BX8a issue - Time for new moni's?

Jan 10, 2005
So I was talking to someone else that used BX5a's about a couple of issues I started noticing more and more lately with my BX8a's. The issues are:

• Low headroom
• Levels are not accurate

I have been noticing more and more that I am pushing guitars way louder in the monitors than I think they should be, only to find out when listening on other systems (car, etc.) the guitars are just right actually. Really irks me because when monitoring they are way too loud in the mix. The person I was talking to about his BX5a's said he has to mix guitars louder than he thinks and drums lower, for the same exact reasons I am explaining. The BX8a's have a volume knob on the back like many other monitors. I have mine both set to about 75% (not sure what M-Audio recommends), when I have the volume on my 2626 at 50%, the monitors are super loud, which is awesome I guess, but everything sounds slammed and really gelled and overall you can tell the speakers are compressing. The problem with this is that when you listen to that same mix on another system, everything is actually more separated than the BX8a's would have you believe. For example, on the monitors the mix sounds really just slammed to shit, snare is barely making it through sometimes, guitars are really loud (as mentioned above), vocals sound quieter - BUT - go listen in the car and all of a sudden the drums have way more space, the vocals sit just right and the guitars likewise. WHAT THE FUCK.

Other than these couple of issues, the BX8a's so far have been really accurate translating to other systems, frequency-wise. I have never gotten something to sound one way on them and it sound way different in a car, etc. Guitar tones, drum tones, etc. always sound the same. It's just the levels thing with these monitors that bugs the shit out of me and even though I know the issue and know where things need to be - I shouldn't have to do this. I think if the monitors had more headroom to them then a lot of this would be fixed. Really I think that's the only issue as my friend with the 5a's runs his at 100% volume on the back and has the same problems.

I'm wondering if anyone else using BX8a's or 5a's is having the same issues.

SO. I may need to invest in a new set of monitors. How about Yamaha's HS80m's? Or maybe some Events? I will keep the BX8a's because, as I said, they are accurate frequency-wise so that's great to have laying around. I just need something more accurate for the levels as my main reference. I prefer the 8" monitors usually, but if I'm keeping the BX8a's I can use those for tracking/client impressing as long as my mains are accurate they can be 6-6.5" or something. Just something that works!

TBH I don't like my BX8as either. Everything sounds a bit jumbled together and messy, I like to try and blame myself for not being a world class mixer but this post has me thinking maybe the monitors are at least partly to blame. My mixes always have more definition in the car then they do when I'm listening through my monitors.

Don't know what I could replace them with that is affordable though. Focal CMS60s look good, I really want a pair of Dynaudio BM5as as well...

Even though I really like mine, I'd say you are correct. I find myself using the NS-10s more than the BX8s. I tend to use the BX8s just for checking out the low end.

I know what you mean, having moved from BX8A to ADAM A7 i can say that there is a very big difference, in my room the BX8A seemed to be much more Mid-Forward than the Adams,comparing them at the first listen i seemed to think the BX8A was clearer because of this but it was really just the mids sticking out. With the Adam everything is clear from bottom to top frequencies, the BX8A puts out more bass and volume but it's not really defined, i can understand even the low-end much better on the ADAMs.

Another very bad point for M-Audio is reliability. One of my speakers started to malfunction so i sent it to be repaired, after 2 months without answer they said they needed both speakers, so i sent the other... after a little more than 3 months i receive the speakers... Exactly as i sent them, one bad, one good, they didn't even look at it probably because the problem was impossible not to see by simply connecting them to an audio source. Sent them again... This happened in August, i still don't have the speakers, still repairing...

I use the BX8s and I don't really like them either. I have the same problems you have with levels, along with a generally shitty frequency response in my opinion.

