40 Guitarists of metal....

What do you disagree with? All the above influenced metal. But they weren't -metal-. If you think Van Halen was metal...

Since we are stating opinions, I thought I would add my own.

Alex Skolnick- Put down allot of great guitar work with Testament and a great stand in with Savatage.
Mike Romeo- I am sure I missed his mention being on this forum. If not shame on you.
Steve Stevens- I got a chance to catch him with Vince Neil and Billy Idol back in the day. An unbelieveable player to say the least.
Nuno Bettencord- Prob the most underrated player, along with Chris Oliva, to ever play guitar.
Olaf Lenk- At Vance is one of those bands I really used to like. However, his guitar work is worth buying the disc for.
Thomas Youngblood- I didn't realize how good he is till I saw them live, Shredder!!
Jeff Loomis- I just thought he needed mentioning again.
Reb Beach- The guy is awesome.
Adrian Vandenberg- Not a great player, but very solid. I add him to the list for simply being the definition of metal. Check out some Whitesnake videos, this guy is Metal!

This list could go on and on, very cool thread though!

Gotta make my own list! Sorry.

1. Paul Gilbert
2. John Petrucci
3. Chuck Schuldiner
4. Dan Swanö
5. Jari Mäenpää
6. Kiko Loureiro
7. Michael Romeo
8. Gus G
9. Jeff Loomis
10. Alex Skolnick
11. Johan Reinholdz
12. Tom Englund/Henrik Danhage
13. Marty Friedman
14. James Murphy
15. Per Nilsson

Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple - Rainbow - Blackmore's Night
Michael Romeo - Sympony X
Daniel Cavanaugh - Anathema
Frank Aresti - Fates Warning
Tommy Vetterli - Coroner
John Petrucci - Dream Theater
Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden
Jasun Tipton - Zero Hour
Mikael Akerfeldt - Opeth
Johan Hallgren - Pain of Salvation
Jani Liimatainen - Sonata Arctica
Devin Townsend - Strapping Young Lad, DTB
Peter Lake - Theory In Practice
Tim Roth - Into Eternity
Adam Jones - Tool
Knut Magne Valle - Arcturus
Alexi Laiho - Children of Bodom
Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath
Chuck Schuldiner - Death
Ihsahn - Emperor - Ihsahn
Emppu Vuorinen - Nightwish
Jorn Viggo Lofstad - Pagan's Mind

Frank Zappa is the greatest guitarist of all time in my opinion, he isn't metal but he is great enough to deserve a mention.

Zappa Was Definitely the man.. There were a lot of less metal guys I wanted to mention - Steve Howe, Adrian Belew etc.. but I maintained! heh!:lol:

One HUGE name missing, not to mention THE BEST guitarist I have EVER seen or heard is DAVE MENIKETTI. some of you may know Y&T. Those who don't, you have been left out. Simply put, blues influenced heavy metal guitar sound. His solo albums are simply masterfull!!! With that said there are soooooo many great guitar players out there whos to say who is the best.
A few more of my personal Favorites in no particular order;
Stefan Berg-Meduza
Stephan Elmgren- Hammerfall
Olaf Thorsen- Vision Divine
Jasun Tipton-Zero Hour
Tom Englund- Evergrey
Thorsten Wolf- Human Fortress
Roland Grapow-Masterplan
Axel Rudi Pell
Gus G- Firewind
Yngwie Malmsteen
SLASH- yeah, thats right I said it SLASH!!
George Lynch
Mats Haugen-Circus Maximus
Thomas Youngblood- Kamelot
Rick Renstrom- RobRock
Jimmy Hedlund- Falconer
Jens Ludwig-EDGUY
Dirk Sauer-EDGUY
Kirk Hammet
Mick Mars
Edward VanHalen
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers
Luca Turilli
WOW.......I really could go on and on and on and.....well you get the point

One HUGE name missing, not to mention THE BEST guitarist I have EVER seen or heard is DAVE MENIKETTI. some of you may know Y&T. Those who don't, you have been left out. Simply put, blues influenced heavy metal guitar sound. His solo albums are simply masterfull!!! With that said there are soooooo many great guitar players out there whos to say who is the best.
A few more of my personal Favorites in no particular order;
Stefan Berg-Meduza
Stephan Elmgren- Hammerfall
Olaf Thorsen- Vision Divine
Jasun Tipton-Zero Hour
Tom Englund- Evergrey
Thorsten Wolf- Human Fortress
Roland Grapow-Masterplan
Axel Rudi Pell
Gus G- Firewind
Yngwie Malmsteen
SLASH- yeah, thats right I said it SLASH!!
George Lynch
Mats Haugen-Circus Maximus
Thomas Youngblood- Kamelot
Rick Renstrom- RobRock
Jimmy Hedlund- Falconer
Jens Ludwig-EDGUY
Dirk Sauer-EDGUY
Kirk Hammet
Mick Mars
Edward VanHalen
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers
Luca Turilli
WOW.......I really could go on and on and on and.....well you get the point

Since we are stating opinions, I thought I would add my own.

Alex Skolnick- Put down allot of great guitar work with Testament and a great stand in with Savatage.
Mike Romeo- I am sure I missed his mention being on this forum. If not shame on you.
Steve Stevens- I got a chance to catch him with Vince Neil and Billy Idol back in the day. An unbelieveable player to say the least.
Nuno Bettencord- Prob the most underrated player, along with Chris Oliva, to ever play guitar.
Olaf Lenk- At Vance is one of those bands I really used to like. However, his guitar work is worth buying the disc for.
Thomas Youngblood- I didn't realize how good he is till I saw them live, Shredder!!
Jeff Loomis- I just thought he needed mentioning again.
Reb Beach- The guy is awesome.
Adrian Vandenberg- Not a great player, but very solid. I add him to the list for simply being the definition of metal. Check out some Whitesnake videos, this guy is Metal!

This list could go on and on, very cool thread though!

Props for mentioning Steve Stevens & Nuno:headbang:

And Van Halen influenced metal. He wasn't metal. Though Ascension mentioned him. But its why I didn't mention Brian May (even if he did lay down the first thrash metal song =p). Same with why Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton (Cream days), and Jimmy Page weren't mentioned.

Van Halen was Hard Rock. But every metal guitarist out there can play ERUPTION. Eddie is practically listed by all guitarist as an influence. Supposedly, Dime is buried with one of Eddie's guitars.

Michael Schenker, people. I know he is a nasty drunk that does not know how to keep his schwanz in his pants and cannot set foot in America less he be arrested for being a deadbeat dad, but he is still among the finest guitarists.