Best album of the year so far...

Just picked up Cavalera Conspiracy today - after two spins I have to say I'm impressed. Suprisingly, it doesn't sound like Sepultura, Soulfly or even Nailbomb. Too early to say if it is "Album of the Year", but I think it is a strong contender.:kickass:

firewind's "the premonition" is pretty damn good but it and the new in flame's album are the only albums I've bought that came out this year.

edit: blah I just realized this is the old school section ;/

firewind's "the premonition" is pretty damn good but it and the new in flame's album are the only albums I've bought that came out this year.

edit: blah I just realized this is the old school section ;/

Just because it says school doesn't mean we're (entirely) stuck in the 80s. Almost all the regulars on this board like new stuff (Firewind, In Flames, you name it).

Black Tide - Light From Above

They kicked ass when I saw them open up for A7X and they kick mega-ass on this CD. Tight production, tight musicianship, catchy songs, heavy riffs. This is like Kill 'Em All circa 2008. They also do a cover of Hit the Lights - Imagine Iron Maiden attempting their own cover of the song. Very unique interpretation.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ALL OLD SCHOOLERS! :headbang:

This is great stuff! A new band from the USA that has groove?! What has the world gone to?! :kickass:
Kinda like The Offspring meets Skid Row IMO.

It´s mid-February! At least give us sometime to buy stuff :lol:

Avantasia - "The Scarecrow" light-years above the "Metal Opera", a great metal/rock album with very good collaborations by Alice Cooper, Jorn Lande, Rudolph Schenker and more.

Viron new album is closing in nevertheless it already displaced new Death Angel. I know Pharaoh and Testament will not do for the first place nor Firewind which I just received. Will see what the year brings, it's barely April.

Just picked up "Running Wild" by Airbourne!:kickass:

I can see where the inevitable AC/DC comparisons come from, but I don't think they are just copying anyone. If anything, they share a similar attitude to AC/DC and Motorhead - this is good time party hard rock - good drinking music!:kickass:

So far looks like this:

1. Avantasia – “The Scarecrow”
2. Viron – “Ferrum Gravis”
3. Death Angel – “Killing Season”
4. Benedictum – “Seasons Of Tragedy”
5. Pharaoh – “Be Gone”
6. Firewind – “The Premonition”
7. Andre Matos – “Time To Be Free”
8. Testament – “The Formation Of Damnation”
9. Nazareth – “The Newz”
10. Crystal Viper – “The Last Axeman”

But I'm awaiting the new Sabaton and I intend to haul Black Ride and Tyr soon.

So far, as follows:

1) Testament - Formation (shocked that it's THIS good!)
2) Jon Oliva - Global Warning
3) Kings X
4) Black Crowes
5) Ayreon

I've yet to hear the new Glenn Hughes which I imagine will rule.

Others likely to rule this year:
Anathema
Opeth
Flotsam & Jetsam

The new Testament album is an absolute corker, totally amazing in all possible ways. Each member of the band is on the form of their lives, particularly Messrs Skolnick and Billy, I just wish that the Metal Masters tour was coming this side of the pond.

Definitely my album of the year so far. Testament have thrown down one hell of a challenge - question is, do metallica have the cojones to pick it up? (kind of doubt it somehow!)

I'm gonna try a little top five ;

1) Morglbl - Grötesk (instrumental Vai/Zappa-like stuff)
2) Black Tide - Light from Above
3) Benedictum - Seasons of Tragedy
4) Red Line - Ignition
5) Tiles - Fly Paper

the album I look out for most is the new Cloudscape,
samples on their Myspace sound very good
http://www.myspace.com/cloudscapemetal

A few albums I enjoy at the moment. No order yet although it looks like Zero Hour will be in my top 5 again this year.

Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver
Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine
Sabaton - The Art Of War
Opeth - Watershed
Kataklysm - Prevail
Communic - Payment Of Existence
Carach Angren - Lammendam
Bonded By Blood - Feed The Beast
Biomechanical - Cannibalized
Arsis - We Are The Nightmare

Arsis, Eluveitie, Korpiklanni, Testament, Kataklysm, Children Of Bodom, Inflames, Belphegor, Deicide, Alestorm, Heaven Shall Burn ......its only June and next week The new Tyr, Unleashed, and Moonspell

I have a feeling the new Iced Earth will be pretty special... the single sounds really good.. Testament's new one is also good. Pyramaze will be up there at the end of 2008 also.