Don't know what I could replace them with that is affordable though. Focal CMS60s look good, I really want a pair of Dynaudio BM5as as well...

fyi, i demo'd the focal cms50s and was quite let down. firstly, they're tiny (like genelec 8020 tiny), so i guess the 60s will be in the genelec 8030 ballpark. that's not a problem per se, except that they're putting out HUGE bass for that size, resulting in a hyped bottom end IMHO. the 60s might be different, with a more even representation of the sound, but the 50s were quite disappointing. they'd be great hifi desktop speakers, though ^^

as for the dynaudios, they're quite good i guess, but awfully similar to the yamaha hs80m...the dynaudios were a bit better in terms of imaging, but frequency wise they were very similar, except that the yammies go down deeper (8" woofer, go figure)....not quite sure if i'd shell out twice the money for the dyn's only for slightly better imaging.

personally, i seem to be an adam guy, so i'd recommend the A7's, possibly with a sub later on. check out the genelec 8030 too! total opposites of the adams, but that might just be your cup of tea. they're surprisingly good for a speaker that size. the midrange felt awkward at first, sorta stuffy sounding...maybe that'll go away after a break in period. the imaging was superb, though. the 8040 on the other hand are way better speakers (imho of course), but then again we're no longer talking affordable :D

in the budget realm, the hs80m will be hard to be, i'll give em that much....next step upwards will be mid-priced adams or the serious genelecs, namely 8040.
fwiw, for me it was between the bx8a's and the hs80m back when i got my first monitors, and i'm glad i went for the yammies.

TBH I don't like my BX8as either. Everything sounds a bit jumbled together and messy, I like to try and blame myself for not being a world class mixer but this post has me thinking maybe the monitors are at least partly to blame. My mixes always have more definition in the car then they do when I'm listening through my monitors.

Adam, I always thought you had some Adams (A7s)... dunno why.

I'm still (mostly) happy with my BX8as, though I a/b my mixes a lot with my AKG K702 headphones and I always test my mixes on my vintage hifi system (Marantz 2245 into JBL L100 Centuries.)

The dynamics are a bit squashed on the BX8as and they have a very noticeable upper mid spike, but I actually chose these qualities on purpose so that I don't make my guitars too loud or my mixes too compressed. I can say that these speakers helped me break a couple of bad mixing habits. The next step will be better monitors, but I'm not sure what I'd get next.

Sell your house, get Barefoots, be the homeless guy with the tightest mixes! :)

Reminds me of the review of the Manley Gold Reference Mic on Sweetwater.

The Best of the Best
by Gordolobo del Ri�on from Ensenada Von Hulsen, January 2004

If You want to get poor as quick as possible buy this MIC, do as I did it two months ago, I Spend all my money in this superGOLD mic and now Im Homeless but I still have my Gold Mic.

Don do It Manley pals are crazy as my.

I can't believe this review has been on Sweetwater for 6 years without somebody noticing it and deleting it. Totally awesome. :lol::lol::lol:

Just gotta picture someone lying under a bridge, freezing his ass off with nothing but a blanket... clinging to his Manley Gold Mic, whispering "my preciousssss". :lol:

But yeah homeless mixing must rule, just gotta get some diffusers for the bridge arch and a dynamo for some juice. haha.

Interesting, thanks for all the replies so far. I'm glad(?) to hear it's not just me with the same issues. That means I'm not crazy and it is the monitors at least. Sucks to hear about some quality and customer problems, I've never once had an issue with mine at all, I've actually been really surprised.

The A7's look like the big contender for me. I mean, the HS80M's would be the choice otherwise, in fact I might still just get the Yamahas and use them until I can afford the Genelecs I want to get. Or.... the A7s and not need to get the Genelecs so soon...

Or.... the A7s and not need to get the Genelecs so soon...

i suggest you demo them both (if you haven't already)....genelec and adams are *very* different sounding, some like the genelec some like the adam, but i find it hard to imagine anyone liking both ;) i guess it would be cool to have a pair of each to check mixes on, though :)
as i said above, adams have very forward upper mids and are very unforgiving - they tell you right away if e.g. the vocal sticks out too much.
genelecs on the other hand are sweeter, might have a tendency to make things sound better than they are - on the other hand i guess they'll be easier on the ears for long sessions.

Yeah, definitely depends on what you'd prefer to hear from your monitors. Working with unforgiving monitors tends to get really frustrating from time to time and you may get obsessed with some minor issues of your mix while ignoring the whole sound. The other type of monitors may be more pleasant to work with but they can leave you to believe your mix sounds awesome when in reality it doesn't.

Personally I'd rather have extremely honest monitors than ones that are deceiving. I can see how some would love the latter though.