is only six songs long, but 75 minutes in length! They sure know there music theory :D

The last song alone ("The Journey Into") is 27 minutes and quite possibly the best song I have ever heard. It is not a minute too short.

The last problem with the CD is that the first song "Pawn", while I love it, meanders a bit and shouldnt be 8 and a half minutes when it could be 6 minutes.

BUY THE CD!!!

www.hourglassband.com (the bands site)

www.lasercd.com (where you can buy it from)

Originally posted by †Russel Allen†®
My lastest one was Angra - Rebirth, which I recently bought, to complete my Angra collection, among with my mom's Angra CDs, as well... heheheh!!

GREAT album!

Soul of Ice: Hourglass sounds really interesting. I will check them out.

Helloween - Better Than Raw
+
Roger Waters - Amused To Death

tomorrow i'm going to order The Odyssey !!!! yeah !
and Viper - Theatre Of Fate

there are a lot of CD's i wanna buy, but i always wait till i find them with a real good price :D

Santa brought us:

Adagio - Sanctus Ignis (WOW) :D
Andromeda - Extension of the Wish :cool:
Kamelot - Fourth Legacy ;)
Therion - Secret of the Runes :rolleyes:

and....a SymX Live CD promo poster !!!!!:hotjump:

Hey azal > Right, I owe you a beer (no Thy Majestie cometh) :eek:

You know, maybe I am optimistic, but I think,that when you listen to Symphony X - there can be only two outcomes ---> or you will be fallen in love with them , or you won't get them at all.
I think , that people who listen Limp Bizkit don't value this music as something especial, they may be satisfied by mp3. But Symphony X - it is something completely different. Their music is... a THING. A part of your life . Like there were a signature : Sleep Eat Symphony X. So you will buy a disk.
That is why I think that mp3s are wholesome for Symphony X!

These are some (I think i'll buy some more these days :D )

Decapitated-Nihility- great :headbang:
Darkane-Insanity- It fucking rocks! :headbang:

those are the newest CD's :D

ROCKS...Viper - Theater of Fate is a great CD.
really shows the blooming genius that Matos was destined to become.

Pharoah....good call...and great list (even though I hate Adagio :) )