Blaze Bayley- Most overlooked metal artist?

Yeah, he wasn't a perfect fit with Maiden, and Wolfsbane wasn't for everyone, but dammit.....this guy has been releasing some of the BEST metal cds as a solo artist. From "Silicon Messiah" to his latest, "Promise And Terror", every cd is loaded with crushingly heavy riffs and some of the best lyrical content you're likely to listen to in metal. This is just fantastic, straight ahead, heavy "working mans" metal. I would LOVE to see him at a future ProgPower!
Anyone else digging these releases as much as I do?

I saw Blaze live a few weeks ago and he was awesome as usual. His voice is actually better live than on record sometimes. Also on the last 2 disks he no longer has the briliant production courtesy of Andy Sneap that he used to have, Therefore I have to say that the last 2 albums are not as good as the first 3 IMO. Don't get me wrong though they are great efforts in their own right. I think Blaze is a very humble guy and he's had a lot of bad luck in his life. Of course he's had a lot of good luck as well as not every one can say they sang on 2 Maiden records however badly received they were in some circles. By the way this latest album doesn't have label backing as Blaze said so from the stage. he's been burnt so badly from ecord companies that he said all future albums will come out on his own Blaze Bayley Recordings. I think this is part of the reason why the productions are not that good anymore as he can't afford the heavy Sneap sound anymore. Anyway Blaze is a legend.

Agreed. I even liked some of his Maiden songs like "Virus". The problem is his voice just didn't fit what Maiden is. Compared to a lot of these guys that go solo though, he smokes them. He's a really good songwriter in my opinion, and I would love it if he were to come to a progpower one year.

The first two studio albums and "As live as it Gets" smoke his material with Maiden - and this is coming from a die-hard Maiden nut who loves the Blaze era. Even his old band played the Maiden material so much better, tighter, and more energetically than Maiden. Check out the "As live..." version of "Virus" if you need proof. And yeah, the first two Blaze albums are great, overlooked pieces of work in my opinion. I think Tenth Dimension is an overall better work, but Silicon Messiah has his two best solo tunes (Stare at the Sun and Born as a Stranger).

The albums since have been a mixed bag for me. I thought Blood and Belief definitely had its big moments but not on par with the first two - and The Man Who Would Not Die was very disappointing. I just refuse to understand the hype of that album, it just doesn't click with me. I think the new album is better, but probably still his 2nd-from-worst. I need to listen to it more though.

I agree with most of what you say DTJeff. If the productions on the two Maiden albums Blaze appeared on where anywhere near the following Maiden albums they would be far more widely loved. Btw the Blaze version of The Clansman the other night was absolutely brilliant and the highlight of the whole gig. You're right about the energy the band puts in when playing these tunes. Same with Man on the Edge too but The Clansman is almost emotional at times.

I've been a huge Blaze fan since the first time I heard The X Factor, easily one of my favorite Maiden albums. Born As a Stranger off of Silicon Messiah is one of my favorite songs of all time too.

The first two studio albums and "As live as it Gets" smoke his material with Maiden - and this is coming from a die-hard Maiden nut who loves the Blaze era. Even his old band played the Maiden material so much better, tighter, and more energetically than Maiden. Check out the "As live..." version of "Virus" if you need proof. And yeah, the first two Blaze albums are great, overlooked pieces of work in my opinion. I think Tenth Dimension is an overall better work, but Silicon Messiah has his two best solo tunes (Stare at the Sun and Born as a Stranger).

The albums since have been a mixed bag for me. I thought Blood and Belief definitely had its big moments but not on par with the first two - and The Man Who Would Not Die was very disappointing. I just refuse to understand the hype of that album, it just doesn't click with me. I think the new album is better, but probably still his 2nd-from-worst. I need to listen to it more though.

I pretty much agree with all you said, except that I seem to like Blood & Belief more than you. For me, the first 3 Blaze albums are excellent. But TMWWND was VERY disappointing, I thought it was really average stuff. The new one is surely better, but still a far cry from the first 3 ones. Yes, missing Sneap's production doesn't help these 2 discs, but the lack of good songs (especially on TMWWND) is what hurts them most...

I've been a huge Blaze fan since the first time I heard The X Factor, easily one of my favorite Maiden albums. Born As a Stranger off of Silicon Messiah is one of my favorite songs of all time too.

I've Also been a big Blaze fan since the X-Factor! Sign Of The Cross,Man On The Edge, Edge Of Darkness. I also really LOVE Virtual XI as welll!!! The Clansman, Angel And The Gambler, and one of my personal
faves of his, Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger!:kickass:
I've always loved Blaze's vocal range too, being a singer myself!
Highly underated indeed!

Blaze is a completely genuine and nice bloke. I have seen him four times in the last year in small clubs and at festivals and he give 100% to his audience and to the metal cause. He will always meet up with the fans after and chat about his albums and metal. His current band are absolutely stonking and if you get a chance to witness the 'Blaze Experience' live you will not be disappointed. Oh, and he always slots in a couple of maiden tracks for the die-hards!

Support Blaze!
Up the Irons!

OMFG!:OMG: I just dld Silicon Messiah, and I'm blown the fuck away by it now!! This album is just KILLER AND DOES BLOW AWAY HIS MAIDEN STUFF (And yes, like you I'm a HUGE Die-Hard Maiden fan!!!) This totally proves
that Steve Harris & his production on both those albums was WAY THE FUCK OFF!!! Wtf, this absolutely RULES!!! :kickass:
Btw, are the other albums this freakin' good & heavy?!
(I dld all of them btw!:headbang:)

OMFG!:OMG: I just dld Silicon Messiah, and I'm blown the fuck away by it now!! This album is just KILLER AND DOES BLOW AWAY HIS MAIDEN STUFF (And yes, like you I'm a HUGE Die-Hard Maiden fan!!!) This totally proves
that Steve Harris & his production on both those albums was WAY THE FUCK OFF!!! Wtf, this absolutely RULES!!! :kickass:
Btw, are the other albums this freakin' good & heavy?!
(I dld all of them btw!:headbang:)

It is a hell of an album. The Tenth Dimension is good too, I didn't get as much into Blood & Belief and haven't even heard the 2 most recent, I'm a slacker. The live albums are great too, he can bring it.