Amp in the control room, cab in the booth?

deanbailey

O.C.D Member
Dec 14, 2006
Cape Town
I've been wanting to know this for a while but thought it was a dumb question to post here, how do you guys connect your amps to your cabs when the head is in the control room and the cab and mics are in the booth? Or whats the correct way in doing this?

Like in "Matt Crooks" setup from the "Pictures from my project..." thread for example.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...tures-my-project.html?highlight=picture+of+my

Do you:
1. Go from your amp(which is in the control room) speaker output > snake jack > snake box > speaker cable > cab input?
2. Plug into a DI > direct out > snake jack > snake box out > normal jack > amp. then connect the amp to the cab as normal (in this case the amp is in the room with the cab)
3. Or do you have a long speaker cable through a hole in the wall?

I'm worried about doing number 1 because i know you're only supposed to use a speaker cable from head to cab etc etc. Is there a risk of damaging the head using the snakes jack in the output instead of a proper speaker cable?

I tried number 2, but i got a major hum which i used an outboard comp/gate to solve but it chewed too much of the actual signal than normal.

number 3...well the shorter the speaker cable the better.

Everyone I've asked didn't really know, so help would really be appreciated:)

here is the correct way to do this. it does cost some money BUT it is the best way and the safest way to not wreck your gear!!!!!!

you need a Nuetrik 1/4" input jack HARDWIRED to a SPEAKER CABLE line. you can buy rack mount panels that you can put the connector in then run the cable through your flooring or wall or what ever and HARD WIRE it to another Neutrik 1/4" connector in your iso booth. this connector then hooks up to your cbinet in the booth, and the head in the control room. it will cost about 2-5usd for each connector, 10-20usd for the rack panel, and 20-30usd for the cable. the other great thing about having the rack panel is you can put in all kins of differant connection for routing in your studio

Love Curran

yeah thats all it is. just not an audio snake cable. it will damage your stuff. so make sure you get some big thick speaker cable(maybe quad line for more noise rejection) and use the good connectors and you will love it. and I have not noticed any sound loss over the long apeaker runs I had to use for my studio.

Love Curran

I wouldn't worry about a run of 50 ft. in a recording situation, nor would I worry if I needed 100 ft. in a live situation. Use a good cable, of course.

..but when you hear guitars feed back on recordings i assume the player has actually stood in the booth in front of the cabinet?:confused:

you can get feedback in the control room if you boost the mids on the mix and crank the monitors just for the part you want feedback...just make sure the guitar player is standing very close to the monitors

I just put together a couple 60' mic cables and a speaker cable to track my cab in the basement with my control room on the 2nd floor and it works great:headbang:

But definitely get a thick speaker cable, like 12awg or bigger.

another question on the subject,
for a speaker guitar cable, coming out of valve amp head, and going into a distant (about 50') cab,

is a 2x2,5mm² cable is enough

or is it better to use 2x4mm² ?

Speaking of speaker cable.
I accidentally ordered 4 100' cables a few years ago. they're fucking long as hell and take up so much space (even when coiled up). I actually used two of them when I used to gig a lot, but I meant to order 4 50' cables and clicked the wrong thing and decided to just keep them because maybe on down the road I can cut them up into custom sizes...