which 'era' of Porucpine Tree do you prefer?

I only have In Absentia, Deadwing, Signify, Insignificance, and Coma Divine and I have to say In Absentia and Coma Divine are the best ones by far and since Coma Divine is a live album, I guess it doesn't really count... I want to hear Lightbulb Sun since everyone is always saying good things about it. But In Absentia is just awesome.

I love it all, and I'm currently spinning Deadwing over and over, but I think I'd have to say that Insignificance and On the Sunday of Life. Voyage 34 as well. Mostly because the latter two albums slapped me in the face and made me listen again and again to comprehend it, let alone enjoy it. I like it just that tad more because I didn't enjoy it straight away, if that makes sense. Great act. Still debating whether to go to their gig this week, given its a 1.5 hr trip each way...

annt said:
I think I'm quite alone in not liking the later/mid era (Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun) at all. Just too "pop" for my tastes.
Most people I know adore Lightbulb Sun, and Stupid Dream is one of the least popular post-delerium albums but I think it's brilliant and so do most.

What I love about PT is they prove pop is not a dirty word. They mix it right in with the rest of their style and make it brilliant.

I'm one of the people who got into them through In Absentia and that's still my favourite PT album. Everything prior to that was a bit too soft, pussy-rock to me, but I mean that's just a personal thing and I like my music with a bit of an aggresive edge.

Moonlapse said:
I'm one of the people who got into them through In Absentia and that's still my favourite PT album. Everything prior to that was a bit too soft, pussy-rock to me, but I mean that's just a personal thing and I like my music with a bit of an aggresive edge.
IA is my favorite and first album too, but not because of the heaviness. I love the softer stuff too, and I think PT has gotten as heavy as they really need to be. I don't anticipate them getting a whole lot heavier.

Caesar Metallius said:
Deadwing, In Absentia, and Lightbulb Sun are the best, imo. The really early ambient/tripping balls stuff is only mediocre.
The early psychedelic stuff (TSMS) is more mood music, I think. And the first half of Voyage 34 is great, but the second two phases are weak.

Hmmm...ive heard all but Up The Downstair and Stupid Dream now, making picking a fav very hard...I love very personal psych-pop of Lightbulb Sun, but I also love dark-rock of In Absentia. TSMS is a full on prog-feast, but Voyage 34 is full of wonderous ambient soundscapes...

I think im going to have to go with Deadwing. This album should never be underrated, its marriage of prog, hard rock, pop, psych and ambience so tightly done and refreshing that it can be listened to over and over again, without growing stale (except for Halo; the album could've done without that song). The energy and confidence it brims with put a smile on my face every time. Basically, Deadwing feels like the way forward, and as great as their past works have been, theres just something enticing about Deadwing's newness.

I think In Absentia is their best, either that or Lightbulb Sun. I really am not a big fan of Deadwing besides "Arriving Somewhere," and I really have a hard time staying awake through the pre-stupid dream material. Recordings is pretty damn good too.

i've only got In Absentia, so i can't really say which material of PT's i prefer.. Fucking amazing album though. Any recommendations to albums that are better/as good as In Absentia? The Deadwing powertabs sound a little boring :(

opeth_353 said:
i've only got In Absentia, so i can't really say which material of PT's i prefer.. Fucking amazing album though. Any recommendations to albums that are better/as good as In Absentia? The Deadwing powertabs sound a little boring :(

Deadwing is pretty boring besides "Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here." Their earlier stuff really isn't that much like in Absentia. Try downloading Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun, but you might hate them.

my fave albums of steve's are def the sky moves sideways, and in absentia. others are def good but just dont hit it off so sweetly for me.