where are all the david bowie fans?

well speak up. musical genius

Probably on a different music board...

I like him to an extent, though Ziggy Stardust is the only album of his I enjoy listening to all the way through.

I think musical genius is pushing it a bit - Erik Satie was a genius, Alexander Scriabin was a genius - but there's no doubting his talent.

He truly is - a musical chameleon. Hunky Dory has to be my favourite, and maybe then Station to Station.

my favorite album by him is young americans. his ziggy era stuff other than pin ups is great although not a huge fan of diamond dogs.

do you own any of the 2 disc special anniversary sets that were released? i have the young americans cd/dvd 2 disc set but there are 2 cd sets of ziggy, aladdin sane and diamond dogs. also in october a 2 cd set of space oddity is coming out

Probably on a different music board...

I like him to an extent, though Ziggy Stardust is the only album of his I enjoy listening to all the way through.

I think musical genius is pushing it a bit - Erik Satie was a genius, Alexander Scriabin was a genius - but there's no doubting his talent.

look at all the styles of music he influenced, participated in and practically invented. bowie was alternative before such a thing existed

i like his stuff ok. but i'll always have a copy of David Bowie at The Tower Philidelphia. because my dad is actually in one of the inserts standing in front of the stage. :) coolest thing ever. he always talked about that show, and we got the cd for him for his birthday one year, and there he was!

001-1.jpg

look at all the styles of music he influenced, participated in and practically invented. bowie was alternative before such a thing existed

Granted I wasn't around at the time, but no one artist ever invents a style. I guarantee there were plenty of uncredited artists doing alternative things in a way just as inventive as him. Time has a way of filtering things to elevate certain people to undeserved godlike levels.

Granted I wasn't around at the time, but no one artist ever invents a style. I guarantee there were plenty of uncredited artists doing alternative things in a way just as inventive as him. Time has a way of filtering things to elevate certain people to undeserved godlike levels.

true but for certain bowie helped invent the type of sound NIN and bands like that had and helped invent new wave which was popular in the early 80's and helped push bands like the stooges, moot the hoople and the velvet underground to push, grunge, punk and glam rock to the popularity and influence it became on others.

still the guy did glam, pop, disco, soul, techno, new wave, rock, even lounge style sinatra stuff and an opera tune. i hear hints of country and heavy metal in his work too

10+ he was a product of his era like all the other weird artists of that time...

true but for certain bowie helped invent the type of sound NIN and bands like that had and helped invent new wave which was popular in the early 80's and helped push bands like the stooges, moot the hoople and the velvet underground to push, grunge, punk and glam rock to the popularity and influence it became on others.

still the guy did glam, pop, disco, soul, techno, new wave, rock, even lounge style sinatra stuff and an opera tune. i hear hints of country and heavy metal in his work too
no, read above.

no he wasn't and i've seen tons of bands credit the berlin trilogy (low, heroes, lodger) as a turning point in european music. i missed all the ziggy stardusts before him. you know people claming the were aliens from another planet sent here to rock. totally original idea. how many very uncoventional artists who actual did artistic things were successful while being really avant garde?

The second half of Low and Heroes (the ambient tracks with Brian Eno) is some of the best stuff I have ever heard. Low is probably my favourite.

no he wasn't and i've seen tons of bands credit the berlin trilogy (low, heroes, lodger) as a turning point in european music. i missed all the ziggy stardusts before him. you know people claming the were aliens from another planet sent here to rock. totally original idea. how many very uncoventional artists who actual did artistic things were successful while being really avant garde?

you missed T-Rex and other preceding glam rockers? ziggy's not a "totally original" idea, there's no such thing. there was cross dressing, there were stories about aliens, there were musicians, there was rock music, combine it all, voila. berlin trilogy picked up on electronic music happening in germany, the place he moved to in order to get away from his drug habit. when he went to philadelphia he made a soul album. see where i'm coming from? he is a musical magpie.

success, well that's a different argument. but even at 17 bowie showed on his early recordings his ability to assimilate things he liked, and really just imitate them. admittedly that's what everyone does when they're 17, but it's his voice that provides distinctiveness to what he does, because he stays fresh by changing styles so often, while never overreaching or surpassing the genre he's in, with the possibly exceptions of Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane (just a fantastic collection of songs) and Station to Station.