Best Post-"Reckoning Night" Sonata songs

GoRillaBoy76

you can call me RRrrr!!
Aug 22, 2008
I was making a list of my 10 favorite metal bands and even though I have not cared about Sonata in over a decade I love thier first 4 so much that I had to include them. So that got wondering what are the best Sony they have put out since Reckoning Night to try and get back into them.

PS I already know about Flag in the Ground, it is awesome.

I went through a similar drought, and similarly still consider the band an all-time favorite nonetheless. I did pick up their 2016 release, The Ninth Hour, and...

- "White Pearl, Black Oceans - Part II" ... about as good as it gets, incredible song, graceful/ powerful/ epic/ infectious
- "Candle Lawns" ... soft and ballady, but love the melody/story/emotion/etc (the punctuated ending!) ... replayed this one repeatedly
- "Life" ... killer track, universal appeal, uplifting as hell
- "We Are What We Are" ... magical song, soaring ... if only the message didn't make me cringe
- "Closer to Animal" and "Fairytale" ... high-quality, memorable rockers

To this day, I still say Sonata has an "it" factor that few others have. Writing style, vocal style, the hooks, the connection to the listener ... like there are actually real human beings behind the songs.

Good thread!