Your Top 2008 releases so far...

Consuming Impulse is where to start, that's pretty much THE classic Pestilence record. Primitive by today's standards perhaps but at the time it was pretty extreme death-thrash (or whatever the hell you call it).

Testimony Of The Ancients would be best to pick up second, IMO. A very good record (some prefer it over Consuming...) where they moved a bit more towards technical-DM, and Patrick M. took over the vocal duties.

The first record Malleus Maleficarum (sp?) is cool but more primitive, the playing and production are more of an acquired taste and better to investigate once you're more familiar with the other stuff.

Spheres is a cool album, very proggy DM. If you like Cynic and Elements-era Atheist then this cd will be right up your alley. Lots of guitar synth all over it. Some good songs and good ideas but it does become a bit of a laborious listen after a while.

I love Malleus Maleficarum. I remember picking it up when it came out and was blown away by it. So raw and intense for its time.

Someday I will have to check out the new Opeth.

It's weird. I never thought there would be a year where I wouldn't purchase a new Opeth the month it was released.

Same goes for Iced Earth. They are a top 10 of all time band for me, and I haven't even purchased their new one either.

I guess as each year passes and new bands are discovered, other classics who release similar material over and over go to the bottom of the must have list.

Daylight Dies - now this is a band that intrigues me greatly.
I thought they were amazing when I saw them open for Katatonia and Moonspell.
I thought they were weak opening for Candlemass.
Though it could be that ANYONE opening for Candlemass wouldn't have gone over well for me.
This is a band I should check out on disc to give proper attention.
Any recommendations? Would the new one be the best place to start?

Dismantling Devotion is the best imo

I was really disappointed by the new Iced Earth, especially as Matt Barlow was back singing.

I didn't realise Tyr had a new album out. I must check that out.

Yeah, the general consensus is that the new IE is lackluster.

Tyr is a band that intrigues me.
They have some amazing songs, and some major sleepers.
I am thinking / hoping that they are a band that will get better with every release. I am sad I missed them on Pagan Fest this year. Hope to make it to their gig with Alestorm.

Biggest letdowns:

1. Opeth - watershed (Quality music here but they have officially strayed too far from the band I fell in love with)

Finally somebody sees this how I do. I'm a fucking huge Opeth fan but Watershed just doesn't do it for me at all. It's almost like Mike's blatantly trying to jam as many genre's into his music as he can. The album sounds disjointed to me too. Also, one of my biggest attractions to Opeth is just the shear darkness to the music and Watershed almost seems happy...ugh. I could go on forever about this, but I'll just say that I too was hugely dissapointed with it.

The new Arckanum album is pretty nice, though my favorite of 2008 would have to be Draconian's "Turning Season Within". Phenomenal material.

The new Arckanum album is pretty nice
Yet another album that ended up dissapointing me, it just seems so painfully average in comparison to his previous releases.

Oh well, still plenty of great releases this year, despite the considerable number of disappointing ones. I'll leave my final best of list until January, I think, otherwise things will keep changing all the time.

Been getting floored by, "Life.......The best Game in Town--Harvey Milk. In this day, seems like bands are trying to "out-brutalize" each other. This album is brutal with tremendous blues/groove riffs, and most important, it contains well-written songs. For me, they have separated themselves from the pack of same-sounding metal bands.

Here are my favorites this year in no order:

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Opeth - Watershed
Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life
Lifelover - Konkurs
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Tiamat - Amanethes
Agalloch - The White
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
Velnias - Sovereign Nocturnal
Nachtmystium - Assassins
Mirrorthrone - Gangrene