Who's going to Devildriver THIS friday?

darkenedsoul

Darkened Soul
DevilDriver headlining with Suffocation (may or may not be, if there, great, if not, sucks on their advertisement for massconcerts to draw more peeps in), Septic Flesh, The Shining, Thy Will Be Done, Goatwhore, Behemoth and other(s). I am going for SF, Suffo, Behemoth, and The Shining (SF's 2nd time there to my knowledge as saw them w/Satyricon last year) and The Shinings first I *think* US appearance (to my knowledge anyways). Dan and Dave from SoB are supposed to be going and I've been reminding Dan all week about it. So he better show the putz!

So see whomever goes there friday night! I should be there around 7:30.

Mike

shit Shit SHIT....just got this off their myspace page (the shining):

LAST MINUTE US VISA PROBLEMS FORCE SHINING OFF NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
We are very sorry to have to announce that despite all the hard work and effort of everyone involved in the organisation of the North American tour in January, SHINING will not be able to travel to the US/Canada because of some last minute visa problems that have arisen.

We are very disappointed by this, and we will do our best to get over as soon as we can.

FUCK!!!!!!!!! I was going BECAUSE they were on this tour. Oh well, going anyways to see SF and Behemoth and Goatwhore....this sucks....

And for an FYI the doors are at 5:30, show starts at 6:00PM so I will most likely get there before traffic gets bad getting into worcester, meaning around 3:30 or so and hang around till doors open. And there are 9 bands on and show will be about 7 hrs I am guessing. I could probably get there for 7:30 but don't want to take a chance and miss Septic Flesh again hence getting there wicked early.

Mike

Hi Mike. Hate to see you talking to yourself.. How's it going? I'm probably opting out of this one. Band I'm waaay more into is playing Clifton Park, NY.

I fell asleep after eating some supper and didn't think I'd be out for 3+ hrs so it was too late for me to bother trucking down there in the freezing cold. I heard it was split between upstairs/downstairs too....and 11 bands, not 9 like on the flyer. There he goes packing more bands onto the show to draw more kiddies in.... oh well. They will be back around again.

The Palladium has always been pretty bad about adding openers. They dropped All That Remains onto a SymphonyX show a few years ago. In '08, Virgin Black passed through and Doom/Death bands who made perfect sense were told no openers were allowed. Night of the gig, a Metalcore band from Providence jumped around a lot before V. B. It's as if the promoter supports his buddies by giving them and onlt them gigs, about half of which make no sense whatsoever and wind up with the dudes reaching entirely the wrong audience.

He tends to put bands he likes on it (local and whatnot) from what I gather. I gave him an Evoken CD and said he should get them up there, think I even gave him a Shroud CD awhile back but nothing ever happened. He loves his metalcore for damn sure and it's a damn shame because there are a lot of decent death/black metal bands (of which I suspect some do get onto touring shows) but the VB one definitely didn't need a metalcore band on it, should have been Shroud that night opening for them! I hope they do make it back though as it was nice to meet (and sandbag Rowan for a picture lol) some of them that night. Me and Dan were right in the front off to the left side.

Mike

Yeah. The other thing is if you're a regular, you get verrrrry familiar with certain local bands. I gather they used to drop Shadows Fall onto some pretty random bills and I distinctly remember seeing All That Remains in '03 on a SymphonyX/Devin Townsend bill. Sure they both broke big eventually but I tend to think that slots on bills *THAT* prog-nerdy would be counterproductive. Hell, I'm pretty open minded and the only reason I checked out All That Remains next night was disbelief over how different they sounded over a decent P. A.
Now I could go off on the sound but I think the fact I know parts of CT, NY, and NJ because I wanted to hear something other than the bloody drums says volumes.

Oh and a little "ouch"y trivia on the band that had the slot Shroud should've killed for... they appatrently split up within a month.