Which speakers would you recommend ?

abaz

New Metal Member
Apr 24, 2009
Hi, as I've been trying to begin to produce some riffs lately, I'm considering buying speakers to be able to really work on my mixes since I only have a shitty hi-fi and low priced headphones.

So I looked around and asked some friends, and I'm now interested in the Yamaha MSP 5 studio and the KRK Rokit 8 G2.

What are you opinion about those ? And which one would you recommend for a beginner ?
I'm attended a MAO school next year and would like to begin to gather some good stuff.

Thx for reading

I got a pair of Mackie MR8s for $350 used - I love them. I would recommend against the KRKs. They tend to be a bit inaccurate, though you can still get great mixes if you learn them and have a good room.

Thx for your replies !

I have a pair of yamaha HS80's and they are great

I heard they have an "event" (don't know how this is called in english) in the back and that they have to be at a minimum distance from a wall, and I can't really put them far from mine :/
But I saw a lot of people using them, so maybe they are better than the MSP5 studio, have you ever heard about them too ?

Get the best you can afford.

Those two sets are the "best" (if we refer to the price) that I can actually afford !

I got a pair of Mackie MR8s for $350 used - I love them. I would recommend against the KRKs. They tend to be a bit inaccurate, though you can still get great mixes if you learn them and have a good room.

Never really heard of the mackies but I saw a lot of people using some, as well as the yamaha MSP 5 studio, or the HS80m, or some KRKs !

So for you I'd better go for the yamaha, or even some mackies ?

Yamaha HS50's/80's are good.

Get your room treated though or all the money in the world spent on monitors wont matter for shit.

By "treated" you mean having foam shields (Don't know how it is called in english too.) on my walls ? 'Cause I know I'll have to go through this, but tell me if I have to do something else !

Are the HS80 better than the HS50 (or even the MSP 5 ?)
Do I really have to have them far from my wall ?

passive alesis monitor one MK IIs, i liken them to the NS10s in many respects, not as harsh, but they also sound nothing like the active versions of the alesis ones.

tbh my mate is always checking mixes he does on his krk rokits on my setup as you can hear alot more detail, across the frequency range!