Any newbies like me going to PPUSA?? Just a little intro...

templeofmax

Aug 13, 2009
I have been wanting to go to PPUSa since its inception...but my studies and the fact that my friends know more about turtles than real good music (you know what I´m talking about) left me on my own, so I didn´t really make the trip. Now, after school (both under and graduate in Boston - too much school is messing with my brain:)) and the fact that my sister has been so nice in offering to go with me (I am converting her...at least she liked the DSO, Orphaned Land and Mindflow samples..trying her to like Sabaton is a lost cause I believe), I am thrilled to go to my first ProgPower. And what better year than this year (although wanting badly to see Savatage a few years ago) with so many bands I love: Fates Warning (Saw them with DT and Queensryche a while ago and they ripped the place apart), Royal Hunt, Brainstorm, Orphaned Land, Crimson Glory (only have Trascendence, and very recejntly converted, but what an album!!!)..and other great bands I am getting to know (Pagan´s Mind, Circus Maximus, Sabatton, DSO, Cage)...plus the amazing Enchant (love Vanden Plas, but couldn´t have gotten a better replacement) and Primal Fear for the Showcase!!!...

I am originally from Colombia, South America, look more American or British I´ve been told as of late...but my accent gives me away....after 9 years in Boston I am back home and ready to fly north again for this great show!!! Hope ot make some metal freinds along the way so next time I don´t have to drag my sister into the whole thing:):).

Thanks.

Max.

Believe me when I say this, everyone that has a ticket is now your friend. Come back every year and be TALKATIVE and u will make friends quickly.

My first year I made at least 20 new friends that I keep in contact with because of the fest.

First year here too! (+1 other noob that i'm dragging along with me)

I also feel like a "long time listener, first time caller". I've wanted to go to this thing for like the past 4 years or so. Last year I did some of the European summer festivals, and almost decided to do that again this year, but realized that I needed to support the (seemingly) best homegrown show available. School has been/will be in the way for the next several years, but I figure what the hell...gotta support it anyway. Utah gets shit for concerts, so I want my money going to a promoter who has the balls to pull in bands that no one else will.

Cheers to everyone who makes it happen despite the shitty economic situation.
The lineup is fantastic, and I can't wait til the show! :kickass:

It's my first year as well. I managed to book the Artmore just because it was close. It all has just kind of fallen into place this year. I'm really looking forward to it. I actually found out about ProgPower by wanting to see Sabaton and they had one US date on their website which is ProgPower.

Believe me when I say this, everyone that has a ticket is now your friend. Come back every year and be TALKATIVE and u will make friends quickly.
Exactly. Probably the most friendly crowd you'll every attend a show with.

My first year I made at least 20 new friends that I keep in contact with because of the fest.
Exactly.

Zod

You newbs are in for a treat - not only is the fest first class+, the people who attend are great. I think you will really enjoy the laid back atmosphere - and I am sure the bands do. They can kick back and just hang with people, meet new people without some of the madness of the bigger fests.

Once you hit Atlanta and the general area around Center Stage - just look for anyone wearing a black metal t-shirt and ask them for directions, recommendations, if you can sit at their table etc.

It's like a big extended family - with Glenn as the Godfather (so don't piss him off :) Haven't decided what shirts to bring, due to my advanced age and slightly increasing midsection - some of the old Manowar, Anacrusis etc shirts may not fit too well :) so it may be some old ProgPower shirts (that will help me stand out lol) - or if you see anyone wearing a shirt by a band called "-itis" (will probably have something sarcastic on the front) - that'll be me - say hi.

cheers
jeff

I am originally from Colombia, South America, look more American or British I´ve been told as of late...but my accent gives me away....after 9 years in Boston I am back home and ready to fly north again for this great show!!!

Max.

Well I'm still consider myself a newbie even if this is my second one (first was in 2006), I also studied in USA but my accent gives me away too :lol:.

So like everybody said, just get into people and conversation, the whole experience is about community and good time and music and find new friends. And if you find me (the short white bald guy, the tall one is Zod :p you can also speak Spanish :D

I remember my first year, standing in a line at the RI to check in, and i must have meet 40 or 50 people, by the time the weekend was over i didn't want to go home, and had made some friends for life, each year i have gone back i make new friends by the dozen. This has to be the most uplifting experience you will ever attend.

I remember my first year, standing in a line at the RI to check in, and i must have meet 40 or 50 people, by the time the weekend was over i didn't want to go home, and had made some friends for life, each year i have gone back i make new friends by the dozen. This has to be the most uplifting experience you will ever attend.

