Worst Dickinson-era Iron Maiden Song?

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
This isn't actually a parody of the 'Best Ozzy Era Black Sabbath Song' thread - I'm just interested to see what you guys would nominate as the worst song Iron Maiden ever wrote with Dickinson on vocals. Reason being, Blaze Bayley gets a lot of stick, but I'd take 'Man On The Edge' over 'Holy Smoke' any day of the week (that one being my personal pick).

something from Fear of the Dark...I couldn't even tell you which song since I've ignored the album altogether

I would take X Factor over FotD any day of the week

Hypothetical question, but if they re-did X Factor with Bruce on vocals, where would you rank it among Number of the Beast thru' 7th Son?

Wow, there's a noodle scratcher.

I'd probably rank them something like (top = favorite):

Piece of Mind
Number of the Beast
Powerslave
7th Son of a 7th Son
The X-Factor
Somewhere in Time

All albums being well worth owning of course.

bitch about Blaze all you want, the Clansman kicks some major asses.

To answer the thread, I can't tell for sure as I'm no expert of Maiden, although I always thought "Can I play with madness?" was pretty bad.

Since I've already revealed myself to be quite a musical idiot, I might as well reveal this particular heresy as well (which I don't think I've stated here before)...

I would take X Factor over FotD any day of the week

I would take The X Factor over any Iron Maiden album.

As it stands, too. I think it would be worse with Dickinson singing. The dark, personal, and direct emotional tone of the album just doesn't need any wailing over the top of it.

Actually, now that I think of it, this community probably shouldn't find that nearly as heretical as most other places on the web. Not that I still don't expect to be burned at the stake, but maybe you'll at least be quick about it.

As for the thread topic, I dunno, doesn't it pretty much have to be something off "No Prayer..."? I wouldn't know, I don't even have that album, though I thought that puts me amongst the majority of Maiden fans. I think JK has the two post-Adrian, Bruce-sings-like-shit albums mixed up.

Neil

Lots of contenders on No Prayer (definitely hurting for inspiration, really telling that the best track here sounds like a Seventh Son outtake with bad singing) and the second half of Fear Of The Dark, that much is certain. Dance of Death also has its share of weak material, including possibly the worst Maiden opening track ever and one of their worst examples of a potentially decent four-minute song stretched beyond all reason (besides some of the borefests on the Blaze albums) in the title track...
And I agree that The Clansman does kick ass, when Bruce is involved.

bitch about Blaze all you want, the Clansman kicks some major asses.

Wait, who's bitching about him? His work on The X-Factor is being praised in this thread if anything. And yeah, that song is pretty neat-o-riffic along with "Sign of the Cross".

AsModEe said:
To answer the thread, I can't tell for sure as I'm no expert of Maiden, although I always thought "Can I play with madness?" was pretty bad.

I have to agree - that song made it take longer for me to get into 7th Son than it should've. The video was played incessantly on Headbanger's Ball and I just found the song a little too commercialized sounding for Maiden. Looking past that song though, man are some incredible classics on that album.

LOL @ Brian catching the ommission of the word "other".

It was less the omission of "other" than the omission of emphasis on the word **ANY**. I think. Yeah. It makes more sense in conversation. Really. Or, maybe I just regard 'The X Factor' as the TRUE Iron Maiden, with all the rest just being an Angel Witch cover band not even worthy of the name "Iron Maiden".

Neil, have you actually given their mid 80's output enough of a chance (circa 1983 - 1987)? Given your uh...musical era leanings, are your irrational subjectivities precluding you from enjoying albums regarded as undeniable classics?

