Why isn't every metal label out on EMUSIC?

$1 a track means on average $10 (most albums having 8-12 tracks) album.

No, that's not how it's done. In the vast majority of cases, the "album price" is a discount vs. "track price x number of tracks". So an album may have 14 tracks at $1/track, but the album will be sold for $9.99 or less, not $14. Most electronically purchased albums are $9.99 or less (often significantly less in amazon's case). I haven't done any CD shopping in years, but I think that's still a fair bit cheaper than you can do in the physical world.

But yeah, eMusic is certainly a better deal than iTunes/amazon, which is why I get almost all my stuff through them.

I just bought the latest Rodrigo y Gabriela CD for my parents (admittedly from B&N without any shopping around), and it was more than $19! I'm sure that's a bad example, but it reminded me that even iTunes prices aren't too bad.

If album is not good, you did not lose much, if you love the album and want to get the actual CD at the end CD plus download cost is not ridiculous versus itunes album download plus CD cost.

I'd say that if you're thinking of buying BOTH a download and a CD, you're doing it wrong. To me, buying electronically really only makes sense if you consider the mp3s to be the "final product". Otherwise, just listen to the album for free via lala.com (or subscribe to Rhapsody if you want more than one listen), and then buy the CD if you like it.

Neil

That can often be a problem due to the distribution layers. I just had a problem with an eMusic track where it was 6 minutes of silence. I checked the other retailers (iTunes, amazon, etc.) and found that it was the exact same thing there. So instead of even bothering with eMusic, I just went straight to the digital distributor, Metalhit, got excellent service from them, who got the fixed track for me to download a week or two later. It seemed like Metalhit still had to go back to the label to get the corrected track.

So I think in a lot of cases, eMusic or whoever doesn't have an actual CD that they can re-rip from. They have to go back through 2 or 3 layers of various levels of professionalism to get back to the original source, so it doesn't surprise me that sometimes it never happens (maybe the original label has since gone out of business, doesn't give a shit, etc.)

In general, I really like what Metalhit seems to be doing, it looks like they're distributing a lot of really underground bands and tiny labels who wouldn't otherwise have the motivation or interest to sell their stuff electronically. Essentially they're doing their best to solve the problem described in the original post.

Neil

I never thought of it that way. That would seem to make sense if the label is just e-mailing the MP3's directly to eMusic or whatever other outfit that is selling them. If I run across another bad download, I'll have to try what you did and report it directly to the distributor as well as to eMusic (so they are aware of it and they can also go and fuss at the distributor as well).

That may also explain why there are the occasional album that has a missin track as well. Vanishing Point's Embrace the Silence is missing the last track, for example. At least I already had the CD in my case. My guess is the label/distributor did not want to make the full album available for some reason (perhaps to try to get people to also buy the CD as well?)

Thanks for the clarification on that.

And commenting in general about iTunes and Amazon. I personally don't use iTunes, as I'd prefer everything in standard MP3 format, as I have much more than just iPods that I'd like to play my music on (my rack-mounted music server, for example, does not do the iTunes formatted AAC. Also, at least in the past, I've avoided iTunes for the simple fact that I did not want DRM'd files (which was one of the main reasons why I oppted to go with eMusic in the first place). Of course, that has since changed. eMusic is still the cheapest and best value when it comes to downloaded music. Also, since I get my 50 downloads per month, they are all already paid for, so might as well use them up.

Now, I have used Amazon from time to time - typically to get something that eMusic may not have (and don't feel like waiting for the CD to arrive in the mail).

Oh yeah, I've just grabbed Ivory Tower's Beyond the Stars and Ivory Tower last night off of eMusic. Listened to Beyond the Stars in the car on the way to and from work and was actually quite impressed with how good it was. Granted, it is a somewhat generic Dream Theaterish type of progressive metal, but I found it to be very well done and quite engaging to listen to.

Additional edit! I see they got Ivory Tower's most recent one (Selective Enemy) on there that I did not see before! Needless to say, I grabbed it! The previews are pretty sweet (now - that leaves me with 20 downloads that I gotta figure what to grab with - plenty of choices but never seems to be enough downloads - how I miss my 90 downloads/month that I used to get).

An additional additional edit! Well - that killed my downloads for the month. Ended up grabbing Elysion - Silent Scream and Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death. Still got a ton of stuff in my "Save for Later" that I still want to get, including Shadowkeep - A Chaos Theory and The Divine Madness - Neverworld. I guess I'll have to wait till next month.

In fact I just did my latest downloads today and got:

Coronatus - Lux Noctis
Coronatus - Porta Obscura
Elysion - Silent Scream
Karmakanic - Who's the Boss in the Factory?
Necronomicon - Revenge of the Beast
Solitaire - Invasion Metropolis

I've gotten the Coronatus off of there myself in the past. That is some pretty good stuff. I am checking out that Elysion right now. I really like it from just listening to the previews! Will definitely have to grab that one. I've had the Karmakanic in my "save for later" list but have not gotten around to downloading it yet. Don't care much for Necronomicon. Solitaire is pretty cool - has that old school thrash sound to it. One of those ones to grab when I have downloads I need to use up, but can't think of anything else to get.

We make virtually nothing from subscription services. All of our digital distribution is handled by ADA, they are also our physical distributor as well. I believe there are certain subscription services like EMusic that they are working out deals with. I basically have given them the thumbs up to opt in for whatever deals they are able to make. In other words...its out of my control - I leave it all to ADA.

Ken Golden

i too am under the control of my distributor, ILC. they choose who we work with and who we don't. like ken, i am game for anything.

"eMusic utilizes LAME encoder, version 3.98.2 at VBR (Variable Bit Rate), alt preset extreme. VBR preset extreme uses an average bit rate of 256kbps, which offers quality comparable to 320 CBR (Constant Bit Rate). Older tracks are encoded at VBR standard (averaging around 192kbps)" In other words, indistinguishable from CD.

really? i convert my files no less than 256, as 192 is nowhere near CD quality. i refuse to purchase (not that i have ever bought anything online, ever) at 192. call me a snob, if you will, so be it, but since i am an outspoken advocate of the CD/LP/Cassette/8 track and all physical aspects of music it's no surprise i would make a fuss. hahaha.

really? i convert my files no less than 256, as 192 is nowhere near CD quality. i refuse to purchase (not that i have ever bought anything online, ever) at 192. call me a snob, if you will, so be it

If you've done an ABX test to verify that you can tell the difference between LAME-encoded 192 VBR mp3s and CD, then no, you're not a snob, you're someone with really good ears. If not, then yeah, you might be a snob. :saint:

Neil

I was on emusic but I didn't re-up with the new pricing.

One service I just did sign up for after testing out the trial, is MOG All Access ($5/month or 6 months for $25). It's a streaming service but the search function is awesome, the related artists slider is awesome, and so far most of what I have searched for has been on there. I recently purchased several CDs after hearing them first through MOG. They have a free trial, def recommend at least checking it out: www.mog.com