Any Of You Old-Timers remember Centaur?

Dec 16, 2002
www.facebook.com
Centaur was a German progressive metal band who were around in the mid to late 90's. They put out a couple good discs .. for me mainly Perception, and The God Complex. They then just kind of disappeared around '98.

The other day while checking out some music on LaLa.com I was shocked to see that they have a new studio disc out entitled .. The Origin Of Sin. They basically have returned with new material after an 11 year hiatus.

From what I heard the music seemed a little more straightforward than I remember from them in the past, but seemed solid overall. Here is a link to Lala's site where you can actually listen to the complete disc one time thru free of charge. You then can legally purchase the album in mp3 format for their standard pricing of $7.49.

I have not had any luck finding a website for these guys yet. Lala lists the label as Sound Gorilla ... never heard of it.

Well anyway .. here's that link.

http://www.lala.com/#album/360569446126736031/Centaur/The_Origin_Of_Sin

Britt

Well THAT'S totally random! I have "God Complex" and definitely remember enjoying it greatly back in the day..... Hopefully somebody picks up the CD and carries it..... I still have not gotten into the downloading thing yet.

Somebody will probably carry it eventually, but I must admit their is very little information out there about this band, and this new disc. Maybe one of the vendors will pop into this thread with some info on how to purchase an actual cd.

Britt

Thanks for the info -- long time Centaur fan here and I have all of their discs, including a very rare "live" disc they released way back when ......

Like others, I'm not a fan of the download, but will definitely check out the hear-ahead listen ......

Funny how bands like this show up every few years or so .....

wow Larry! I bought "The God Complex" on your reccomendation at Powermad '98...great band! I think I bought the band VOICE with the same purchase!

Yup, have The God Complex here too. Haven't listened in awhile. I'll have to put that on my "to listen" list.

Interested to hear the new stuff. Thanks!

I actually own Centaur's last three studio albums (Power World, ...Perception..., and God Complex), and I felt that they improved with each release. I'm glad to hear that they're at it again. Is there an official website or at least a MySpace page?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

You consider the mid to late nineties the old times? Yikes!

Um, probably not meant that way. Probably meant as in: any of you who were listening to obscure progmetal bands back when there was only like a few hundred in the country listening to that kind of thing. For example, nowadays it's not that crazy to run into someone who listens to Evergrey, but if you saw them play at Powermad? That's kinda old-school. :loco:

And how many people know of a band like Centaur, who I assume have been out of print for something like 8-10 years?

Cool to hear they might be back...

ps. GLENN!!! CENTAUR FOR PROGPOWER XII!!!!!!! :lol:

Centaur was a German progressive metal band from Germany who are around in the mid to late 90's. They put out a couple good discs .. for me mainly Perception, and The God Complex. They then just kind of disappeared around '98.

The other day while checking out some music on LaLa.com I was shocked to see that they have a new studio disc out entitled .. The Origin Of Sin. They basically have returned with new material after an 11 year hiatus.

From what I heard the music seemed a little more straightforward than I remember from them in the past, but seemed solid overall. Here is a link to Lala's site where you can actually listen to the complete disc one time thru free of charge. You then can legally purchase the album in mp3 format for their standard pricing of $7.49.

I have not had any luck finding a website for these guys yet. Lala lists the label as Sound Gorilla ... never heard of it.

Well anyway .. here's that link.

http://www.lala.com/#album/360569446126736031/Centaur/The_Origin_Of_Sin

Britt

Centaur rocks!

"Mob Rules The World" and "Power World" were more straight ahead melodic metal in the Pretty Maids style and were fine stuff (especially Power World, the 1st one was just good). Then they changed the singer and became more progressive, which resulted in the excellent "God Complex" and also "Perception", which I liked a bit less, though still good. Then they completely disappeared. I'm really suprised to see they came back from the dead. I'll surely check out the new disc.

BTW, were you able to preview the songs on the Lala site? Is it US only? Cause when I click to preview, a message (both in English and in French) says that the music will soon be available for international users. Too bad, I'd like to have a taste of that new disc...

Edit: I'm able to preview the songs there: http://fr.7digital.com/artists/centaur/the-origin-of-sin/ It sounds indeed pretty good. Maybe heavier and more straight-forward than before. Definitely a new singer, not any of the previous 2 guys. I'll keep an eye on this...