Best Concert Ever Question

claymanx

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
What is the best concert that you have ever attended? For being a diehard metal fan for 7 years I have only seen a handful of concerts unfortunately, mostly because I am at college and far away from the chicago metal scene (where most of the concerts are preformed), plus I don't have no money! I've seen Iron Maiden twice(once time with Halford and Queensryche), Inflames, Megadeth/Iced Earth, and Iced Earth/Destiny's End. I know this is a pathetic list, but hey, I do what I can! And traveling to Atlanta this November will obviously be the best out of these, hands down, I'll bet my metalsoul on it, but so far my first IE concert was the best....for two reasons, first, destiny's end was awesome as an opener, and second, I saw iced earth play in a little dinky bar, in which the band and the speakers were ten feet away from my face. The sound wasn't too great but it was still Very cool stuff....As for the PP III, I'm already excited for next year, because if the bands playing stays of such unbelievably high caliber, the 600 mile trip will be a yearly routine:D

PP II!!!!! Angel Dust, Symphony X, Evergrey and Kamelot were awesome!
But only until november, because PPIII is going to be even better. Blind Guardian!!!!!!!! Angra!!!!! Gamma Ray!!!! Those three bands are enough to make this a show for the ages, but the rest of the bands are very good too. I still have to hear some music from Reading Zero and Devin Townsend.

I have to admit, I've been lucky to see some pretty cool gigs over the years. In no particular order:

1 - Ultimate Sin / Puppets Tour - Ozzy/Metallica, 1986 (Jake E Lee - where is he now..?)
2 - Donnington Monsters of Rock, 1988, "Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour" (Iron Maiden, GnR, Megadeth, Helloween to name but a few)
3 - "In Vertigo You Will Be" Tour - Metallica/Megadeth/The Almighty/Diamond Head - Milton Keynes, 1991
4 - "Clash of the Titans" (Suicidal Tendencies/ Testament/ Megadeth/ Slayer) - Wembley Arena, 1990
5 - Judas Priest / Annhilator - "Painkiller Tour" Hammersmith Odeon, 1990
6 - Iron Maiden / Anthrax - Wembley Arena, 1991
7 - Faith No More - London Astoria 1990 - just for the best live cover of War Pigs alone

...and then it all fell silent in the 90's - there was a dark cloud hanging over Europe named GRUNGE....to add, Megadeth became lame after RIP, Iron Maiden lost Bruce and Adrian, Rob Halford lost the plot completely, all while the world became obsessed with Kurt Kobain and Oasis. Oh and two words: LOAD and RE-LOAD (enough said).

More recently though, a great concert was Iron Maiden/ Queensryche/ Halford at Madison Square Gardens, NYC. It was SO good to see Bruce and Adrian back in the band - reminding us all of the time when Iron Maiden were the best (pre-Janick Gers).

And the odd Ozzfest isn't too bad - just because Ozzy is God, but I could do without most of his support acts.

Which makes ProgPower III even more special since I have never seen ANY of the bands on the roster, and I LOVE Edguy, Gamma Ray, and Blind Guardian.

1. Rush w/eric Johnson at The Palace of Auburn Hills

2. Clash of the Titans with Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth and Alice In Chains at Pine Knob Music Theater

3. ProgPower II

4. Forgot the name of the tour but it featured Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Dangerous Toys and Metal Church.

5. Styx, Emerson-Lake & Palmer, Kansas Pine Know music Theater

6. Iron Maiden, Rainbow, Scorpions at Toledo SPorts Arena

7. Toledo Speedway Jam (Don't laugh) W/Molly Hatchet, Foghat, Three Dog Night, Blue Oyster Cult, Meatloaf

8. Lollapalooza with Jesus & The Mary Chain, Ice Cube, Lush, Ministry, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Megadeth, Red Hot Chile Peppers.

Gwar was my favorite. If they come to your town dont miss this show, even non metal heads will like it. As far as other shows go SOD and Lamb of God. It all depends on how much you like the music and how they pull it off live.

PPII is high in my list even though I missed out on the second night.

I saw Kiss for their reunion tour in 2000, and they were pretty cool live.

Tool puts on a great show.

I saw Ozzy w/ Black Sabbath once..great show. I also saw Ozzy alone.

Tori Amos is incredible live.

Slayer is insane live. I saw them at a small club, and it was crazy.

I've been to a lot of concerts that I've really enjoyed. I have a pretty wide range of taste, but my heart lies with metal. It's just too bad I don't get better shows around here although there are a lot of good concerts.

I thought about seeing GWAR at the same place I saw Slayer. They are coming here to Charlotte soon so I might go. I think it's only about $15 or so to get in.

I think it was like '97 or '98. I really was a good show, ELP impressed me even though they only played a little over an hour. Kansas and Styx were the bands I really wanted to see but ELP stole the show.

Other great performance I've seen include Iron Maiden, Rainbow & 38 Special, Scorpions (2x), Ozzy with Randy Rhoades, Black Sabbath on the Mob Rules tour with RJD, Rush w/Mr Big opening, Ted Nugents Whiplash Bash (3x), KISS during Creatures of The Night tour w/Night Ranger.

At the other end of the spectrum some of the worst shows I saw were Metallica at the Pontiac Silverdome with Monster of Rock. (actually everyone sounded horrible because the venue), Alvin Lee (10 Years After), Megadeth (who ironically also had an amazing performance during Clash of the Titans)

JOhn

zinescene: you saw Ozzy with Randy Rhoads? You are truly blessed. Randy changed everything - he ranks up there with Hendrix, Page, Iommi, and Blackmore. I can't imagine what it must have been like to see him in concert.

