Whitesnake - Whitesnake

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
WHITESNAKE – WHITESNAKE

The year is 1987, hair metal is at the top, and Whitesnake releases their big break through album. Though this was the bands peak they have been making classic blues driven rock since the 1970’s. 1984’s Slide It In suggested this is where the band was going with this album which brought on a more pop but a more metal sound. The tag team of David Coverdale and John Sykes on guitar is something out of this world. Though this is a very pop oriented album it is one of the greatest hard rock/heavy metal albums to ever be released. It kicks off with "Crying In The Rain" and rocks all the way through to "Don’t Turn Away". Sandwiched in the middle of the album is the mega power ballad "Is This Love" which had a memorable video back in ’87. When hearing the opening guitars by Syke’s and Coverdale’s howling on "Bad Boys" I get the chills every single time. This song is fucking metal. Syke’s shreds away and performs an amazing solo mid way through the song. "Still of the Night" is a memorable tune with an astonishing guitar break down that knocks me off my feet every time I hear it. This album also produced what is Whitesnake’s biggest hit "Here I Go Again" which is recognized as a hard rock anthem. The band’s follow up Slip of the Tongue was very good but I still say that this is the definitive Whitesnake album. This album should be owned by anyone who considers themselves a hard rock/heavy metal fan. If you get the chance to see Whitesnake live anytime soon please do so. Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich are the two current guitarists and it is just unreal to witness it live. If you have any doubts about this band being metal they have a dvd on the way sometime in 2005, pick it up and afterwards you’ll be picking your jaw off the ground.

5 out of 5