Amorphis in Atlanta

Layla's Dad

May 1, 2004
Valley, AL
For several weeks I've been looking on Ticketmaster's site to see if tix for the Amorphis/Into Eternity/Beyond the Embrace had went on sale for the scheduled performance at the Masquerade on March 25th. I've had no luck so far. The peculiar thing is that a lot of the shows around the scheduled Atlanta gig, before and after, are currently on sale coast to coast. For some reason the tix for the Atlanta performance aren't available yet. A friend of mine said that someone told him that the Masquerade was not going to be around for much longer, that condos would fill that land. Granted, this is hearsay. However, on the club site, there is a date given for the King Diamond show in April (w/Nile and Behemoth I believe).

When I first heard about this Amorphis gig I had logged on to this site and saw that Glenn had posted a note asking fans how they would feel about seeing someone that would've toured stateside already during the year. The first thing I thought was that he was getting Amorphis. Then the Nightwish/Sonata Arctica news came out and kind've put that theory to rest.
Now I'm kind of wondering again, given the fact that NW or SA seem to be out of the picture and there seems to be no rush to get the tix available through Ticketmaster for the Amorphis gig in Atlanta. I thought why would Amorphis tour the states, go back home, return to Atlanta in September and the only answer would be that Progpower VI is the premier event in the states with the best crowd that a fan could ask for. I guess that'd be reason enough. You have to look at cost though so maybe not.

Probably all a coincidence. Anyway, if the gig happens in March, anybody from here plan on attending?

I wouldn't worry about the tickets. I had a similar experience with the Cryptopsy show at the Masquerade coming up on Feb. 27th, and the tickets didn't appear on ticketmaster until the first of February, and went on sale on the third. So some bands are just taking longer to get up or something. But no, I won't be going, as I don't really know any of those bands, and there are other things I'm already planning to go to.

Veeery interesting...

I wanted to go to the Into Eternity/Amorphis/Beyond the Embrace show in NY on March 18, but I have to play guitar in my school musical that night.

I've been checking the site for about 2 months trying to get tix-- also trying to get tix for Hypocrisy/Dark Tranquillity in April at the Masq-- but nothing yet.

But I'll be at both these shows.

I'll be at both of those shows, too.

We were wondering why the Masquerade hadn't put Nightwish tickets on sale yet....well, now we know.

The Masquerade property HAS been sold, but the club will continue operating at least through June and maybe a bit later, depending on who you ask. I have many, many pleasant memories of the place (and a few unpleasant ones, but not as many), and it'll be sad to see it go.

I've heard people say the Masquerade is bad......but I don't really have anything to compare it to besides the House Of Blues in Myrtle Beach, and I don't have a whole lot of experience with venues, I've just been to the Masquerade for several different shows......I do remember Jean Pierre saying the stairs collapsed once or something....

Would you elaborate?

like the masquerade or not, don't go whining when you have nowhere within 500 miles to go see the next tour package that comes through. where the hell else in atlanta will book decent shows

and i wouldn't worry about tickets... why not just buy them at the door. better than ticketmaster's ripoff charge

I am really interested in knowing what's bad about it. I guess never having been to a "good" venue, I wouldn't know what a "bad" one is. I just know that it's all ages and books good shows.

But it's obvious to me that Earthlink Live is a good venue, one of the reasons I'm looking forward to going....no smoking, lots of security, good seating, etc.

The Masquerade generally has lousy sound, primitive lighting (I don't think they have any 'movers'), a small backstage area (especially for large tours), and one of the most tedious load-in/load-out procedures of any club, anywhere: you have to load the gear on a basket and it's winched up to the stage level. And the same in reverse at the end of the night. The geometry of the upstairs room ("heaven") doesn't lend itself to good sound, and the stage area is small enough that productions have to be scaled back in order to fit inside -- a recent example being Cradle of Filth, who realllly should've played Earthlink Live.

