Morbosidad - Profano La Cruz Del Nazareno
Necrovation - Breed Deadness Blood
Nyktalgia - Peisithanatos
Ogre - Plague Of The Planet
Portrait - Portrait
Revelation - Release
Valkyrie - Man Of Two Visions
Wastelander - Wardrive

I've tried to keep it mostly to 2008 stuff. I'll focus mostly on black metal and leave the other genres to people who know them far better. I'm leaving EPs/Splits out, unless you want that.

Black Metal

First 4 are must hears, the rest have no order.:

Velnias - Sovereign Nocturnal [Blackened Doom]
Misery's Omen - Hope Dies [Progressive Black Metal]
Caïna - Mourner [2007, Still elements of BM at this point, but influences such as Pink Floyd and The Cure make strong appearances, unique BM]
Caïna - Temporary Antennae [2008, Not really BM anymore, but their past puts them here. Again, very unique]

Anael - From Arcane Fires
Arckanum - Antikosmos
Darkspace - Darkspace III
Gris - Il était une forêt... [Depressive Black Metal]
Hennes Siste Høst - Høst [Black Metal in the vein of Taake]
Krallice - Krallice
Lifelover - Konkurs [Black Metal equivalent of Katatonia, quite interesting]
Sombres Forêts - Royaume De Glace
Taake - Taake
Thyrfing - Hels Vite
Walknut - Graveforests and Their Shadows
Winterfylleth - The Ghost of Heritage

Expect the Caina albums to be growers.

Death Metal

Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
Hail of Bullets …Of Frost and War [Martin Van Drunen]

Doom Metal

Astral Sleep - Unawakening (I'm going to have to post a separate Rec thread on this soon, it's quite good.)
Darkflight - Perfectly Calm
Ogre - Plague of the Planet
Skepticism - Alloy
The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror

Uncategorized

Daylight Dies - Lost to the Living
Opeth - Watershed

Edit: Revised List.

@Vittra - now I'm confused between Darkflight and Darkspace. Which one was being hailed at HC?

I want that Ogre based on what I heard in your car Matt, plus reviews, etc. I don't know, I'm kinda excited to hear something so ambitious.

Cool thread.

Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom

So, I'm assuming by the amount that this album gets reco'd by fucking EVERYONE, that listening to the band that absolutely no one cares about their politics anymore? Maybe we can finally get a fucking show out of them that's not at a KKK-rally.

@Vittra - now I'm confused between Darkflight and Darkspace. Which one was being hailed at HC?

I want that Ogre based on what I heard in your car Matt, plus reviews, etc. I don't know, I'm kinda excited to hear something so ambitious.

Cool thread.

Darkflight.

I bet it's Valkyrie. It can't be Arghoslent, but wouldn't that be fucking awesome anyways?

@EricT - I could care less about a band's ideologies, first and foremost is the music for me. There'd probably be 1 or 2 Skinheads ready to cause a problem at most if not all gigs, assuming they could even get into North America. Here in Toronto, I'd be surprised if someone would even book them.

You know, Kostogher has one of the creepiest album covers. Never heard them yet though

Certainly worth hearing the old stuff first before giving Antikosmos a shot in that case. Antikosmos has more of a thrashier/even punk feel, the older material is truer to their rawer, primal, black metal sound.