would I benefit from a DI box?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I looked around because I thought there was a thread similar to this but couldn't find anything.

Since I'll be upgrading my recording computer, I'm also buying a few other things I've wanted for a while.

Thinking of a Countryman Type 85 DI box, but I'm running a Profire 2626 interface.

Would a DI box in front of this interface really make much difference, or should I just stick with the 2626's Instrument Input for tracking DI signals?

EDIT: After a bit of research, it appears the specs for the Profires Hi-Z inputs are pretty decent. But now I have my eye on a LL Redeye since it can reamp as well.

Just my 2 cents, I noticed a better dynamics in my DI's after I got a countryman type 85 and I also use a Profire 610. It's not gonna make or break it, but imo it's one less thing for me to blame as far as why my recordings sound like garbage haha

I also notice the RedEye is about $100 more than the Type 85. And, I recall someone here (guitarguru?) saying they reamped straight out of their Profire 2626 with no issues. So, maybe I can pass on the reamp box for now? Just tired of using amp sims when we have a Mark IV, Dual Recto, and 5150 at our disposal.....

Bump.

Any other opinions on this? Just trying to figure out if it's even worth it to drop $ on a DI box if the Profire will be limiting me anyway.

I've got quite a few good DIs and preamps and I would say NO, don't get a DI. The difference is so minimal it doesn't worth it. Well by saying difference I don't necessarily mean "a difference to a better sound". Why do you want a DI? To improve your tone? It won't really.

Yeah, just looking for improvement but if a dedicated DI box isn't a huge leap forward, I may as well invest my $ into other things I want.

Yeah, just looking for improvement but if a dedicated DI box isn't a huge leap forward, I may as well invest my $ into other things I want.

Yeah it will be a really tiny leap forward so just invest in something else. ;)

To answer the OP, yes getting a DI box will greatly benefit your DI sound. Here's a test clip a made a little while back. First sound is a chord progression with some old strings, then you'll hear the same progression with brand new strings, then finally you'll hear the same progression with new strings into a countryman type 85 DI box. It's pretty self explanatory why a DI box is very important. All examples are going into a Scarlett 18i6

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9njx8ddvc3xhdo/Old strings, new strings, DI Box.wav

Thanks Tommy. Great comparison. Now let's put some distortion in there.

1) New strings - No DI
2) New strings - DI

http://cl.ly/OgUg/di%20box%20difference%20test.wav

If you want to record clean or with low distortion it might have a difference (that you can still EQ) but if you're going for heavy metal tones it doesn't worth it IMO.

I don't think there's going to be a big difference when playing simple chords with a di box vs straight into the interface. You will notice the difference when playing many large chords and chugging. I prefer my distorted tones going through my countryman 85 against just straight into my saffire pro 40. Still not a big difference but sounds a little more pleasant with the di box, specially the low end quality.

I wanna decent low-end for DI, right now i have klotz one, but it work not really well (even cheap noname cable produce low-end better).
Any suggestion?

I wanna decent low-end for DI, right now i have klotz one, but it work not really well (even cheap noname cable produce low-end better).
Any suggestion?

Why don't you take more time to improve the grammar on your posts?
We have to guess to understand what you're trying to say.

The cable isn't your problem if you don't like the tone you're getting most probably.

This one is great and not as expensive. I own it... Palmer PAN01PRO (Made in Germany)

Thanks Tommy. Great comparison. Now let's put some distortion in there.

1) New strings - No DI
2) New strings - DI

http://cl.ly/OgUg/di%20box%20difference%20test.wav

If you want to record clean or with low distortion it might have a difference (that you can still EQ) but if you're going for heavy metal tones it doesn't worth it IMO.

This is what I was thinking. It's very noticeable on the cleans there but the distorted version not so much. Maybe I'll hold off for now and focus on other stuff.