Bands you don't "get."

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Yeah, that's why I said I've learned to "tolerate" the growling, Wheez. If the album contains only partial death vocals, I've learned to live with it. But I can't stomach any album that growls all the way through. One of my favorite bands, Orphaned Land, have a mix of clean/death vox. This I can handle...grudgingly!

Oh! Ok, gotcha. I was a little goofed around there. Sorry. I'm pretty much the same way although I do actually enjoy some death vox. And OL would be another example of a band whose style I enjoy -- including the death vox.

lolz speaking of rediculous vocals....I was at my bassist's house last weekend, and he's in another band aside from mine. Well the vocalist for his other band started drinking a little early....and so by about 1-2 am he was puking quite a bit....or trying to I should say. He had already vomitted everything up in his stomach so he was just dry heaving for a while. My bassist's mom comes down, and asks "what's wrong with Justin?" (the guy puking) we just tell her he's practicing his vocals:tickled: and she believed us! It was so funny.

#1_Droogie said:
and asks "what's wrong with Justin?" (the guy puking) we just tell her he's practicing his vocals:tickled: and she believed us! It was so funny.

Awsome! :lol:, but it describes a lot of growled vocals I have heard tho' :Smug:

here's another one I dont get what's up these bands that are featured on
the ball like As I Lay Dying (crying), Darkest Hour, It Dies Today and so on
that look New Wave Mods and one band did a cover of depeche mode last
saturday I just dont get those fashioncore bands at all.

Opeth - Just sounds so "we're going to be prog for the sake of it - but we have death vocals so we're unique!" Pretentious is a word that often comes to mind. In their place I listen to Enslaved :worship: one of the best bands in the world. They take the prog thing and the black metal thing and meld them, instead of having boring pretentious prog with death vocals. They add so much atmosphere. So for those who can't get into Opeth, try Enslaved.

Tool - Argh. Is it just me or do most of their riffs just sound the same? It's hard to listen to... I can't find a hook in just about all of their songs. Granted, they do have some good moments, but they're surrounded by appallingly dull moments.

Although I will disagree with the majority of this thread haha! I love all 'flower metal' bands. Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius in particular. I think Timo Kotipelto is one of the best vocalists going and is an amazing front man.

ceydn said:
Opeth - Just sounds so "we're going to be prog for the sake of it - but we have death vocals so we're unique!" Pretentious is a word that often comes to mind. In their place I listen to Enslaved :worship: one of the best bands in the world. They take the prog thing and the black metal thing and meld them, instead of having boring pretentious prog with death vocals. They add so much atmosphere. So for those who can't get into Opeth, try Enslaved.

Tool - Argh. Is it just me or do most of their riffs just sound the same? It's hard to listen to... I can't find a hook in just about all of their songs. Granted, they do have some good moments, but they're surrounded by appallingly dull moments.

Although I will disagree with the majority of this thread haha! I love all 'flower metal' bands. Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius in particular. I think Timo Kotipelto is one of the best vocalists going and is an amazing front man.

I do like Tool and Opeth, but I will say that they are two of the bands I like that I fully understand other people not liking. Just one of those things that either falls into your vibe or not.

That said, I do NOT hear enough about Enlsaved on this forum, methinks. They are a fantastic band, and their records are always interesting and definately progressive. I'm ashamed to admit I still don't have ISA, but I STILL listen to Below the Lights, some couple of years on. I just got a little bonus check from work today, and I vow to get ISA before the day closes! Enslaved!