Chango Studios (Cameron Mizell) wants to mix a song of mine what would you do???

alan1990

Oct 17, 2007
Petoskey, Michigan
About a week ago I tracked a cover of Rebeca Blacks song Friday for my old band Famous Last Words for free. I figured that if it got big I would get some publicity off of the video. Anyway they just recently recorded a cd with Cameron Mizell Of Chango Studios and he heard the cover and offered to mix it for free to be included on there cd.

I already will be given a production credit on the bands cd for preproduction as he used almost all of my synths and orchestral stuff on there final version and would be given credit for everything in the cover except mix and master. I just kind of feel like Im selling myself short and I wont get as much exposure as I could letting him take it over

Last edited by a moderator:
It's up to the band I think. I can't tell from your post whether you're still in the band or not. Maybe someone more experience with the legality of all this can chime in, but I'm pretty sure the band owns the recorded files. You COULD always say a virus wiped them out if you were desperate to not have the guy mix it.

God damn... I made a shitty Friday metal cover too (it got 200k views lol) to try to bring some recognition to my band.... but none of our videos got over 1000 views and I had no producers e-mailing me :p

holy shit, you're in Glendale. If I wasn't in the bum-fuck-egypt opposite end of the spectrum of you (queen creek here) I'd say lets collaborate or hang. haha
Nice cover by the way. I have no advice to your question though. :lol:

First of all thanks guys.

I am no longer in the band but the thing is that its completely up to me the band are being really cool about this. Im pretty sure Im going to have him do it I can see how having a song mixed by him would excite alot of bands

If nothing else you can probably listen to the Chango mix compared to your session and learn some little tricks since you can A-B it.