That being said, it's a 'neet' club in view of its layout, with the big room upstairs, the smaller concert room underneath it, and the bar at mid-level, with the outdoor patio in back that it seems almost no-one knows about. The decor is also unique, in many cases being the same equipment and fittings used when the facility was an excelsior mill, many years ago. They also have a surprisingly good kitchen; I've had some decent in-house catering there before. My roommate was once asked to be the club's manager, but declined; to this day the people there will often call him before committing to booking a show.

It's amazing to think of the sheer number of bands and tours who have come through the Masquerade, everyone from Dream Theater to Nine Inch Nails.

The back stairs (oddly enough, NOT the wooden stairs in front that most people use) collapsed a few years ago during a New Year's party, causing a few injuries. That, and the Rhode Island fire, caused the venue's capacity to be reduced firmly to around 1,000 and the installation of the metal stairs outside that run from stage-left down to the front parking lot.

It's the longest-surviving privately-owned music venue in Atlanta, and as I said, I have a lot of great memories from the place.

As for where bands will play in town after it's gone.... They say they'll have a new venue ready in time. They've already committed several million dollars opening new clubs all around town, from Paradise City up in Alpharetta (it's like a Dave & Busters) to their four new clubs in Underground Atlanta. I hope they save some money for a good metal club!

Okay, that makes sense, thanks. Where is the porch you were talking about? Do you get to it from heaven? I've never really looked around much.

I've only been to the Masquerade twice but have enjoyed it both times and thought the sound was pretty good (especially for the headliners, as is often the case).
Iced Earth/COB/Evergrey
Cannibal Corpse/Napalm Death/Macabre/Kataklysm

I've found it to be on par with most clubs where I've seen metal shows-- it sits evenly alongside the 3 or 4 usual suspects I frequented in Seattle and Denver and compares with the club I used to go to in Columbia, SC.

The HOB in Myrtle Beach is cheesy but of course has killer sound and great sight lines, but they've also got some good $$ I'd guess.

I will miss the Masq as I know it's one of the closer places that is guaranteed to get most metal tours.

I've been to the Masquerade fifteen to twenty times and have always enjoyed myself. Earthlink has definite advantages if you prefer to sit for performances (I know some people get tired of standing because there are always some people sitting at Earthlink shows) and has better sound. Earthlink has hotels within walking distance too. The Masquerade is enough of a contrast to make shows there enjoyable. As someone stated, the building is the old Excelsior Mill and with the low lighting, the place almost has a medieval vibe to it. Maiden (w/Blaze) and Priest (w/Tim Owens) played there. Voivod was there on THE OUTER LIMITS. The list goes on and on.
I hate that about the back steps collapsing and closing. That was the best way to the bathroom (that seemingly a few people knew about).

Do any of you fans remember the Metroplex (on Marietta Street)? That was the place I really miss. The bar was fenced in and slightly overlooked the main floor area. Killer joint.

Pellaz said:
As for where bands will play in town after it's gone.... They say they'll have a new venue ready in time. They've already committed several million dollars opening new clubs all around town, from Paradise City up in Alpharetta (it's like a Dave & Busters) to their four new clubs in Underground Atlanta. I hope they save some money for a good metal club!

I hope it's a lot closer in town than PC, too. That place is a loooong way out there.

I should've known you'd have the skinny on what was going on with the Masquerade! Thanks for the info. :)

Shaye

Yea...I would hate to drive all the way up to Gwinnett every time a decent club show comes through. That arena where the Gladiators play is a long haul up I85 N for me. Turner Field is about an hour from my driveway. Granted it's not many more miles to Gwinnett, but the traffic slows if you go through during certain times of the day.

This maybe good or bad news, depending on your disposition, but the Masquerade is NOT closing, at least, that's what ppl have told me.

are you sure it's not closing? and like someone else said, the thing i like most about the masquerade is that it's easy to get to. freedom parkway isn't very crowded. and i don't want to have to find another venue all over again. i suck with directions. really bad. also has a great view of the city, and is close to everything. i wished they'd just tear the damn thing down and build a new one