Avant-garde/experimental black metal

optionthree

Better than the first two
Dec 23, 2008
Calgary, AB
Well, I'm not usually much of a black metal guy, but I am getting into some of the more unorthodox stuff. Dodheimsgard in particular are one band I love. What are some other bands in that vein?

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Ved Buens Ende, especially due to the OP liking DHG.

Incase you don't know them, VBE is the earlier project of the guitarist of DHG, Victonik and one of their previous drummers, Carl-Micheal Eide (Czarl). They are infinately better in my opinion. If you like VBE also check out Virus, Czarl's newer project. Not much black metal, but very avant-garde and awesome.

Reactions: isberg
later enslaved. below the lights is their best of the later work. and probably one of the best albums of the style
~gR~

Oh how could I forget. Abigor's latest album Fractal Possession is what the doctor ordered.

Or he could just take it up the ass. Not only is it pretty much the same thing, but it's also a lot cheaper.

All I have by them. My understanding is everything else is very different. What's their best?