Anathema: I'm thrilled beyond words...

Love seeing Darren White and Duncan Patterson back on stage with Anathema, brings a tear to the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is for me if a band goes in a direction I wasn't expecting. It might take some time for me to adjust to it.
Yeah that was basically what I was getting at. :) I wasn't expecting some of the stuff the stuff that they incorporated this go around, namely the electronica.

But anyway, super thrilled to see them back on US soil again.

As the fest gets closer, has anybody who didn't have an opinion on Anathema formed one? I've tried and tried to get into this band. According to my play count on iTunes I've tried as much as 9 times on certain songs. I just can't even begin to appreciate anything that they do! I hate to think that I'll be back in my room by 10 PM on Friday night, but that's the way it looks right now. Anubis Gate cancelling may have killed Friday for me totally except that Morgana Lefay used to be one of my favorite bands, so I'll be able to sit through their set.

I'm glad that Glenn and all of the fanboys get to see this. I hope that I have a change of heart and can make it as far as Anathema on Friday. I always feel guilty leaving before the show is over. Yeah, I bailed out on Rage...guilty. Also Shadow Gallery. I'm trying to correct these apparent flaws lol

Out of curiosity, which albums have you tried?

Just asking because they can vary quite a bit. Not liking some of their earlier stuff is no certain indication that you'll dislike their more recent output, and vice versa.

Weather System & Distant Satellites are the 2 on my iPod. Untouchable pt I has the most plays with 9 and Ariel has 7 plays. Everything on the disc has been played through at least 4 times and I randomly select a song every now and again to see if it will hit me. Since they will play a lot of the newer material I've stayed away from most of the older stuff so far

Weather System & Distant Satellites are the 2 on my iPod. Untouchable pt I has the most plays with 9 and Ariel has 7 plays. Everything on the disc has been played through at least 4 times and I randomly select a song every now and again to see if it will hit me. Since they will play a lot of the newer material I've stayed away from most of the older stuff so far

A lot of people here will tell you the last 3 albums are the best starting points but I disagree completely. Judgement and Alternative 4 are their classics and should be the entry point for any new listeners in my opinion. And if you are a prog person, check out A Natural Disaster as well (which is my personal fav).

my fav song to use to introduce people to anathema, heavy song with energy to help acclimatise any metalhead

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased Weather Systems and have listened to Distant Satellites on YouTube a few times. I love Weather Systems, especially Untouchable pt I and II. Distant Satellites has done nothing for me so far.

I still get this feeling that half the crowd walks at the end of the Falconer set. Anathema gets about as much love as many of the other love 'em/hate 'em bands in Progpower history. They're gonna have to captivate me with the 1st song or I'll be resting up for Saturday night shortly thereafter. But then again, its happened a million times at ProgPower so far in its history! Glenn's choices have a tendency to do that to a person. He's an arm-twisting SOB, that Glenn guy ;)

I still get this feeling that half the crowd walks at the end of the Falconer set. Anathema gets about as much love as many of the other love 'em/hate 'em bands in Progpower history. They're gonna have to captivate me with the 1st song or I'll be resting up for Saturday night shortly thereafter. But then again, its happened a million times at ProgPower so far in its history! Glenn's choices have a tendency to do that to a person. He's an arm-twisting SOB, that Glenn guy ;)

um... Anathema and Falconer switched. Falconer is closing the night so Anathema can get some sleep before their Saturday afternoon set and gives Falconer room to play as long as they want for their final live show.

Well, that changes everything lol. I guess I'll have to be a social butterfly and hang out in the lobby during Anathema

Well, that changes everything lol. I guess I'll have to be a social butterfly and hang out in the lobby during Anathema

At least give them the 3 song test.

I thought for sure I was going to skip out of the recent Pain Of Salvation set (not being a fan at all). I gave them the 3 song test, and ended up staying through the whole thing, sternly converted. It can happen...

um... Anathema and Falconer switched. Falconer is closing the night so Anathema can get some sleep before their Saturday afternoon set and gives Falconer room to play as long as they want for their final live show.

Which means that I probably walk out of Falconer's set early as I will be on such an emotional high from Anathema that I won't be able to find it to try to get into a band whom admittedly I never gave much thought into because this style of power metal bores me(I can see the pitchforks and torches already headed my way with that last take)

who knows...I will be with people this time so it would probably be up to them.

At least give them the 3 song test. I thought for sure I was going to skip out of the recent Pain Of Salvation set (not being a fan at all). I gave them the 3 song test, and ended up staying through the whole thing, sternly converted. It can happen...

THIS! Nothing personal against anyone, but I will never understand the "skip it" mentality. You travel all the way to Atlanta so why not give all bands at least a shot. Check out after a few tunes if it isn't your thing.

The band that gets that catches the most shit in advance of the show is usually the one that puts everything into their set and kicks your ass.

DSO....Ihsahn...Mustash....the list goes on and on.

I just don't fucking understand it....