Who do you want for BAR Fest 2008?

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
And don't tell me there won't be another... BAR Fest is scheduled to run until at least 2017... TEN MORE, right Dave? :lol:

At the risk of being an annoying fan boy prodding at the promoters with unreasonable requests, I really think Arena would be perfect for BAR Fest. They have that neo-prog sound with just enough heavy metal in it to entice the power metal fans inevitably drawn to this festival. The passion in their guitar solos and epic quality of the vocals really draws me to this band. I really think they'd be perfect as a headliner.

Another idea might be an Ice Age reunion. I don't know how familiar people are with their music, but as fans growing up with the Magna Carta reemergence of prog rock into the main stream (Enchant anyone?), perhaps they'd be a great fit.

Other great headliner ideas would be Marillion or Porcupine Tree. I'd love to see one of those high profile bands headline a festival like this.

Just some ideas that have probably been thought of before but not publically stated.

The Michael

PS: Enchant needs to be the Evergrey (comparing to Prog Power) of BAR Fest and continuously keep coming back :kickass:

I'd go to great lengths to see Ice Age! What an awesome suggestion!

If you want to make my husband really, really happy, have Buckethead.

I'd love to see Thessera.... I think would fit with the vibe well, very progressive, young, probably affordable and KILLER!!

I dig Axenstar for the heavier side of things...

Porcupine Tree or Blackfield cool

Maybe some Elegy, Arcturus, Anathema, Nocturnal Rites....

OK I'm gonna stop now

Dragonland

OK really I'm Done

Labyrinth

No really stop please!! OK now I'm talking to myself haha!!

Wolverine....

Ahhhh I can't stop!!

Riverside....

Ok I'm done....

For now....

I think....

yeah I am...

For Now....

Amaran's Plight

Psyche!! :lol:

First let me say that Zero Hour should never not play BARfest......:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Orphaned Land - Really want to see these guys. Heard they are amazing live and I love their stuff.

Sieges Even - "The Art of Navigating By the Stars" 'nuff said.

Andromeda - This band is soooooo kickass!!!

Spheric Universe Experience - Man, I just looked at the bands i've listed and noticed that three of them will be playing PP Scandinavia. Awesome Stuff! Too bad I can't go to that fest too.........killer lineup. Maybe we can get one or a couple of those over here for BARfest (*fingers crossed).

Symphony X :headbang: .........it had to be said.

Planet X - Man I can't wait to pick up their upcoming disc. Would be a perfect fit for this fest IMO.

Mevyn - Ever since they were annonced for TMF i really got into this band.

All Too Human - They are based just a couple states away and I dig their stuff.

Sun Caged - Just discovered this band a couple months back.....very good stuff!

Vision Divine - These guys are top notch. Can't wait for "The 25th Hour".

I would love to see all of these bands along with dozens and dozens of others, these are ust the first that came to mind that I thought would fit the BARfest Prog. Dominated Theme...........(which i love by the way). :headbang:

Some the of the best suggestions I have seen! Nice!

Michael we will be invloved for the long run with this one and behind David always! Thanks for the cool words again, you rule.

This festival is going to grow big time!

Like Jasun said in another post! David is in this for the RIGHT reasons! He is the perfest guy for this! he is not doing this to stroke his ego, make a bunch of money or have his favorites in every year! This festival is all about the music!

And it is not just metal or progressive, it is all about kick ass bands who are great people!

Also he has some heavy hitters behind him fully now with major contacts in the industry all around and an amazing charity group as well. Like big time!

Sky is the limit with BARfest!

OK, Here goes:

Seraphim (Taiwan - Symphonic Power metal. Called "the Nightwish of Asia")
The Legion of Hetheria (Mexico - Female fronted power metal)
Akira Takasaki or Loudness (Japan)
Kahtmayan (Iran, now California) - Instrumental Power Metal band recently signed by Roadrunner
LORD (Australia)
Mastermind (Japan - Damn good power metal)

Peace,
Ray C.

Some great suggestions all around. I really like the Andromeda suggestion. Another great fit might be Adagio. They'd be awesome for this!

Hopefully Angra will be headlining '08. And Symphony X would be great! Oh man... Epica, Kamelot... the possabilities are endless :kickass:

There's a lot of heavy metal festivals going around though, and it'd be nice to have more a prog thing going on with this one, without being exclusive to said genre. You rarely get to see prog bands these days... and if bands like Marillion can come to the US a little more often due to it... than I say let's run with it!

