Why do you think it is that so many bands

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
take a turn for the worse after the first few albums? I can't think of a logical explanation for it, but there are so many expamples of this that I do not need to name any. If anything, bands should be getting with time, but the opposite seems to happen in most cases. I can probably count the number of bands that get better with time on one hand. But on the other hand, it seems that the majority of veteran bands in each subgenre went to pot after a few albums.

They probably get sick of the same formula for success and want to experiment.

Also, when you're around people that often for that long, you learn about all of their idiosyncrasies that piss you off and you want nothing to do with these people, which stifles creativity.

Most likely they run out of creative energy, leading them either to (1) write the same style of music but with less passion, resulting in a more dull version of a successful formula now exhausted, or (2) in need of continued success they start copying other bands' ideas or (3) what The Ozzman said, they start experimenting, which can be risky.

That makes sense. Experimenting 85% of the time = a turn for the worse. For instance, bands that stop playing death metal or black metal usually release material of inferior quality, at least to their original fans. In in the cases where they stick with their genre; yes, they probably do run out of ideas, and write more generic material as opposed to recycling their previous work.

band members get older, and want to experiment, which usually means take things in a softer, simpler, easier-listening direction. think about how mnay bands do this.

or they are just stupid. SEE: Ulver

band members get older, and want to experiment, which usually means take things in a softer, simpler, easier-listening direction. think about how mnay bands do this.

or they are just stupid. SEE: Ulver

lol yea, god i wonder what nattens madrigal would sound like if produced better. anyways yea and Atrocity

They run out of ideas, get bored of what they're playing and want to expand, finally get that big contract they were looking for, aren't angsty little teenagers any more, have integral band members leave, etc. There are infinite reasons for this, but it does seem damn near inevitable.

Bands often spend many years composing the material that goes on the first album or two. They have far less time in between albums after that, especially if they are touring.

One man projects seem to avoid many of the pitfalls of touring, lineup turnover, internal disagreements, etc. In the case of Xasthur, he's got consistent quality in his releases so that none are significantly better or worse. He keeps the same arpeggio/synths/backing chords formula, but there are new elements and strides in songwriting in each release, and future ones will have added cello and real drums.

Just an example of how a one-man project can remain consistent over a period of many years and albums.

I do not think bands generally turn for the worse and a real/serious musician will get sick of doing the samethings after a point and I think bands who change are better and more striving musicians. I do not think some people really realize that musicians in signed bands tour and play there songs over and over and have to play their instruments for hours on end so why should a band record the same cd songs and riffs multiple times. I think after a certain point it's tedious and if anything bands who do not take some kind of risk eventually are a bunch of babies or just lazy musicians.

Some bands jump off at the right point, like The Police. No matter how much experimenting occurs, the canonical works remain untouched as a result. I'm thinking of an equivalent example in the metal world. I want to say Carcass...but FUCKING Swansong...

I think there's definitely quite a few bands who get better over time, whether it's better production, more cohesive song structure, or just generally better music. For the bands who do get worse, though, I agree with what's been said before.