Andromeda for Progpower IV!

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
Although the year is less than a week old, I am confident that Two Is One will be among the the best albums of 2003 and probably the best first quarter release, although that may change once Recreation Day arrives...the album is a perfect combination of instrumental frenzy and delicate yet tense atmospheres, the music being both highly visual and emotional. Reinholdz, Hedin, and Lejon prove that they are excellent musicians, and the new vocalist fits the amorphous musical landscapes perfectly. I think this band would be a welcome presence at any future PP.

I saw Andromeda last Feb in Paris with Evergrey and was blown away by the live set. 'Extension of the wish', which didn't really gell with me when it came out in 2001, became by far my most played CD of 2002. I just wish I'd fully appreciated its brilliance when it first came out.

What are they really like (from people who love the band)?
Well, I'd liken 'Extension of the wish' to 'When Dream and Day Unite'. Take great instrumental virtuosity, add great songs and a decent singer and you have Andromeda. Personally I like the new singer on the re-recording of the album more than the original, but your mileage may vary there.

There are samples and live video available at their website. Johan Reinholdz has been posting in these parts in recent weeks.
http://www.andromedaonline.com/

I agree. Andromeda would be a perfect selection for ProgPower. "II=I" is one of my most anticipated 2003 releases. (2002 if you live in Japan.)

So it's somewhat hard-edged, wicked proggy stuff?

As opposing to some hyper-fast double-bass drum bashing euro power metal? then Yes :)

The songs are cool, with plenty of instrumental passages where Johan (on guitar) and Martin (on keys) really rip. Its clever and impressive on the ears yet sufficiently restrained that it couldn't be described as 'wanky'.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
I agree. Andromeda would be a perfect selection for ProgPower. "II=I" is one of my most anticipated 2003 releases. (2002 if you live in Japan.)

I think it's pretty insulting to make it sound like the 2002 Japanese release doesn't count as the 'real' release date...

We've been debating this in the AA forum (every time I type that, I feel like I'm talking about being an alcoholic); for MY personal list/ranking purposes, I go by the NA release date in *most* cases. Which is why the Arch Enemy was to ME a 2002 release, not 2001 like in Sweden & Japan.

Originally posted by markgugs
We've been debating this in the AA forum (every time I type that, I feel like I'm talking about being an alcoholic); for MY personal list/ranking purposes, I go by the NA release date in *most* cases. Which is why the Arch Enemy was to ME a 2002 release, not 2001 like in Sweden & Japan.

So by that thinking, Arch Enemy's Black Earth, Naglfar's Vittra, Dissection's Somberlain, and Katatonia's Dance of December Souls would potentially be appearing on your list as well?

Arguing over release dates huh? Like I haven't seen this before. People need to learn to get along with each other better.

BTW, My #1 Album of 2002 is Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness. :cool:

Jim and I aren't arguing. Get glasses.

Now, Jim, I wasn't specific enough I guess. I meant NEW releases, not reissues or first time available in the States or anything like that, which would eliminate all those you rose questions about.

Now, Jim, I wasn't specific enough I guess. I meant NEW releases, not reissues or first time available in the States or anything like that, which would eliminate all those you rose questions about.

Well what's the cutoff then?

Seems to me it would be plain. Wages of Sin came out in 2001. It was available to anyone who had access to any store, online or not, that carried Japanese releases. The End had the Korean version for sale at various times through 2001.

Do you make your determination of what was available in US stores as a 'domestic' release? Well then there's tons and tons of bands that shouldn't even be looked at because their labels have no retail distribution deal at all.

Is there a dollar cutoff (Japanese import prices still are through the roof) to what you're able to accept as 'available'? "Well to buy this European band with no US distribution it would cost $13 but this Japanese version is $25 so that doesn't count." And then if the European band gets a US deal the next year suddenly the previous year's release doesn't count again?

Or just a "The US market is the only one that counts" when it's clearly the one that counts LEAST in metal, well...

Then we have the fun Virgin Black example. Came out in Australia in 2000. Then in Europe in 2001. Then in the US in 2002.

I don't understand how an album's release date can be at all disputed. It's out when it's out wherever it's first released.

Hmm, you make some excellent points and I can't deny them.

I guess I go by what the copyright date says on the back of my cd (or in some cases, the original copyright date inside the jacket)! :lol:

And I'm fairly sure my copy of 'Wages...' says 2002, simply because it was packaged with the 2nd bonus CD...

I do see your point though.

Hmm, you make some excellent points and I can't deny them.

I guess I go by what the copyright date says on the back of my cd (or in some cases, the original copyright date inside the jacket)! :lol:

And I'm fairly sure my copy of 'Wages...' says 2002, simply because it was packaged with the 2nd bonus CD...

I do see your point though.

It gets more fun because some releases are printed up at the end of a year with that year's copyright date, and either the release isn't scheduled for the next year or release gets delayed and it's not out til the next year but it has the previous year's copyright date.

And any label when they get rights put the copyright date as the current year... I'm betting those CM reissues of the titles I mentioned above say 2002 as well.

Completely.

I had this *exact* same conversation with my friend JayKeeley the other day, and I used Helloween's 'The Dark Ride' as an example (released in Europe in 2000, in the USA in 2002, huh?). Also, since Blind Guardian didn't have a US distribution deal in the USA until Century Media picked them up around the time of 'Nightfall...', I believe everything they released in the 90s says (c) 1999, LOL.

When all else fails, I go by when I COULD GET THE ALBUM. ;)

That's why Satyricon 'Volcano' made my list and Amon Amarth 'Versus The World' did not. But it will in 2003. :D

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
I think it's pretty insulting to make it sound like the 2002 Japanese release doesn't count as the 'real' release date...

I don't mean to insult. I just think there should be a certain "population magnitude" when determining release dates. What that would be, I don't know... but something greater than Japan's 125 million inhabitants. Although, admittedly, I do consider an album like Armageddon's "Embrace the Mystery" (only released in Japan and Korea) to be a 2001 release (which I don't foresee getting a NA or Euro release anytime in the near future). It is a blurry line... but I am considering the new Andromeda to be a 2003 release... since MOST people did not have the chance to hear it in 2002 due to its Japan-only late-November release... anyone outside of Japan would have to shell out outrageous dough to hear that thing.

By the way... here's the release dates for other territories:

North America: March 11th (Century Media)

Europe: March 24th (New Hawen Rec/Century Media)

Korea: February (Pony Canyon)

Get glasses.

:sigh: Excuse me? Did I mention your name anywhere? Anyway, forget I ever posted in this thread. Knock yourselves out fretting over this kind of stuff on the internet while people like me sit back and laugh.