YEah, At the time you knew he was a real talent but I don't people really understood how truly gifted he really was. Ozzy was a nut as usual. I saw them at the Toledo Sports Arena shortly before he died. A real tragedy, his work on Diary of A Madman is some some of my favorite. I've had the good fortune of seeing Ritchie Blackmore also in concert and Tony Iommi with Black Sabbath of course.

JOhn

Originally posted by zinescene
..I saw them at the Toledo Sports Arena shortly before he died. A real tragedy, his work on Diary of A Madman is some some of my favorite.

Randy had just broken the ice - who knows what he would have done next? :cry: Since I'll never have the chance, I have to make do with one of the best live albums of all time, Ozzy's "Tribute". I WISH they could release a DVD of the same gig.

Lets see

SAVATAGE with NEVERMORE has to rank high on this list.

IRON MAIDEN on the # of the beast tour with JUDAS PRIEST

How bout drinkin pints of guiness with SAXON before a show, and then bein in the front row right in front of Biff?

Or maybe Motorhead, LOL, we met Lemmy before the show and couldnt understand a word the "bloke" had to say, and then after the show couldnt hear a thing anybody had to say, there is truth in his motto......"everything louder than everybody else"

NEVERMORE, OPETH, and ANGEL DUST

ICED EARTH, JAG PANZER, and IN FLAMES, oops, thats not for another two weeks.

OZZY'S first tour w/RANDY, with DEF LEP on their first trip to the US.

NAZARETH and TED NUGENT was pretty good for the early eighties.

OVERKILL is good anywhere you can see them.

I best stop, LOL, I wouldnt wanna take up the whole page.

Some of the best shows I've ever been to (not limited just to metal)...

* 1992/3 - Def Leppard w/ Ugly Kid Joe (ok, maybe the opener wasn't that great) :)

* 1996 - Ozzy w/ Type O Negative & Sepultura

* 1997 - Metallica "Load Tour" (arguments about the album aside, rigging the stage to fall apart was just cool)

* 2000 - Dream Theater w/ Dixie Dreggs (first time seeing both bands - awesome show)

* 2001 - Dio w/ Yngwie & Doro (excellent show)

* 2002 - "Year of the Shows" for me :)
*August - G3 Tour (Petrucci, Vai, Satriani)
*September - Lynyrd Skynyrd w/ Ted Nugent
*October - Alice Cooper w/ Lennon (the man can still rock)
*October - Benefit for America Show (Derrick St. John & various
guests, REO Speedwagon, Bad Company, Styx, Journey,
Lynyrd Skynyrd) - WOW! :)
*October - Fozzy (they're a joke, they know it, and they are a
lot of fun to watch).
*November - ProgPower 2.0 (nned I say more??)
*December - Moonspell w/ Lacuna Coil, Brave & Rain Fell Within
(first time seeing all bands - great show)
*December - Trans Siberian Orchestra (WOW!)

* 2003 - So much to see, so little time!
*January - GWAR (everyone should see them at least once!)
*November - ProgPower 3.0 (I already know this will be great)

It's not every show I've seen, but these are the ones that stand out to me as being the best for either sound, stage show, or just the bands themselves.

--Mike

My top ten favorite concerts of all time:

10. Metallica/C.O.C. - 1997 (Load Tour--I agree with Wishmaster on this one!!)
9. Van Halen - 1993 (Right Here, Right Now Tour, my first rock concert ever!)
8. Opeth/Amorphis/November's Doom - 2001 (My first time seeing all three, and Opeth blew me away, and I've been hooked since!!)
7. In Flames/Nevermore/Shadows Fall/Avernus - 2000 (Unbelievable show in a tiny, tiny club!!)
6. Pantera/Type O Negative - 1994 (Un-friggin'-believable!! My first pits!!)
5. Def Leppard/Enuff Z'Nuff - 1993 (Ugly Kid Joe cancelled this nite, and Enuff Z'Nuff sucked, but the Lep kicked ass as usual!)
4. Megadeth/Iced Earth - 2001 (IE blew me away, and at least I got to see Deth on their last tour. Plus I got to talk to Jon and Matthew from IE after the show!)
3. Pantera/Slayer/Morbid Angel/Static-X - 2001 (The tour that I waited for my entire life!)
2. Metallica/Danzig/Suicidal Tendencies - 1994 (Sh*t In The Sheds Tour, got to meet Lars and Jayson after the show!! Always an unbelievable memory!)
1. Dream Theater - 2002 (My first time seeing them and it topped everything that I have ever seen. Plus I got to see them do the entire Master of Puppets album better than I have ever seen Metallica do it!!!)

That's it for now, but 2002 is my year for shows too! I am sure that PP 3 will take the number 1 spot, plus I get to see Iced Earth/In Flames/Jag Panzer and the almighty DOWN three times!!

Originally posted by mandrake6

1. Dream Theater - 2002 (My first time seeing them and it topped everything that I have ever seen. Plus I got to see them do the entire Master of Puppets album better than I have ever seen Metallica do it!!!)

What??? Dream Theatre played the Master of Puppets album during their concert?

:confused:

Originally posted by LucioArgento

What??? Dream Theatre played the Master of Puppets album during their concert?

:confused:

Yes, yes they did. And it was amazing. They've done it a few times from my understanding. I know that they did it in Barcelona because you can get the bootleg CD of it on eBay. Trust me, it was unbelievable.