Axel Rudi Pell

He is not better than:
Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius)
Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt (Angra)
Stephan Forte (Adagio)
Alexi Laiho (CHildren of Bodom)
The guys from Dark Moor
Broderick (Jag Panzer)
The guy from Majestic
Victor Smolski (Rage/Mind Odyssey)
Luca Turilli (Rhapsody)
Andre Olbrich (Blind Guardian)
The guy from Artension
Patrick Rondat (Elegy)
The guys from Shadow Gallery
Jarno Keskinen (KenZiner)
Stephan Lill (Vanden Plas)
Jason Becker
James MUrphy
Joe Stump
etc, etc, etc, etc.................................

ARP is good, but not that god...

Alex Rudi Pell sounds more like a shredder than anything. Guitarist like that are a dime a dozen. SOme of his other stuff like Carousel actually isn't bad and it's not as solo heavy as some of the other stuff.

Guys like
David Chastain
Joe Stump
Stefan Forte
Toby Knapp (Onward)
Michael Harris
Jeffrey Kollman
Neil Zaza
Alex Masi
Shaun Michaud (Event)
Steve Vai
Eric Johnson

are as good or better than ARP

I don't mean to sound like an asshole here, but i've heard thousands of metal bands now and i can say that there are so many great guitar players out there that there is no possible way to say that there is a "best" player. I play guitar myself and when i listen to music i have certain things i look for that determine how much i like the particular player's style. But as far as ability goes, there are too many greats to single one out as the best...its personal taste really when it comes to the top notch performance of metal artists these days...so ROCK ON!!! metal rules! and try not to bash guitarists cause they aren't to your tastes...respect them for what they are, even if they aren't a clone of you favorite

That brings up an interesting point actually...i could never understand what was the hype surrounding Nirvana...in my opinion this band is nothing more than a semi-average rock band (i'm being generous, disguising my loathing for them) with poor, monotonous vocals, boring and ambiguous lyrics, and very simple guitar "work" and drumming. The songs are very basic and not very intelligently comprised...some of my friends enjoy this band and the radio tends to favor them so i know a lot of the repoitoire of songs. But simply i do not see what has given them the momentum in media, at least as far as their abilities. This is obviously the case for many artists in mainstream and there are always bands we would rather see take their fame...but i was just wondering if anyone here feels what I feel or if there are genuine people who actually enjoy this crap. The whole grunge seen was a mystery, sort of like country. To me it just seems like bad music, no more no less. Any comments are welcome, sharing my opinion or not.