White Willow cancels US mini-tour

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
It is with extreme regret that I must announce that White Willow will be canceling their three performances in the US next month:

Progday, Chapel Hill, NC 9/3
Orion Studios, Baltimore, MD 9/10
NJ Proghouse, Metuchen, NJ 9/11

An explanation is in order. The band received (and accepted) an invitation to perform at Progday in North Carolina. The money offered the band was small but they were anxious to come over to the States again. The only way they could make that date happen financially would be if other gigs were arranged. I was able to set up dates at Orion Studios and NJ Proghouse. Unfortunately the booking agent who was to set up the Philadelphia gig disappeared and no date was arranged. I explored the possibility of a Boston date but was turned down by the local promoter (on two separate occasions actually). As a last minute resort I investigated the possibility of the band performing in Canada. The risk of their being allowed entry back in the US was too great. So they were left with only three gigs and this put the band in a tough situation – it looked as though they would lose thousands of dollars.

Although finances were the major issue there are other serious problems that developed. The band’s flautist, Ketil Einarsen, informed the other members that he would be unable to make the tour due to an important personal matter that forced him to stay behind in Norway. Originally Ketil had thought he would be able, at the minimum, to make the Progday date but that turned out not to be possible. With the prospect of no flautist it would have required the band to re-arrange all of their material. This created a daunting situation that was exacerbated by the fact that their rehearsal space was literally just condemned so they had no place to play. The cumulative effect caused the band to contact me yesterday and notify me that they had decided that it was an untenable situation and they had to cancel.

My apologies go out to White Willow’s fans. It was never their intention to let you down but the problems just became insurmountable. I am certain that a statement from them will be forthcoming. With extreme embarrassment, I offer my apologies to the Progday committee, Mike Potter at Orion Studios, and Jim Robinson of NJ Proghouse. You have been great supporters of our bands and I am sorry we let you down.

Ken Golden
The Laser’s Edge
www.lasercd.com