Dimmu Borgir:
Opeth:
Satyricon:
Borknagar:
Soilwork:
Children of Bodom:
In Flames:
Arch Enemy:

1) if you had to choose ONE BEST album made by any of these bands, which would it be, and why?

2) which is the WORST?

3) which of these bands do you hold the most "hope" for in terms of future releases?

COF : none
Burger: Stormblast
Popeth: Morningrise
Satyricon: Nemesis Divina
Borknagar: cant decide between their first 2
Soilwork: i would say "none" but i enjoyed "Steelbath Suicide" when it was released
Boredom: Something Wild
In Flames: The Jester Race (by far)
Arch Enemy: Black Earth

1)i dont get the question
2) band? COF
3)None

Cradle of Filth:
Dusk... And Her Embrace. This album rules so heavily, their other stuff is pretty meh.

Dimmu Borgir:
I like Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, and hated Puritan Oatmealsammitch Machine.

Opeth:
Deliverance best, Morningrise worst.

Satyricon:
Dunno.

Borknagar:
I have and highly enjoy the first one, haven't heard any others.

Soilwork:
They suck.

In Flames:
Jester's Race is the best and worst, only one I know. Sometimes it rules, sometimes I say "this is gay."

Arch Enemy:
I like the two with Angela, haven't heard the others. Both are above average and at times good. Her voice gets tiresome after awhile.

I hold the most hope for Opeth, simply because it's the only band I'd buy a new album from.

God thats a hard survey, I have heard most of the albums from all of the aforementioned bands, but shit, I dont really care for any of them all too much. They are all popular, but bands that have dramatically declined in both ideas and quality.

I can say Worst: anythng of Arch Enemy's, Cradle, Children, post predator Soilwork, post still life opeth, every dimmu album is iffy, any post colony in flames album, im not really a fan of borknagar, and I like early satyricon, but dont care for volcano etc.

Best- Still Life, Predators Portrait, Enthrone Darkness, colony and jesters race, and I always liked the chainheart machine.

NAME THE BEST ALBUM BY EACH BAND

Cradle of Filth: I've never heard a CoF album
Dimmu Borgir: Stormblåst
Opeth: My Arms, Your Hearse
Satyricon: Nemesis Divina (although I haven't heard any other early stuff)
Borknagar: The Olden Domain
Soilwork: Natural Born Chaos
Children of Bodom: Follow the Reaper (haven't heard Hatebreeder however)
In Flames: The Jester Race
Arch Enemy: I haven't heard a complete AA album

1) if you had to choose ONE BEST album made by any of these bands, which would it be, and why?

The Jester Race owns them all, but My Arms, Your Hearse is a close second.

2) which is the WORST?

Natural Born Chaos, probably, or the CoB
Erik said:
but if you mean "worst any of the above bands have released" then any of the platters of utter putrid feces Cradle of Faggots.

2) which of these bands do you hold the most "hope" for in terms of future releases?

I've got a lot of hope for Opeth to do something great again. I thought the last three releases were satisfactory, but nothing special. I know they have it in them to pull out another great one, since each of the last few ones have their moments.

Can't you count to 3, Erik? :p

Anyway, my list...

Cradle of Filth: Dusk... and Her Embrace (come on people, it's great)
Dimmu Borgir: Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (groundbreaking and majestic... too bad they did nothing of note after this)
Opeth: Morningrise (their most melodic and unpredictable)
Satyricon: The Shadowthrone (Graveland need to quit ripping off the first track)
Borknagar: The Archaic Curse (I dunno, of their first 4 I prefer the s/t the least)
Soilwork: Natural Born Chaos (was it good because of the band or Townsend's influence? anyway, their only album worth getting)
Children of Bodom: Follow the Reaper (it has a few pretty good songs, I think I'll hold on to it)
In Flames: The Jester Race (I dunno... it's good all the way through)
Arch Enemy: Burning Bridges (it's quick and to the point)

1) BEST: Probably "Morningrise", although I still listen to "Dusk..." every now and then
2) WORST: "Soundtrack to Your Escape" -- no words needed
3) Opeth. Even though they're stuck in a rut, they may be getting out of it ("Damnation" being a bit of a breakaway in style). They're too talented to keep rehashing MAYH. Something tells me their next one will be a worthy departure.