The Michael

Guys-- keep the suggestions coming-- Bear, Eric and I are all looking at bands right now, and trying to shape the direction of the festival for next year- It is damn near impossible to keep up with the scene totally-- so I appreciate all of your input. Ed is right-- I hope to shape this fest above by the right mix of bands AND personalities to make this a good experience for all involved. This festival will have a unique identity different from the other festivals out there-- there is no need to recreate another ProgPower or Chicago Power Fest- we have to find the right mix that works here-- It is definitely harder since many bands are on the rise and are touring more through the US- (Sonata Arctica, Sy X, Epica, Kamelot, Edguy)

We will see what comes out for next year!!

Sieges Even +1! I cannot get enough play out of "The Art of Navigating By the Stars." Amazing!

Spheric Universe Experience +1! This french prog metal band is awesome! It's one of my newest CDs. I discovered it quite by accident while poking around MySpace and I bought the CD immediately.

Nobody's mentioned these yet:

Circus Maximus

Fates Warning

3 (From Woodstock, New York -- Signed with Metal Blade; on tour right now with Porcupine Tree... I saw them twice last year. They opened for Fates Warning in Santa Ana. Also toured with Coheed & Cambria.)

Kansas

King's X

That's a good start. :)

Some great suggestions all around. I really like the Andromeda suggestion. Another great fit might be Adagio. They'd be awesome for this!

Hopefully Angra will be headlining '08. And Symphony X would be great! Oh man... Epica, Kamelot... the possabilities are endless :kickass:

There's a lot of heavy metal festivals going around though, and it'd be nice to have more a prog thing going on with this one, without being exclusive to said genre. You rarely get to see prog bands these days... and if bands like Marillion can come to the US a little more often due to it... than I say let's run with it!

The Michael

Michael-- you are dead on with what we are trying to do-- trying to have a prog vibe as part of this to make it somewhat different--

Adagios first two albums are some of my favorite in the genre-- ever-- it is sad that Dominate with Gus took a different turn towards darker territory--

Why don't you do what might be the better tack and look across the Pacific? It would make BAR Fest unique as it does not have the same bands that every other festival is trying to land. Furthermore, California is home to the largest concentration of Asians in the USA. You do not need to constantly go after the same pool of fans and supporters that every promoter and their mother is going after. You can create a market all for yourself by marketing a festival that has a headliner from Japan or Asia. All you have to do is market to the Asian community as well as the usual suspects on UM.

Is it a gamble? Absolutely. Will it cost money? Sure. Will it pay off long-term? Guaranteed. I wish you guys all the best whatever tack you decide.

Peace,
Ray C.

Go for LOUDNESS!! lol. Seriously though PLEASE bring over Black Fucking Majesty!!! They have 2 solid records and getting ready to release a third. They are also starting to get play on the Euro Fest circuit this summer.

Its great to see that our fans of the fest are right in line with our thought process, cool beans...

I have many bands I would like to see at the fest, hopefully some of them will make it :headbang: , I will keep that list to myself for the time being :p

Bear

Its great to see that our fans of the fest are right in line with our thought process, cool beans...

I have many bands I would like to see at the fest, hopefully some of them will make it :headbang: , I will keep that list to myself for the time being :p

Bear

U fucking tease Bear!!

Pyramaze with Barlowe would totally kick ass!!!

Sharward had some awesome suggestions with Fates Warning and 3, I've seen 3 before and it was an absolutely incredible performance.

I see some people interested in seeing Angra, but there's one Brazilian artist I would much rather see: Andre Matos! This guy's been responsible for some of the most amazing music in Angra and Shaman, and since he's just starting his solo career now, it seems like it would be a great time for a North America debut!

Sharward had some awesome suggestions with Fates Warning and 3, I've seen 3 before and it was an absolutely incredible performance.

I see some people interested in seeing Angra, but there's one Brazilian artist I would much rather see: Andre Matos! This guy's been responsible for some of the most amazing music in Angra and Shaman, and since he's just starting his solo career now, it seems like it would be a great time for a North America debut!

If we're going Brazil we need Thessera!:headbang: :worship: :heh:

How about Beto Vasquez Infinity? Maybe if you throw in some more money, Beto would bring some singer named Turunen to perform with him.

Got a couple more suggestions for today........

DGM - These guys were brought to my attention by their announced headlining of PP Europe. Awesome Stuff! Their new album "Different Shapes" looks to be even better then their previous "Misplaced" which was awesome by the way. Don't believe me?.......check out their new tune here http://www.dgmsite.com/.

Speechless - An instrumental Prog Rock band based in Atlanta. Man their debut "Time out of Mind" is smoking! See for yourself, http://www.myspace.com/speechlesstheband.

Pendragon - Just discovered this band a little while back. I think they would be awesome to check out live, and this fest would be the place for them. Man there are so many great bands that have been around for a long time that it just seems like i will never stop finding new bands to enjoy.

Magic Pie - This band has got a new one out that I can't wait to listen to. Very kick ass prog rock! http://www.myspace.com/magicpiehome