I remember that first year too, J-Man. I remember you calling me up the night before and offering me the extra spot in your room so I wouldn't have to be off in a hotel by myself. Having never met me (only in this forum and the Sunday chat) I thought that was very cool - although I admit I was a bit hesitant at first. Meeting you and the many, many other PP attendees that weekend is one I'll never forget and I enjoy making new memories and new friends each year.

Back OT, welcome to the fest Max, and I guarantee you and your sister will have a good time. Introduce yourself to everybody and come ready to have fun. Rest up ahead of time though - I will warn you that my first year I wasn't properly "conditioned" for the long days/nights of being on my feet and it will probably catch up to/sneak up on you by Saturday.

I can't wait to meet everyone. I'm short with long blonde hair wearing a black and purple brocade corset. My husband (Jim) has shoulder length blonde hair and he is short, too. I have no idea what he is wearing. Though he is not willing to wear a kilt.

-Glory

I am attending the Saturday show, and it's my 2nd time...although it's going to be the longest I have been there. The first show I was only able to attend 1 day, and due to a wreck on I-20 missed almost the entire show. I bought tickets from a really nice guy, but got lost in Atlanta afterwards and spent frustrating minutes trying to find the place. Once there though...I still remember walking into the arena and hearing Pagan's Mind and how mindblowingly cool the whole thing was. That's why i'm going back this year, to see them in their entirety...although I really want to see CM, Brainstorm and Fates as well. I'm pretty clean cut, but will be wearing my DT shirt I got at the show a few weeks back. I work in an office, what can you do? LOL! I'll be with my younger cousin who informed me that "cool metal music" is still being made...who knew? LOL!

Well I'm still consider myself a newbie even if this is my second one (first was in 2006), I also studied in USA but my accent gives me away too :lol:.

So like everybody said, just get into people and conversation, the whole experience is about community and good time and music and find new friends. And if you find me (the short white bald guy, the tall one is Zod :p you can also speak Spanish :D

Where are you from??

I remember that first year too, J-Man. I remember you calling me up the night before and offering me the extra spot in your room so I wouldn't have to be off in a hotel by myself. Having never met me (only in this forum and the Sunday chat) I thought that was very cool - although I admit I was a bit hesitant at first. Meeting you and the many, many other PP attendees that weekend is one I'll never forget and I enjoy making new memories and new friends each year.

Back OT, welcome to the fest Max, and I guarantee you and your sister will have a good time. Introduce yourself to everybody and come ready to have fun. Rest up ahead of time though - I will warn you that my first year I wasn't properly "conditioned" for the long days/nights of being on my feet and it will probably catch up to/sneak up on you by Saturday.

Thanks man, although perhaps a seat will be more appropiate with my sister and all...hopefully I can get some seats!!!!

Cool, new folks. For me (and trust me, you will see me running somewhere, or possibly yelling), trip me or something to say hi. Glenn has been kind enough to allow me more time to socialize, but I'm also a bit introverted so I tend to hide backstage a lot. My social director is Su, who will be assisting with T-shirts and gold badges, so feel free to let her trip me for you, she loves it. :)

That said, if I come off as rude, my apologies, it means I'm in a rush to do something, nothing against anyone. :) (except Eric).

my sister has been so nice in offering to go with me (I am converting her...at least she liked the DSO, Orphaned Land and Mindflow samples..trying her to like Sabaton is a lost cause I believe)

I echo what everybody else says. Make sure your sister checks out each band at least a little bit. If it's not her thing, she can hang out in the lobby area and meet people.

Post your picture in the Posters & nametags thread.

Welcome to the newbies!!!

My first year attending, I was on the same flight as MetalSeamstress, who was kind enough to show me around. I always try to pay it forward if I can!

Definitely check out the newly posted thread on Friday lunch...this is an excellent opportunity to meet your fellow forum members in a very laid-back environment.

Take a look at the thread with flight arrival times. (This one might be in the lounge). Also check out the photo thread...and watch for AMBR's poster with photos of forum members. "Aren't you ____ from the forum?" is usually a good conversation starter. Even if the person is NOT who you thought. :lol:

Finally, you might search the forum for keywords like "advice" and "first PP". There have been plenty of threads over the years where the veterans share lots of good tips. Someone less lazy than I am could probably collate them all into a single post. :oops:

Have fun!!