NAME THE BEST ALBUM BY EACH BAND

Cradle of Filth: Nymphetamine
Dimmu Borgir: Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Opeth: Still Life
Satyricon: Don't Know
Borknagar: Don't Know
Soilwork: A Predator's Portrait
Children of Bodom: Hatecrew Deathroll
In Flames: Whoracle
Arch Enemy: Anthems of Rebellion

Still Life... it's not even close. Why? Because it's one of the best CDs ever recorded.

2) which is the WORST?

Not much of a CoB fan.

3) which of these bands do you hold the most "hope" for in terms of future releases?

I hope Opeth jettison Steve Wilson. Let Swano produce the next CD.

Zod

Seriously, anyone who slags Cradle of Filth needs to listen to Dusk... And Her Embrace first. If you have not, I will not accept your unfounded opinion. If you have, and you still say all they ever did was crap, well then you just suck. :p

Actually the first COF album i ever heard was "Dusk.." when it was released. I hated it with a passion from the beginning, how can one like this terrible "voice" and this absolutely fake and without inspiration sound
I suck therefore i am

IOfTheStorm's opinion noted in NAD's Book of Shite, thank you.

Dusk_and_Her_Embrace.jpg

This album rules so much I still have this poster hanging on my wall.

You still haven't said if you've heard it.

Oh man, that fade-out in Funeral in Carpathia is so damn awesome.

Cradle of Filth: Haven't heard enough to make an informed decision
Dimmu Borgir: Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Opeth: Morningrise
Borknagar: Haven't heard enough
Soilwork: A Predator's Portrait
Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder
Arch Enemy: Black Earth

Morningrise - simply my favorite album of all time. Read my review on Royal Carnage for further insight.

2) which is the WORST?

Soilwork - Figure Number Five (unfathomably horrid direction in terms of both style and songwriting)

Opeth - even though they altered their style after Morningrise, they're still my favorite band and have yet to produce an album I haven't loved. (And if they do put out something I feel is sub-par, I will say so, I won't have that fanboy "Akerfeldt can do no wrong" ideology).

Cradle of Filth: CoF- that ppl actually buy these albums
Dimmu Borgir:Stormblast
Opeth:Still LIfe
Satyricon:Nemesis Divina
Borknagar:Empiricism
Soilwork:Steel Bath Suicide
Children of Bodom:Hatecrew Deathroll
In Flames: Whoracle (toss up between whoracle and jester race)
Arch Enemy:Black Earth

It would have to be Stromblast by Dimmu. (I love this band)
2) which is the WORST? Aww, well that would be anything CoF ever released

3) which of these bands do you hold the most "hope" for in terms of future releases? Well In Flames dashed their chances with their last 2 albums which both sucked. The one before sountrack to ur escape (cant remember wot its called sucking the most). Borknagar seems very promising and Dimmu too (once again I love this band.) If soilwork keep doin vids with in flames (very cute) they will lose my vote eternally.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cradle of Filth: Damnation & A Day
Dimmu Borgir: I have no idea, the last one
Opeth: Orchid or Still Life, can't decide
Borknagar: The Olden Domain
Soilwork: A Predator's Portrait or Natural Born Chaos
Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder
Arch Enemy: Wages of Sin

1) if you had to choose ONE BEST album made by any of these bands, which would it be, and why? without a doubt, The Jester Race, because in my mind, it's still timeless and perflectly blends the lead guitar work I love with the melodic death metal I used to love quite a bit

2) which is the WORST? Hatebreeder (CoB), just because it's so simple even I get/got bored of it

3) which of these bands do you hold the most "hope" for in terms of future releases? Opeth, provided they continue to buck trends and just do what makes them happy. They also have the greatest appreciation of many diverse musical backgrounds (i.e. '70s fuzz rock, Pink Floyd, etc.) which can translate into pretty interesting ground for them to venture

Still need to get Erik to say if he's listened to Dusk or not...

When I first heard Helheim - Jormundgand, I thought "hey this sounds like Dusk... And Her Embrace." No I'm not joking, they are comparable albums and I do not wish to choose which is better because both are similarly marvelous.