bands you've experimented with...

lucifer_cbhc

lindbergian
Mar 7, 2003
haven't seen this one... and this is how i find most of my music, too. what are some band/CD combos that you've bought on a whim? maybe a passing word from a friend, but you've never heard of full song of it, and just decided for one reason or another, to buy it?

i've got some pretty good ones that i can remember off the top of my head...

In Flames - Reroute to Remain (first In Flames... now have 5 of them)
Dark Tranquility - Damage Done (first DT... going to buy more!)
The Crown - Crowned in Terror (because of Lindberg)
Sentenced - Amok (amazing album..)
Sinergy - Beware the Heavens (knew it was an Alexi Laiho/Jesper Stromblad and it had to be good)
Soilwork - Steelbath Suicide (random choice)
The Great Deciever - A Venom Well Designed (because of Lindberg)

been some not-so-good ones, too.

Lockup - Hate Breeds Suffering (because of Lindberg)
Venom - Black Metal

plan on buying the new Dimension Zero CD when it comes out.

I bought Soilwork's NBC on a whim... didn't like it.

I bought Godflesh and the Obsessed on a whim.

I thought Obsessed was okay and I first hated Godflesh. I later liked them after a few listens.

I don't think I'll ever top the day I picked up In Flames - Whoracle and Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. I think I saw both CD's in an old Nuclear Blast catalogue and decided to give 'em a shot. Ended up being the beginning of my European metal obsession :).

I recently picked up the new Amon Amarth after only hearing their previous album once or twice last year....I'm very happy with it.

-Humanure

NP: Carnivore - Male Supremacy

interestingly, that's how i got into metal. one of the first albums i ever bought was "haven" - just because I had read something once about it. worked out well in my opinion.
~qat

I bought Zyklon's World OV Worms for no reasons. Till this day I still wonder why...

- red_beef [happy with the cd anyway :)]

@necrotiqat : I love your avatar. :) Nosferatu is one of my favourite movies.

I also bought some old David Gray albums without listening to any of the songs on them. They have quite a different sound from the new ones. More acoustic. I've learned to love them though.

Also I go the old COC ones (with different singers) without hearing them. Blind is okay. The old punk style ones aren't that great IMO.

too many bands to list.

lately though, I've got no money, so I've been downloading a ton of mp3s from all sorts of bands/artists.

So I kept hearing about this band Opeth a few years ago when Blackwater Park came out. I read some reviews of the album and it seemed to sound like just what I was looking for. I went to a local cd store and picked it up...I went home and I had to pick my jaw up from the floor :zombie:

Even though I hated their Anthems album, I gave Emperor another chance with In the Nightside Eclipse. Needless to say I was blown away, what a phenominal album.

I bought Paradise Lost's Icon when I saw half of a song (don't even know what song that was) in TV and DT's Projector after I heard ThereIn. Both great picks.
One Minute Silence: Buy now... saved later was random pick, and it's not so great but ok... Random pick was also some Corrosion of conformity cd, didn't like it so I sold it.

i seldom buy cds at random

near dark -> turned out to be the crappiest cd i own
soundgarden - superunknown -> turned out to be great
amorphis - tales... -> founded my death metal awareness
tiamat - wildhoney -> bought on recommendation of a friend and i had a lot of fun with this one