Behemoth/BDM/Nile/KD Show last night!

Starless Dragon

Beneath The Starless Sky
Aug 12, 2004
Asscrappy Texas
www.livejournal.com
I just saw the Nile/KD show last night. Fuckin' ruled. Behemoth did start really early, maybe 10-15 minutes after doors opened, but luckily my gf and I got there early as well, so we were near the front of the line to get in. Got in, bought a new Nile shirt, then talked with Karl Sanders for a bit, asked him where to buy his solo album as I couldn't find it anywhere. He directed me to his merch guy who had a few copies, so I bought one, then Karl offered to sign it. Rock on. Karl's a great guy, I've met him all three times I"ve seen Nile, he's always cool to talk and hang out with, just like the guys in Vehemence. You guys rule. Anyway he signed my gf's shirt too and we talked Nile music for a little while, then Behemoth started so I went over to the stage.

It was the 3rd time I've seen Behemoth, and they put on a great show but the crowd sucked ass. Besides myself there were like, 5 people moving/headbanging or anything, and no pit at all. Pretty lame. Nergal looked pissed about it and gave the crowd the finger between each song, lmao. Hilarious. They didn't get to play very long either, but at least by the end of the show a few more people were into them.

I think it was mostly KD fans who got there early and had never heard of Behemoth, or weren't really into the more extreme metal. Some of the Behemoth/Nile fans probably thought the show would start later and Black Dahlia would go on first.

Anyway, Behemoth's short set included Scupting The Thone Ov Seth, Demigod
and Conquer All from Demigod, AntiChristian Phenomenon, I think As Above So Below from Zos, and one or two others, Christians To The Lions and Pagan Vastlands, I'm not as familiar with their older material as I"d like to be, and I can't understand the words that are coming out of Nergal's Mouth. Lol.

Anyway, it kicked ass even though the crowd sucked.

Next out was Black Dahlia Murder who left me pretty unimpressed. No idea what their set list was cause I don't know their songs. They were alright, good musicans and a good performance, but it struck me as nothing I haven't heard plenty of times before. If I wanna listen to melo-deth with melothrash riffs and plenty of old In Flames and At the Gates rip offs, I'll just listen to those bands lol.

Nile was up next, and that was who I was there to see. As usual, they did not dissapoint. They new drummer, George Kolias, as pretty amazing, just as fast and fluid as Laureno and Hammoura. Not that I should have been surprised, Nile wouldn't work with a shitty drummer lol. The new bassist was incredible, watching him warm up before the show I quickly realized why Nile called off the auditions after trying him out. Amazing fretwork and incredible right hand technique.

Anyway Nile came out strong, opening with The Blessed Dead, and then Ramses Bringer Of War. Dallas makes a great front man, and was taunting the crowd for not being rowdy and loud enough.

"Now you gonna understand, I've been playing metal a long-ass time and I can't hear much anymore, so you gotta get a lot-fucking-louder!" Or something like that lol.

Then they played a new song, Cast Down The Heretic, it ruled. Then they played Sarcophogus, followed by Chapter For Transforming Into A Snake, and two more songs from Annihilation of the Wicked, including the title track, and closed with Black Seeds, I believe. My memory is a little fried lol.

So I think the setlist was something like this:

Blessed Dead
Ramses Bringer Of War
Cast Down The Heretic ( New )
Sarcophagus
Chapter For Transforming Into A Snake
New Song ( Forget the Name, Coming Unto Sebek or something?)
Annhilation Of The Wicked ( New )
Black Seeds Of Vengeance

There may have been another song or two in there I'm forgetting.

Sadly they couldn't encore though people were calling for one, as it was KD's tour.

King Diamond took forever to hit the stage but came out with a real entertainign stage show. I don't know his material well, but it was pretty good stuff. Andy is an excellent guitarist, and King is a great showmen. And love or hate his vocals, you have to admit that takes some serious vocal talent. They played a bunch from Abigail, and then scattered songs from a bunch of other albums up through Puppet Master.

The bassist was funny as hell looking, strutting around the stage with his teased hair, in his black and white stripped tights lmao, like he thought was in Van Halen in 82 or something.

Anyway King Diamond did a great show, but it was rather anti-climatic for me since he followed Nile, and I'm a huge Nile fan.