Agalloch

AnTz0r

Crimson King
Oct 16, 2004
Netherlands
A week ago i got 2 of their cd's from a friend of mine, he knows i like opeth, he told me agalloch kind of resembled opeth.

so i listened it...

i haver NEVER heard any music that is as depressing as this. to me it sounds nothin like opeth.

i listened to the first song and then was so depressed i hit the stop button.

kudos to agalloch for making music that is able to do that, but i am not going to listen to it again, i want to be happy...

or am i just missing something?

I think they are terrible, downloaded a few from Mantle and was bored about 3 minutes into it. The vocals are also sucky.

Flowers and lollypops and happy people everywhere!!!

Agalloch are masterful at creating solemn, stark and beautiful atmospheres. Some songs are more uplifting, others utterly despondent, but both albums are like journeys. Try listening through a full album.

The only thing stopping me from becomming a real fan of Agalloch is the vocals. They're just terrible.

Décadent said:
Flowers and lollypops and happy people everywhere!!!

Agalloch are masterful at creating solemn, stark and beautiful atmospheres. Some songs are more uplifting, others utterly despondent, but both albums are like journeys. Try listening through a full album.
yeah, to me, they have a purposely stark simplicity to them...brimming with a lot of atmosphere. You have to listen to them, at least IMO, only in certain kinds of situations, because they have a dark, wintry kind of atmosphere. I don't even try to listen to them on a hot sunny day, I would just end up not getting immersed enough in the atmosphere, if I listened to them in the light of day. Listen to them on a cool/cold night, or on a foggy morning around the break of dawn. That to me,is when Aggolach gets through to me.

Agalloch rule. They're only 2 albums into their career, but they have the potential to be better than Opeth. As it is they're pretty close. Look at my location if you doubt where my allegiance lies.

Great band but I sort of agree about the vocals-- the growls are fine but I find the singing to be slightly annoying. The atmosphere they create with the music makes up for it though :)

I love them..well..in the beginning the clean vocals annoyed me..I think they take a while to get used to but not anymore..I think it's a very melancholic sad voice..fits the music well.

I'm surprised that the vocals bother people so much considering all the other bands listened to on this board. I always thought they were great and very fitting. I especially like the last track on The Mantle, I forget what it's called. A Desolation Song maybe. Yeah, that whispering combined with the lyrics and the accordion make me want to grab a knife and go down the highway.

I don't find them that depressing, Hallways of Enchanted Ebony is a great song. The vocals are great in my opinion. I'm pretty picky about my vocals. The clean singing in "You Were But A Ghost In My Arms" is good. I still have to pick up both their cds though. I think Pale Folklore is better than Mantle, both are awesome though.

the_drip said:
The elk picture on the album cover is kinda cool though.
statue5.jpg

Agalloch are a decent group. But not great by any means. And especially on THIS forum, theyre highly overrated. The vocals are pretty weak, and the music is fairly simple and predictable. Their first album had some very cliched and awful parts, such as that "it cried like a river of shadows blah blah blah" part, which just makes me want to scream everytime i hear that...

On the upside, theyre a fairly mature and sophisticated aproach to dark metal, while still being fairly simple and straight forward. They get better on each release, that being 4 now i beleive (minus that grey EP), so im curious to see what they do next time.

But for anyone who says they are better than or could be better than Opeth...ought to seriously get their ears checked in my opinion. Its like peanut butter and jelly vs. caviar.

And for the record...they sound very little like Opeth...i dont KNOW WHY this comparison keeps getting made. maybe because they have acoustic guitars in it? WHOOPTIDOO.

they sound more like early ulver if anything...but not nearly as good. ;)

EDIT: and at least theyre a lot better than that fucking steaming pile called Woods Of Gaypres....jesus christ. :yuk: (and yes, ive heard the demo, but that changes nothing about the last full length).