"Albums regarded as undeniable classics" can eat my ass. It's already been well-established that my tastes are fucked up relative to most of metal fandom, so we don't line up that much on the "undeniable classic" chart. Certainly the status of something as a UC will usually make me check it out when I might not otherwise, but it doesn't increase my chance of agreeing with the conventional wisdom. Also, I don't give any extra points to bands for being "the originators". Well, intellectually I probably give them more points, but not emotionally, and since I listen to music emotionally, those points are useless. So later bands who come along and do something similar have just as good a shot of reaching the top of my list as earlier bands.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm well past the point where the "classic" Maiden will ever have a chance of completely winning me over. Really, I probably passed that point when I turned 16, when a few years of hearing Maiden non-stop through my older brother still wasn't enough to get me fully on board. If it doesn't happen at that point in your life, it's probably never gonna happen! Don't get me wrong, all those albums are really good, and I definitely respect them, and if a friend pops in 'Piece of Mind' while we're driving somewhere, I'll be headbanging down the road right along with him. But there are lots of albums that would produce that same effect.

There aren't any albums I know of that produce the same effect as 'The X Factor'. It's something that hits me emotionally quite unlike any other Iron Maiden album. And that's what elevates it above all the rest. It's really a completely different type of songwriting, that I first fell in love with when Steve Harris introduced it on 'Fear of the Dark' with "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" and "Fear of the Dark". 6-7 minute songs with long, slow buildups, and even heavily-repeated lyrics. Basically I liked the exact things that everyone else hates. Thankfully, Steve sided with me on this one, and for the next album, he released an entire album of songs like that (excepting "Lord of the Flies" and "Man on the Edge", which I can do without). The style brings it aesthetically closer to the "dark metal" or even some black metal that we like around here so much, and pulls it farther away from the "yeah, this rocks!!!" style of heavy metal that made them famous.

So maybe my "omission" from the start was actually correct....I don't see 'The X Factor' as an Iron Maiden album after all, at least not in the way that other people see Iron Maiden.

Neil

It was less the omission of "other" than the omission of emphasis on the word **ANY**. I think. Yeah. It makes more sense in conversation. Really. Or, maybe I just regard 'The X Factor' as the TRUE Iron Maiden, with all the rest just being an Angel Witch cover band not even worthy of the name "Iron Maiden".

Bah... quit trying to save face. :heh:

skyrefuge said:
"Albums regarded as undeniable classics" can eat my ass.

I stopped reading right there. Damn trolls.

probably something off fear of the dark, which i bought once and (i'm fairly sure) got rid of without hearing it front to back more than once. maybe once.

i've been listening to a lot of somewhere in time recently....by far their most underrated dickenson album imho, given that you lot usually rank it near the bottom of the classic 7

I actually dug about half of Fear of the Dark, more then No Prayer for the Dying, which was horrid. I think anything on that album qualifys as worst Dickinson-era song. Even Brave New World was better then that!

Speaking of, how would everyone rate the last 3 Maiden albums? I think they peaked in the 90s with The X Factor and haven't topped that one yet.

Basically I liked the exact things that everyone else hates.

yep. :tickled:

And fwiw, although it's been discussed a thousand times before, Blaze Bailey is a fine vocalist, just when he's NOT singing in Iron Maiden. He's even worse live -- go look for his version of "The Trooper" on youtube. But Silicon Messiah is pretty darned good - you can tell he had some control over which key to sing in.

This has nothing to do with a Bruce vs Blaze debate -- Blaze truly is awful, particularly on Virtual XI. I agree "The Clansman" is great live (with Bruce on vocals) but jesus H, the studio version.....the vocals on the intro of that song are waaay out of Blaze's range and the results are pretty disastrous. His performance does pick up later in the song, however, when the key changes to his upper register.

Btw, the reason why I think FotD is worse than No Prayer is because by the time FotD came around, Bruce had lost complete interest. He's barely even singing anymore at that point. At least on No Prayer, his vocals are marginally better.

Yeah, but which of the "classic 7" would you rank it above?

1. Powerslave
2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
3. Number of the Beast
4. Piece of Mind
5. Iron Maiden
6. Killers
7. Somewhere in Time

...and I really like Somewhere in Time.

Putting that ranking in perspective, consider that Powerslave is one of the greatest metal albums of ALL TIME.